Chief Development and Communications Officer (Full-time, Permanent)
Chief Development and Communications Officer (Full-time, Permanent)
Location: On site, our office is located in Toronto, Ontario
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Hiring Range: 130,000-150,000 annually, including a comprehensive benefits plan, pension plan, 3 weeks paid vacation (increasing to 4 weeks in second year of employment), a December break (usually a week) for collective rest; wellness days, access to an Employee Assistance Program and professional development opportunities
Job Posting Closing Date: January 8th, 2024
At the heart of Community Food Centre Canada’s work is the belief that food is a basic right. We bring people together around good food so communities can thrive. With more than 400 partners across the country, we build inclusive, culturally responsive Community Food Centres, share knowledge, create health-focused programs, and advocate for equitable policy change.
At Community Food Centres Canada (CFCC), we work on behalf of good food for all. Our collective approach at CFCC is founded on dignity and respect, equity and empathy. These values are core to our mission and outlined in our Good Food Principles.
About the Position:
We are seeking an experienced, dynamic and dedicated Chief Development and Communications Officer (CDCO )to join our team and drive our fundraising and communications efforts. This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated, results-driven, strategic, inclusive, collaborative, creative, mission and values-driven leader. It is a pivotal role as we embark on our next Strategic Plan (2024 – 2027) and a new chapter of sustainable growth in our organization.
CFCC is strongly committed to equity and inclusion within its community. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We are committed to an equitable and inclusive selection process and work environment.
We welcome candidates to speak about how their experience has demonstrated a commitment to Equity, Inclusion, Reconciliation and Anti-Oppression.
The successful candidate will bring significant experience in fundraising, and a well-rounded understanding of marketing, branding and strategic communications.
The role requires demonstrated success in growing a diverse and sustainable fundraising program and experience in elevating organizational visibility and brand.
Reporting to the CEO and a key member of CFCC’s Senior Leadership Team, the Chief Development and Communications Officer will:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive multi-year fundraising strategy to increase revenue from $11M to $14M annually by 2027
- Contribute to and oversee strategic communications and marketing;
- Work collaboratively to lead, inspire and support a team of skilled development and communications professionals in achieving shared organizational goals. You will have a vision for department change, growth and future needs while fostering a culture of collaboration and excellence;
- Contribute to CFCC’s vision and strategic development as the subject matter expert for development and communications and collaborate with the executive team to align department efforts with CFCC’s strategic priorities.
- Mentor, coach and supervise four direct reports: Director of Philanthropy, Director of Corporate and Community Giving, Director of Communications, and Salesforce Administrator;
- Foster a more cohesive Development and Communications department by encouraging and supporting cross team collaboration;
- Lead quarterly reporting to the Board of Directors on development and communications, including fundraising revenue projections;
- Ensure appropriate budget, resources, systems, policies, procedures, and processes are in place to support successful execution and measurement of development and communications initiatives;
- Align with CFCC values of Equity, Courage, Relationship-Focused, and Integrity;
- Contribute to the evolution of our culture, and a work environment grounded in our Equity, Inclusion, Reconciliation and Access Framework.
- Provide strategic direction for all aspects of CFCC’s national fundraising program, including major gifts, foundations, corporations, government funding, direct response and events;
- Contribute to the completion of a $25M capital campaign for our new home and a new Toronto CFC;
- Manage a portfolio of 20-25 major donors and prospects ($1M+), and achieve a personal annual fundraising target;
- Ensure fundraising strategies are executed according to CFCC’s values and principles;
- Provide oversight for fundraising capacity-building efforts of partner Community Food Centres and Good Food Organizations;
- Monitor and analyze fundraising metrics to assess performance and identify areas for improvement.
- Lead and support the Development Operations
Brand, Marketing and Communications
- Provide vision and leadership in efforts to strengthen CFCC’s brand and elevate its profile as an inspiring leader and trusted authority on food insecurity, poverty reduction, health and equity;
- In collaboration with Director of Communications, lead marketing, communication strategies and public awareness activities to increase brand visibility and stakeholder engagement including issues of poverty and food insecurity;
- Oversee the completion of a brand strategy refresh;
- Demonstrated ability to present complex information in a clear, compelling and concise manner.
- Demonstrated expertise using a fundraising CRM such as Salesforce, or equivalent.
Education & Experience
- A minimum of 5 – 7 years of progressive experience in fundraising/development leadership roles;
- Experience leading communications initiatives, including development communications;
- Experience in brand management, content strategy, media management and digital engagement is an asset;
- A university degree in a related discipline or equivalent relevant experience;
- Professional certification in a related discipline is an asset.
Knowledge & Skills
- Deep knowledge of best practices in Development and Communications;
- Demonstrated success in all aspects of development, including major gifts, annual, leadership giving, corporate and foundation support;
- Experience leading, managing and modeling best practices and systems to support stewardship throughout the donor lifecycle;
- Proven track record planning and executing multi-year fundraising campaigns;
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate, solicit and secure gifts at the $1M+ level;
- Experience developing and writing a broad range of donor communications, including case for support, major gift proposals, digital and direct mail appeals;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, and a natural ability to inspire trust and confidence among colleagues, donors, and partners;
- Strong emotional intelligence and maturity in managing both people and projects;
- Proven ability to drive strategic planning, manage team execution against measurable goals and objectives, and develop and manage budgets;
- Experience working with highly-skilled senior volunteers to support key development initiatives;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent financial literacy and experience with budgeting and forecasting;
- A commitment to evolving fundraising practices to align with the organization’s Equity, Inclusion, Reconciliation and Access goals;
- Passionate about working in an organization that values and promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and that strives to work from an anti-racism and anti-oppression framework;
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and reconciliation through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias.
Why work for us?
➔ Comprehensive benefits package including extended health, dental, short and long-term disability insurance, membership in a defined benefit pension plan, 15 paid vacation days in your first year, increasing to 20 paid vacation days in your second year of employment, a December break (usually a week) to recharge, wellness days, access to an Employee Assistance Program and professional development opportunities;
➔ A culture of mutual support where staff are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive Canada;
➔ An opportunity to be part of a movement building health, belonging and social justice in low-income communities across Canada through the power of food.
How to apply:
Please visit this link below and click Apply Now: https://cfccanada.applytojobs.ca/developmentandcommunications/26815
Please attach your resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please share what you think makes you an ideal candidate for this role. Only those applicants being considered will be contacted. If you require any accommodations or technical support, please email email@example.com (please do not email your application to this email). Thank you for your interest in CFCC.