Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Following several years of growth and success, and the upcoming retirement of our current CEO, West Park Foundation is currently seeking a new Chief Executive Officer to take our Foundation to its next stage of development. This is an exciting time to join the Foundation as we work together with the West Park Healthcare Centre helping to realize our vision of creating a world-class centre for rehabilitative and complex continuing care in Toronto.
Passionate about making a positive difference in the lives of others, the new CEO will be a dynamic, and values-driven leader who will drive revenue growth and community engagement in support of West Park Healthcare Centre’s mission. The successful candidate will combine an innovative business acumen with creative storytelling to help others see the impact of the incredible work done at West Park.
Critical deliverables for the CEO include leading the Foundation team to meet and exceed a $5M+ annual target; completing phase one of the $80M Get Your life Back Campaign while setting the Foundation up for future success in the completion of phase two; and strategically building the Foundations brand and profile in a manner that further supports annual and strategic objectives.
Reporting to the Foundation Board of Directors, and managing a dedicated staff team of 11, the successful candidate will employ exceptional fundraising and communication skills to inspire staff, volunteers, Healthcare Centre partners, donors, and other community supporters to build and sustain continuing revenue needs and meet campaign targets.
An experienced, energetic fundraising leader, the ideal candidate will bring proven success with major gifts and corporate partners, and with campaign leadership. A fearless networker and enthusiastic champion, the successful candidate will proactively reach out to potential supporters and will collaborate with internal partners and volunteers to grow the prospect pool and engage donors.
This is an opportune time to join the West Park Foundation as we are on the precipice of seeing the completion of the new hospital building, which will allow the new Foundation CEO to capitalize on fundraising momentum to drive support for ongoing and longer-term objectives.
WEST PARK HEALTHCARE CENTRE
West Park Healthcare Centre is building an integrated campus of care located near Jane and Weston Road in northwest Toronto. West Park has more than 1000 employees and 40+ physicians, plus the support of over 200 dedicated volunteers.
West Park Healthcare Centre helps patients get their lives back by providing specialized rehabilitative and complex care after a life‐altering illness or injury such as lung disease, amputation, stroke, and traumatic musculoskeletal injuries. In addition to 169 beds for continuing complex care, and 130 bed for rehabilitation and community living, West Park also has 200 beds for long-term care, helping the community that it serves.
NEW WEST PARK HOSPITAL
West Park’s new hospital will open its doors to patients in late 2023. Our new facility is at the heart of a stunning campus transformation that will enable us to continue providing the highest quality specialized rehabilitative and complex continuing care and meet the rising demand for our services. With the external structure of our new hospital largely complete, the interior spaces are now taking shape.
Our patients face some of life’s most difficult health challenges, including severe trauma, amputation, chronic lung disease, and spasticity, which is a debilitating symptom of stroke, cerebral palsy, and multiple sclerosis. They work hard to get back to their lives, supported by our skilled, caring team, and they deserve the very best care on their difficult journey.
Our new hospital will:
- recognize that a stay in rehab is measured in weeks and months, by providing greater comfort and privacy for patients and their families;
- maximize the rehabilitation time available to patients by clustering related services together and locating specialized therapy gyms on each unit floor;
- include 20 percent more beds, a necessary expansion as the population ages and more people are living with chronic disease and disability;
- double the space for outpatient clinics so more patients can benefit from our excellent care and sleep in their own beds at night;
- bring clinicians and researchers together in a collaborative working space, allowing our patients to benefit from the most up-to-date knowledge and techniques.
The new West Park will make great use of our beautiful, expansive grounds, visually integrating the indoor rehabilitative space with the invigorating outdoor environments. Each patient floor will have an outdoor terrace; the campus will have gardens, trails, and outdoor, multi-use rehabilitation spaces to help patients learn to navigate all types of terrain. This design celebrates West Park’s extraordinary setting, allowing patients to benefit from the healing power of nature.
ABOUT WEST PARK FOUNDATION
West Park Foundation has been an integral partner with West Park Healthcare Centre for almost four decades. The Foundation has partnered with the Centre to expand programs and facilities, support clinical research and education, and acquire new medical equipment.
West Park’s vision is to be a world-class centre of rehabilitative and complex continuing care. The support of our community is now more important than ever, as we build for the future, supporting innovative methods of treatment, leading-edge research, and excellence in patient care.
In June 2018, the Centre received final approvals on a massive new construction project valued at $1.2 billion that will include the construction of a six-story hospital overlooking the Humber River valley. The new hospital, scheduled to open in 2023, will include a 20% increase in inpatient beds and a significant increase in outpatient care space to serve double the current patient volume.
Today, we are in the midst of the largest fundraising endeavour in the history of our hospital: the Get Your Life Back Campaign. This campaign is raising $80 million towards the capital costs of our new hospital so we can continue providing the very best care for the growing number of people who need it. The campaign will be tackled in 2 phases, and $30M has been raised to date.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership, Strategy & Governance
- Capitalize on opportunities resulting from the completion of the new hospital to advance fundraising by developing and executing strategies to increase revenue to meet short and longer-term goals.
- Articulate and integrate the Foundation’s Vision, Mission and values into all donor resources and activities.
- Model the Foundation’s culture and values to staff, volunteers, hospital partners and the community.
- Determine alignment between the Foundation and West Park Healthcare Centre’s strategic and annual plans and build tactics to support the alignment of organization goals with strategic priorities.
- Lead, monitor, and leverage the multi-faceted, three-year “I Am Not Done” brand awareness campaign, executed in collaboration with the Healthcare Centre.
- Support Board oversight through the strategic planning process, regular reporting, attending meetings and supporting other Board activities in an ex-officio role.
- Assist in the recruitment, orientation and ongoing support of Board, Campaign and other senior volunteers, supporting their ability to complete activities that ensure the fundraising needs of the Foundation.
- Identify, assess and propose mitigation strategies to the Board regarding internal and external risk factors, which may affect Foundation operations and/or reputation.
- Model a commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, and incorporate these values into all Foundation activities.
Key Stakeholder Relationships
- Act as the key contact for major donors and major donor prospects, working closely with other fundraising staff, hospital partners and key volunteers as required.
- Function as a spokesperson for the organization, alongside the Foundation Board Chair.
- Nurture and build the relationship with the Healthcare Centre CEO, senior leadership team and other key stakeholders across the Healthcare Centre to create mutually supportive relationships that help meet revenue goals.
- Identify and build strategic relationships with key volunteers, donors, media, and strategic vendor partnerships that will further the objectives of the Healthcare Centre and Foundation.
- Act as an ambassador for the Foundation both internally with the Healthcare Centre and externally throughout the community, building relationships in a strategic manner that contribute to a culture of giving and support for the Healthcare Centre.
Operations & People Management
- Lead the Foundation team to meet and exceed a $5M+ annual target and complete the $80M Get Your Life Back Campaign.
- Work with the Foundation’s leadership team to create, execute, monitor and report on the delivery of the annual budget and operating plan, ensuring its ongoing alignment with strategic priorities.
- Work with the finance staff and the Board Treasurer to oversee the effective fiscal management and controls for the Foundation.
- Implement innovative post-Covid initiatives that drive revenue for community fundraising activities and events.
- Identify and create an organizational structure with adequate resources to deliver on annual goals and objectives.
- Implement policies and procedures and create systems as required to support overall efficiency of Foundation activities.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services.
- Work with the senior leadership team to manage, coach and mentor Foundation staff to meet annual goals and objectives.
- Develop and retain a strong senior leadership team and implement succession planning processes that identifies key talent across the organization.
- Oversee the staff performance management process which includes monitoring the performance on an ongoing basis and conducting annual performance reviews.
- Ensure the development of team and individual goals and performance targets with measurable outcomes are created and assessed on a regular basis.
- Work with the Development, Marketing and Communications teams to create initiatives and tactics which will build the Foundation brand and profile.
- Establish a positive, healthy, and safe work environment in accordance with required legislation and regulations.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments and that all applicable tax filings are accurate and timely.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Significant demonstrated success contributing to fundraising programs and projects, such as major gift fundraising, capital campaigns, planned giving, and annual campaigns.
- Senior leadership experience in a charity or non-profit with a focus on fundraising and/or marketing. Candidates who bring transferrable skills from the corporate sector may be considered so long as they have strong relevant fundraising volunteer experience with a comparable Board and/or Campaign cabinet.
- Major gift fundraising success, including direct involvement in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors.
- Strategic thinker with a proven ability to operationalize strategic objectives into successful annual business plans.
- Outstanding oral and written communications and presentation skills, and the ability to communicate effectively and transparently with a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success building, leading, and inspiring high-functioning teams.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with hospital leadership and colleagues, or their equivalent in a non-healthcare environment.
- Experience developing effective organizational systems and processes.
- A successful track record of leading cultural change and other change mandates.
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge and skills in communications, marketing, and public relations.
- Strong understanding of trends in the philanthropic sector with the ability to use and share this knowledge in a manner that inspires fundraising innovation and advances current and longer-term goals and activities.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety etc.
- Tenacious, resilient, and energetic, with a positive outlook and attitude.
APPLICATION PROCESS & DEADLINE
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of West Park Foundation. For more information about this exciting opportunity, contact Tara George, Lead Search Partner, or Samantha David, Associate Vice President, KCI Search + Talent by email at WPF@kcitalent.com
To view full Executive Brief, please visit www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by August 3, 2022.
The base salary for this position is $200,000 – $235,000 plus a bonus incentive program (up to 15%). A range of excellent benefits are provided, including Hospitals of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP).
At West Park Healthcare Centre Foundation, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and accessible environment, an important part of living our brand. We are dedicated to building a staff and board that reflects the diversity of our community.