Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Ontario Shores Foundation for Mental Health is seeking a results-driven, relationship-focused, and community-minded leader to serve as our Chief Executive Officer (CEO). As the Foundation’s lead fundraiser, the CEO will bring deep knowledge and proven success in cultivating relationships, building partnerships, and fostering engagement. The Foundation CEO will be a champion and ambassador for Ontario Shores, continually striving to increase our presence, build positive brand awareness, and drive revenue to support the hospital’s exemplary and transformative care.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Foundation CEO will be accountable for the performance of the Foundation, setting and achieving annual and multi-year goals that are aligned with the Board, the mission of the Foundation, and the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences. The new incumbent will develop the strategy, execute the programs and operations of the Foundation, and lead the Foundation team.
The Foundation CEO will bring a business-minded approach to working with the Foundation Board and leadership volunteers providing information, direction, and fundraising best practices that will enable the Board to make sound decisions and heighten our collective impact. With experience engaging senior volunteers in major gift prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, the successful candidate will effectively draw on current donors and referrals as well as explore new donor audiences to build a robust portfolio.
The successful candidate will support a culture of performance by developing and implementing plans that maximize the Foundation’s potential. The CEO will value and embrace their role as leader, mentor, and coach to a capable team, providing focus around individual goals and expectations while maximizing the contribution of each team member.
The Foundation CEO will work closely with the Hospital’s Chief Executive Officer and senior leadership team and clinical colleagues, valuing and leveraging their collective knowledge and expertise. The new incumbent will build and sustain strong collegial relationships with physicians and clinicians encouraging their participation in developing fundraising priorities and in the cultivation and stewardship of potential donors; engaging them in the hospital’s unique and innovative approach to mental health services that are focused on recovery, hope and inspiration through discovery.
Located about 30 minutes east of Toronto, Ontario Shores is located in Whitby, Ontario, atop 76 acres of Lake Ontario’s shoreline. The Foundation offices are co-located in the main Health Sciences facility. It is a serene environment that features beautiful gardens, walking paths, gazebos, and outdoor eating areas.
The Foundation offers a flexible environment with a combination of in-office and occasional remote work as well as substantial time in the community and with stakeholders.
About Ontario Shores Foundation for Mental Health
The Ontario Shores Foundation for Mental Health was founded in 2009 to support mental health and recovery at Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores). In partnership with our donors, staff, patients, and community, we lead change through numerous fundraising initiatives that have supported the tools and resources needed for program and technical enhancements, innovation and research projects, and the essential needs for our patients.
Creating a sense of hope is one of the greatest gifts we can give to those living with complex mental health challenges. Together we are helping patients get access to the compassionate, recovery-based care they need to fully participate in an inclusive and stigma-free society.
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is a public teaching hospital providing a range of specialized assessment and treatment services to those living with complex and serious mental illnesses. Exemplary patient care is delivered through safe and evidence-based approaches where successful outcomes are achieved using best clinical practices and the latest advances in research. Patients benefit from a recovery-oriented environment of care built on compassion, inspiration, and hope.
We have an innovative approach to mental health care that uses clinical best practices and evidence-based care in an environment built on compassion, empowerment, and hope. We are proud to be part of the community and work together with organizations across all sectors to provide care and support for individuals and their loved ones affected by mental illness.
Ontario Shores has introduced new models of care and developed professional standards to ensure all staff, patients, volunteers and visitors embrace recovery and provide a professional and therapeutic setting for our patients.
We provide leadership and exemplary mental health care through specialized treatment, research, education, and advocacy.
Our vision is bold and transformational. Ontario Shores is recognized by many as having a holistic approach to mental health care and unique services that are focused on recovery, hope and inspiration through discovery.
Recovering Best Health – Ontario Shores provides specialized care focused on individual paths to recovery and mental wellness. Our highly skilled staff are leaders in promoting optimum well-being. Our comprehensive services and innovative practices are integrated with our community partners.
Nurturing Hope – Our advocacy with the community eliminates the stigma of mental illness. Our commitment to care extends beyond the scope of client recovery to educating and informing our families and communities. We proudly embrace diversity and offer individualized care.
Revolutionizing Care – We have a global impact on the way in which mental health care is delivered. We lead system innovation with our partners to transform care. Our use of real-time data, research, analytics and measurement drive the highest standard of care.
We aim for Excellence – through leadership and learning, we achieve exceptional performance in all we do, while fostering an environment of optimism, hope, and recovery.
We encourage Innovation – through research and creative approaches, we support the advancement of mental health care.
We value Safety – we provide a safe and healing environment for our clients and a sense of security for our patients’ families, our employees, and the community at large.
We Respect all individuals – encouraging diversity and treating everyone with dignity while embracing the rights, beliefs, opinions, and contributions of others.
We are a Community – we work together as one team, and with families, providers, and the public as our partners, while maintaining mutual trust, transparency, and shared purpose to enhance our patients’ quality of life.
2022 – 2026 Strategic Plan
Our 2022 – 2026 Strategic Plan, We., guides our work. The three Strategic Directions collectively drive our organization forward:
Additional Background and Resources
- About the Ontario Shores Foundation
- About the Ontario Shores Centre
- Strategic Plan 2022 – 2026
- 2021 – 2022 Donor Impact Report
- Annual Reports
- Ontario Shores Foundation Board of Directors
- Ontario Shores Centre Leadership Team
- Ontario Shores Centre Board of Directors
Strategy, Planning & Leadership
- Develop annual and long-range plans aligned with the vision and strategic direction for the Foundation, in concert with the Board of Directors and in collaboration with the Hospital.
- Determine short and long-term goals and direct and oversee operational plans, projects and programs to achieve those goals.
- Build the broad capacity of the Foundation by building on existing strengths and developing new opportunities while managing available resources to ensure maximum efficiencies and results.
- Work with the Hospital CEO and leadership team to ensure full integration and coordination of programs to leverage donor engagement and fundraising results and to define financial requirements for alignment with philanthropic sources of funding.
- Foster effective teamwork among the Board, staff, volunteers, hospital leadership and external stakeholders.
- Participate in the identification, cultivation, recruitment, and retention of Board members and other key volunteers who contribute to the Foundation’s development activities.
Fundraising, Donor Relations & Community Engagement
- Directly manage a personal portfolio of top-tier prospects and donors including individuals and foundations, and strategic partnerships with corporations and other organizations.
- Develop strategy and action-oriented plans to continue to build successful Major Gifts and Planned Giving programs with robust pipelines of major gift donors.
- Identify opportunities for, and participate in, activities that help to build awareness of Ontario Shores and to foster a culture of philanthropy.
- Develop effective strategies for donor recognition, stewardship, and engagement to ensure effective donor relations are implemented across all donor levels.
- Engage donors in imagining and realizing significant improvements in mental health care in our community.
- Identify key physicians, clinicians, and senior staff to act as Foundation ambassadors and to help develop key donor relationships.
- In partnership with the hospital marketing and communications team, work to increase awareness of the Foundation, the hospital, its programs and services in order to garner greater financial support.
- Build close and effective relationships internally (the Boards; staff) and externally (donors and prospects; Durham region and broader GTA community; general public) in order to enhance short- and long-term philanthropic support of Ontario Shores.
- Maintain relationships with other healthcare philanthropy professionals and other networks to ensure ongoing knowledge of best practices and ensure strategic monitoring of best practices in the sector and contribute to their implementation within the Foundation.
Human Resource Management
- Provide inspirational leadership to a dedicated team of fundraising professionals, driving the execution of diversified development programs.
- Ensure the effective recruitment, development, performance, and support of Foundation staff and volunteers to achieve the Foundation’s vision and financial goals.
- Provide leadership, management, and coaching to the Foundation’s employees, ensuring that the Foundation is optimally organized and staffed.
- Establish performance measures and goals for all direct reports, which are aligned with the goals of the Foundation. Ensure annual reviews and assessment.
- Work with and regularly communicate with the Board to support their efforts in policy development, and ensure accountability, transparency and appropriate risk management.
- Direct all Foundation administrative functions including strategy and planning, budgets and financials, and ensuring fiduciary compliance.
- Plan and execute operational plans for all revenue streams, and develop benchmarks to measure and monitor performance against these plans.
- Determine appropriate goals, targets and metrics to ensure that all philanthropic fundraising efforts are effective, efficient, and successful.
- Ensure the Foundation’s compliance with legal, regulatory, and ethical standards.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
- Progressive experience in senior management or executive leadership roles in a fundraising environment; alternatively, a successful background in sales and/or marketing ideally in a not-for-profit environment.
- Broad fundraising experience with proven success soliciting major gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations and community organizations.
- Proven ability to effectively and passionately communicate with a wide variety of audiences.
- Exceptional relationship-building and networking skills, with a demonstrated ability to authentically connect with people in a variety of levels and types of organizations, including with senior leaders.
- Business development skills and entrepreneurial spirit in order to drive new connections and partnerships with hospital and community stakeholders.
- Expertise in Board relations and supporting effective governance boards.
- Strong collaborative leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to engage, inspire, coach and sustain contributions from staff, volunteers, and colleagues.
- Ability to develop and execute effective strategies and operational plans that deliver results.
- Strong knowledge of financial, legal and regulatory requirements of a non-profit organization.
- Business acumen and experience, including strategic, financial, analytical, and operational skills.
- Strong communication skills, including listening, speaking, and writing.
- Familiarity with and experience in the productive application of systems, data and software for the support of fundraising programs and donor management.
- Working knowledge of marketing and communications in order to support brand building and awareness initiatives.
- University degree is preferred for this role; an equivalent combination of education and related work experience will be considered.
- Experience and/or interest working within the healthcare sector would be considered an asset.
- CFRE designation would be considered an asset.
For More Information
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf Ontario Shores Foundation for Mental Health. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Vice President, Search + Talent by email at ONShores@kcitalent.com
To view full Executive Brief please visit www.kcitalent.com
Please send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by August 5, 2022
The salary range for this position $160,000 – $190,000 plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Ontario Shores is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. Ontario Shores is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise us during the recruitment process.
All new hires must be fully vaccinated (two weeks post second dose) prior to starting employment with Ontario Shores (note: those seeking a medical exemption or an exemption related to a Human Rights Code Ground must provide documentation for approval).