ABOUT THE STOP:
The Stop Community Food Centre’s mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds community and challenges inequality. The Stop began 40 years ago as one of North America’s first food banks, and has since grown into a vibrant community centre that uses food as a gateway to addressing many issues, including poverty, the environment, social isolation, and health in one of Toronto’s lowest-income neighbourhoods.
The Stop is seeking a passionate and persuasive communicator to join our team as Communications Officer. The Communications Officer will drive the creation of community-centric communications that animate The Stop’s brand and give voice to our diverse community. The ideal candidate is strategic, a creative thinker, and a solid writer with a passion for food, community and social justice.
This position reports to the Director of Development and Communications and will be an integral member of a team of 5.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Development and Communications to create and implement a strategic communications plan that animates The Stop’s brand and galvanizes support around the issues of food security, income security and social connection
- Manage a vibrant digital communications program that includes content creation, analytics, e- newsletters, e-campaigns, managing the website and social media accounts
- Engage with the media and develop opportunities to share stories from The Stop community and advocate for change
- Engage and lead external vendors on the development of public awareness campaigns
- Responsible for creating and updating donor materials such as brochures, signs, campaign videos and materials, etc.
- Work with a small team of volunteers and guide them in digital marketing, content creation, and more.
- Work with the fundraising team to craft appeals and campaign copy.
- Stays aware of new and best practices in communications, to develop and propose new ideas
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- 2-3 years of related marketing or communications work experience; non-profit sector experience preferred.
- Demonstrated passion for and understanding of food and social justice issues, with a commitment to anti-racism and anti-oppression. Personal values aligned with those of the organization, demonstrated through work or community involvement
- Self-motivated with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong story-telling, graphic design, and video editing experience.
- Knowledgeable with most of the following or equivalent: MailChimp, WordPress, Elementor, SEO, Microsoft Teams, One Drive, Outlook, Canva, Adobe, Social Media Analytics and Ad Centre.
- Ability to problem-solve, multi-task, meet tight deadlines, work with staff across the organization, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Team player who thrives in a collaborative working/management style. Highly motivated and resourceful with a good sense of humour;
- Ability to write quickly, clear and strategically, with appropriate styles for different audiences;
- Degree or certificate in communications, marketing, journalism, or related field an asset but not required
Start date: Immediate
Hours: 37.5 hours/week, full-time, permanent
Salary: $57,525 annually + benefits package
Application Closing Date: March 13, 2023
Applications must be received by March 13, 2023. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
No faxes, emails, or telephone calls, please.
Include a cover letter and resume to the attention of Hiring Committee with the subject Communications Officer.
The Stop is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. If you identify as a person with disability and require any specific accommodations during the hiring process, please let us know in advance along with your application. The Stop is committed to providing ongoing training and supports to ensure success in this role. Thank you for your interest in The Stop.