Coordinator, Events and Community Programs
Coordinator, Events and Community Programs
Employment Terms: F/T, Permanent
Start Date: August 2022
Upper Canada College (UCC) is focused on making the world a more just and inclusive place through dialogue and teamwork. With a commitment to equity and fairness, students learn that what makes us different as individuals makes us stronger as a community. A rigorous academic program is supported by accomplished faculty, exceptional co-curricular programming, and state-of-the-art facilities. The UCC experience is underpinned by five core values: learning, pluralism, service, community, and wellbeing. Among its strategic goals is UCC’s ambition to become more diverse and inclusive. This is supported by a recognition that no learning community is whole without the inclusion and amplification of multiple voices; UCC is committed to fostering belonging, striving for justice and peace among all people, and addressing systemic and structural forms of oppression.
Our alumni community of more than 12,500 in 80+ countries include leaders and innovators in politics, finance, arts, athletics, media and beyond. We are proud that approximately 20 percent of UCC students receive financial assistance from the school’s sector-leading program, with $5 million available annually to Canadian students.
We are seeking an organized, collaborative, creative and responsive Coordinator, Events and Community Programs to support the development and implementation of a robust portfolio of community events and programs. This is a newly created role to support the growth of innovative community engagement opportunities that support UCC’s values and advancement. With a vision to inspire students to be their best selves and grounded in our mission to provide transformational learning experiences, this is a unique and exciting time for engagement opportunities that build flourishing communities as part of UCC’s strategic directions towards the College’s 200th anniversary in 2029 and beyond.
The Coordinator will support the development of meaningful engagement opportunities like UCC’s signature events, alumni and community events, as well as other events and activities that strengthen community and support the College’s mission. As a detail-oriented and results-driven event professional, the Coordinator will play a hands-on role in the entire events and programs lifecycle including the development of innovative ideas, critical paths and budgets, coordination of logistics and volunteers, and post-event evaluation.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Events and Community Programs, the Coordinator will collaborate with functional areas across the College community with particular focus on initiatives created for alumni, parents, past parents, grandparents, and friends.
UCC offers flexible work arrangements based on the needs of the position.
Events and Program Coordination and Execution
- Implement community relations strategies and plans to increase awareness and appreciation of UCC in the community, and engage the community in College life.
- In collaboration and support of the Associate Director, Events and Community Programs, the incumbent will contribute to the planning and delivery of events and community programs, including:
- Signature events such as Association Day, Founders Dinner, Norval Days, Alumni Weekend, Reunions, etc.
- College events, such as Leaving Class Ceremony, Remembrance Day Ceremony, etc.
- Events and activities related to UCC fundraising initiatives.
- Play a hands-on role in the entire events and programs lifecycle including but not limited to the development of innovative ideas, critical paths, site maps, emergency plans, volunteer coordination, coordination of logistics, day-of execution (set up and tear down), and post-event evaluation and data entry.
- Coordinate with vendors such as caterers, staffing agencies, printers, and other suppliers, as required, while developing and maintaining positive relationships.
- Use technology for event delivery to ensure accessibility by various demographics.
Marketing and Communications
- Works closely with the Marketing and Communications team to develop materials for community events such as invitations, programs, signage, etc.
- Support the development of event and community programs content, including speaking notes, alumni communications, social posts, etc.
- Setup and manage events in Raiser’s Edge database.
- Develop and maintain trusting relationships with alumni, parents, faculty and staff and provide event support and expertise when appropriate.
- Develop and maintain trusting relationships with key volunteers, staff and internal suppliers for the purpose of delivering events (Aramark, security, facilities, etc.).
- Support the Community Relations team with general office administration as required.
- Track expenses related to events and community programs and support the preparation of final budget reports.
- Maintain and update constituent data in Raiser’s Edge where appropriate. Prepare Raiser’s Edge queries and reports and ensure Raiser’s Edge is updated throughout the event cycle.
- Set up and maintain the Community Relations storage spaces and manage the inventory of event materials.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Key Experience, Knowledge and Competencies:
- Collaborative, energetic disposition with demonstrated creativity and passion for creating impactful events and experiences.
- 2-3 years applicable experience in events and/or community program coordination, including creating critical paths, production schedules, event reporting, working with suppliers and tracking expenses.
- Exceptional organization, planning and time management skills combined with a strong attention to detail.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication, problem solving, negotiation and mediation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop strong professional relationships with colleagues, suppliers, and community members.
- Capable of exercising independent judgment and initiative in a fast pace, dynamic and deadline driven environment with willingness to adapt and change based on the unique and diverse needs of the UCC community.
- Experience in a multi-level organization and working with colleagues in a hybrid format.
- Committed to teamwork, collaboration, mutual respect and a fundamental belief in our vision, mission and values.
- University degree or college diploma in event management or in a related field, or an equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- Availability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, and travel as required;
- The role will require some lifting, bending, standing and walking in order to facilitate event logistics.
If you have the majority of the qualifications we’re looking for, we encourage you to express your interest by submitting your application.
Please apply online by creating a “Management/Professional” profile account by Thursday July 21, 2022. We thank all candidates in advance; however, we will contact only those selected for an interview.
Please complete all application instructions below when applying.
As part of your application please include a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, address the following prompt:
- Upper Canada College values diversity as a source of strength. How would you contribute to the diversity of Upper Canada College?
To learn more about us please visit our site at www.ucc.on.ca
For more info about working at UCC please visit: https://www.ucc.on.ca/welcome/careers
UCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals and welcome applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons. UCC embraces pluralism – celebrating differences, cherishing similarities, and giving voice to multiple perspectives. If you are contacted regarding a UCC opportunity, please advise if you require any accommodations.