Development Administrative Assistant
About Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada
Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is our country’s leading charity dedicated to improving the lives of children and youth growing up in the child welfare system. We raise and grant funds and deliver a wide range of high-impact programs and services in partnership with child- and youth-serving agencies across the country.
Our vision is to create a world where the children and youth we serve have the strength and resilience to forge a bright and positive future. Join us and together we will help empower children, youth and families involved with the child welfare system go from surviving to thriving.
The Foundation is a dynamic and growing organization committed to delivering excellence and maximizing the social value of donations and volunteer contributions to child welfare in Canada. Last year we raised over $17.5M supporting 19,568 children, youth and families across Canada.
You picked an incredible moment to join the Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada! We are leading a bold and ambitious transformational strategy that will drive growth and awareness and ultimately lead to increased funds to better serve our three priority areas:
1) children and families at risk,
2) children and youth living in government care, and
3) youth transitioning out of care.
Purpose of the Position
The Development Administrative Assistant provides direct executive support in a one-on-one working relationship with the Chief Development Officer as well as administrative and coordination support to the Development team overall.
The ideal individual will have strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills. To be successful in this position, the candidate must take initiative, be results and solutions oriented, and have the demonstrated ability to effectively multi-task and prioritize workflow. The successful incumbent will be an active, relationship-oriented member of the Development team working collaboratively with all departments.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks including managing email, calendar, expense reports, database entries and filing.
- Draft donor correspondence, meeting briefs and materials, meeting notes and follow ups.
- Draft internal and external correspondence.
- Assist in coordinating the agenda, documents, and materials for internal and external meetings.
- Support with Board materials and correspondence.
- Stay abreast of CDO’s upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Manage a variety of special projects for the CDO.
Development Team Support
- Manage the Development Team budget.
- Coordinate the Development Team filing system.
- Correspond with the Finance team on pledge collections.
- Help manage Development policies and procedures.
- Assist in data/pipeline pulls and coordinate the Development team moves management meeting, as required
- Assist in the preparation for fundraising and other CAFC events.
- Coordinate professional development and team building opportunities.
- Support the CDO and Dev Directors in the development, coordination and implementation of business plans.
- Act as CAFC ambassador at all Development and Foundation events.
Competencies and Skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks with a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proactive approaches to problem solving, with a results-based orientation.
- A team player, with the ability to also be extremely effective independently.
- Evidence of initiative, tact, diplomacy.
- A high level of working knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office, Raisers Edge/NXT or other database, and Social Media platforms is an asset.
- Alignment to organizational values: “VOICE”: Vital learning and innovation; Open Communications; Inclusion and diversity; Care and compassion; Empowering accountability
- Relevant post-secondary degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Charitable sector experience, or transferable experience of a business development role
- French language would be considered an asset
Hours of work
- Regular office hours: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Occasional evenings and weekends during busy periods
- Vacation restrictions during busy periods
CAFC provides equal employment opportunities to employees regardless of their gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from equity seeking groups, including members of communities that are overrepresented in the child welfare system. We offer a family-friendly environment that allows for flexible work arrangements in order to support staff diversity and ensure a healthy work-life balance.
We offer: 4 weeks vacation per year, plus 3 float days, participation in the OMERS Pension Plan with contributions matched 100% by the employer, a comprehensive benefits package (including medical, dental, life and disability), Employee Assistance Program and a competitive salary.
CAFC staff are currently working in a hybrid work model, working remotely and in the downtown Toronto office at least 1 day a week.
We acknowledge that the Foundation’s main office is located in Toronto, which is the traditional territory of many nations including the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, the Haudenosaunee, and the Wendat peoples and is now home to many diverse First Nations, Inuit and Métis. The area now known as Toronto is covered by Treaty 13. Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is committed to supporting meaningful reconciliation between Indigenous peoples and others in these lands and across Canada.
To apply, please forward a current resume, with covering letter in one single document, detailing how your qualifications match this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “DAA May 2023” in the subject line of your email by June 23, 2023.
We thank all candidates for their interest in the work of Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada; but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.