ASSOCIATION OF FUNDRAISING PROFESSIONALS
FOUNDATION FOR PHILANTHROPY – CANADA
Position: Development Associate (Full-time Position)
Reports To: Director, AFP Canadian Services (Executive Director, AFP Greater Toronto Chapter)
Closes: Friday, December 9, 2022
The Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) is the professional association of individuals and organizations that generate philanthropic support for a wide variety of charitable institutions. AFP represents more than 27,000 members in more than 240 Chapters throughout the world, working to advance philanthropy through advocacy, research, education, and certification programs. The Association fosters development and growth of fundraising professionals and promotes high ethical standards in the fundraising profession. AFP serves over 3,200 Canadian members within 21 chapters across the country.
AFP has inspired global change and supported efforts that have generated over $1 trillion. AFP’s individual and organizational members raise over $115 billion annually, equivalent to one-third of all charitable giving in North America, and millions more around the world.
AFP Foundation for Philanthropy – Canada is the philanthropic arm of AFP and its Chapters in Canada. Through the provision of grants to chapters, members and non-members, and supporting AFP initiatives, the Foundation is enhancing ethical practice, building satisfying careers, and strengthening the sector and society.
This position is full-time at the AFP Greater Toronto Chapter, with some evening hours. The AFP Greater Toronto Chapter operates under a hybrid model with staff expected to work in the office up to two days per week (in office or on-site may increase in weeks leading up and during orchestration of events). The AFP Greater Toronto Chapter office is located in downtown Toronto.
The ideal candidate is an independent and energetic individual who is able to manage multiple projects on differing timelines simultaneously.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Oversees all aspects of the Foundation’s annual fund campaign, including tele-fundraising, stewardship, and donation record-keeping.
- Financial record keeping, including the creation of invoices and submission of invoices for payment.
- Minute-taking and report creation.
- Working with volunteers to further the Foundation’s mission, by attending Committee and Board meetings, answering questions, pulling reports and performing other duties as necessary.
- Processing donations and distributing donation receipts.
- Data processing.
- Representing the Foundation at AFP events, including staffing a Foundation Booth and processing donations onsite.
The incumbent must be fluent in English. French language proficiency is preferred.
Post-secondary degree or diploma, experience working with volunteers, and a minimum of two years’ experience in a relevant field.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- The ideal candidate will be interested in pursuing a career in the Fundraising, Association Management, or non-profit sectors
- Must be able to communicate effectively and clearly with individuals at high levels, both internally and externally, in a timely and diplomatic manner
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and follow through on all requests in a timely and appropriate manner
- Must be innovative, creative, highly motivated self-starter
- Must have the ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects and maintain high attention to detail
- Must have extensive experience with a variety of technology platforms and tools, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office, AMS databases, Adobe Acrobat, Power Point, and payment and donation processing software
- Advanced level skills with Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Excel and Word)
- Database experience
- Must have strong proactive volunteer/donor relations skills
- Must have knowledge of financial reporting and Microsoft Excel
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data for concise reporting
- Experience in financial record-keeping and reporting
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills (oral and written)
- High level of accuracy and detail-oriented
- Quick learner on new systems and software
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a small, diverse staff team and volunteers
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands
Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000. Salary is commensurate with experience.
AFP is proud to offer a health spending account, as well as a professional development stipend.
The Association of Fundraising Professionals – Greater Toronto Chapter is committed to fairness and equity in employment and our recruitment and selection practices. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, members of racialized groups, women and any others who may contribute to the further diversification of our Chapter staff team. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are asked to make their requirements known in advance.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis with an anticipated start date of January 2023. Interested candidates should e-mail a copy of their cover letter and resume outlining their relevant experience to email@example.com in order to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be held via Zoom starting the week of December 12th.
For more details or questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.