Development Communications Manager
Temporary, full-time position (from February 2022 to January 19, 2024) – Guelph, ON
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) advances the mission of the University of Guelph by raising private support and building relationships with a broad range of stakeholders ranging from alumni and friends, to corporations and foundations. This is where you can make your mark as a relationship builder and communications professional with superior writing skills.
As Development Communications Manager, you will be a vital member of the AA&D team and, as such, epitomize the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation, and forward focus. More specifically, you will be an integral part of the Engagement Services team, supporting the department’s ambitious fundraising targets, working collaboratively across the department, as well as creating and managing high-value donor proposals, in support of the University’s funding priorities and AA&D’s goal of attracting $50-million in philanthropic support each year.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Advancement Marketing and Communications, you will work closely with the front-line advancement team, creating “prospect tailored” branded proposals and key messaging through the solicitation phase, researching all aspects of the proposal and obtaining approvals. You will also lead the development of support documents, presentations and other strategic fundraising collateral, aligned with current University fundraising priorities and aimed at inspiring and guiding prospects in consideration of major philanthropic support at the University. Your responsibilities will include:
- Working closely with the fundraising team to develop strategy and execution of tailored communication vehicles (i.e., presentations, briefs, pitch materials, leave-behind pieces) for specific donors, with philanthropic asks ranging from $100K to $15M.
- Researching all aspects of the proposal to ensure continuity and accuracy of all key components.
- Translating complex information into a market-ready proposal, tailored to the prospect/donor.
- Developing a deep understanding of top-prospect interests and motivations, and conveying complex problems and opportunities in a way that is inspiring and timely.
- Collaborating with team members to develop a visually appealing layout of donor-specific content.
- Utilizing page layout software (Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign) to design materials and using in-house templates provided by the Marketing and Communications team.
- Collaborating on print and digital fundraising collateral, promotional materials, web content, and case-for-support documents.
- Supporting ad hoc development writing, editing, and researching requests.
The following skills, experiences and credentials will set you apart as a candidate for the role of Development Communications Manager:
- University degree in communications, marketing, or a related discipline, with five (5) years’ experience in fundraising communications and a track record of securing major gifts.
- Superior writing skills, having demonstrated, through a portfolio of samples, professional-level writing ability with respect to style, organization and structure, appropriateness to subject, breadth of subject matter and clear understanding of the target audience(s) and presentation of key message(s).
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
- High level of skill with InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of graphic design, publication layout and publishing processes.
- Excellent demonstrated analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of university advancement and fundraising principles, specifically relating to campaigns, proposals and case-for-support documents.
- Familiarity with CRA guidelines and ethical fundraising procedures as they apply to major gift fundraising in the post-secondary sector.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and multi-tasking ability.
- Ability to think and act quickly, effectively, and resourcefully under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion, and good judgement.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Development Communications Manager, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/hr/careers. Applications, quoting Hiring #2022-0026, must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.