Development Manager, Major Gifts
Pickering College, one of the foremost independent schools in Canada, has built a reputation on retaining the very best faculty and staff, working together with the shared end goal of inspiring our students. We hire innovative and passionate individuals with expertise and diversity. We are committed to the ongoing professional development of our faculty and staff, who are an important part of the school’s community atmosphere.
Currently, we are seeking a Development Manager, Major Gifts to enhance and grow the fundraising program and bring the school to new levels of philanthropic accomplishment. Reporting to the Assistant Head of School, Advancement, the Development Manager will bring the Pickering College vision to key alumni, parents, grandparents and friends, with the goal of building meaningful relationships and securing immediate and long-term philanthropic support.
Managing a personal portfolio of donors, including influential alumni, parents, and other top prospects, the Development Manager will manage the full philanthropic experience for donors, undertaking strategic qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship with the goal of securing $25,000+ donations to the school. The Development Manager will engage key members of the Board, faculty members and other stakeholders in the fundraising process, and will work with the Assistant Head of School, Advancement to support and coach volunteers when appropriate.
Working collaboratively with the rest of the development team, the Development Manager will lead prospect identification and pipeline management for the major gifts program, and in support of the endowment, planning giving and capital fundraising goals. They will work with key stakeholders to ensure strategic integration of fundraising programs, to best leverage strengths and enhance collective impact. The Development Manager will also collaborate with the Communications Coordinator on the design and creation of all major gift marketing materials, including case statements and gift proposals.
This full-time position is based on campus at 16945 Bayview Ave, Newmarket, ON.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage a portfolio of prospects and donors to support the strategic plan of the school within the context of the current endowment, planned giving, capital goals and beyond.
- Create a strategic moves management system to ensure a meaningful donor experience that results in highly engaged and supportive relationships with Pickering College.
- Create and implement highly personalized fundraising strategies for all personal portfolio prospects.
- Engage in personal visits to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects and donors.
- Introduce strategies and create new programs and related infrastructure to build a robust and dynamic pipeline with the goal of identifying a consistent stream of new potential donors at $25K+.
- Design and lead prospect identification activities with key internal and external stakeholders to review, research, coordinate and develop personal engagement and solicitation plans for all identified prospects.
- Create a menu of engagement, cultivation, and stewardship activities for major gift prospects and donors.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Head of School, Advancement and the Communications team on the design and production of all marketing and communications materials, proposals, reports and other related collateral targeting major gift and capital campaign donors.
- Work with the Assistant Head of School, Advancement to support the Development Committee in all aspects of their work to ensure senior volunteers are informed, coached and well-resourced to carry out their responsibilities.
- Develop authentic and collaborative working relationships with the Development and Parent & Alumni Relations team, Board members, Communications team, key faculty and administrative staff members to help inform and engage them in the fundraising process, and enhance the culture of philanthropy at Pickering College.
- Ensure key donor and prospect data and information is properly recorded, tracked, monitored, and evaluated on the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Ensure proper analytics are conducted to consistently report back to key stakeholders on moves management progress and revenue goals.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Demonstrated major gift fundraising experience, with a track record of successfully cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors; previous involvement in a capital campaign and planned giving would be an asset.
- Established experience in successfully building fundraising programs that align donor interests with institutional priorities and increase philanthropic revenue.
- A history of success in identifying new major gift donors and ensuring a healthy and dynamic major gifts pipeline; experience in prospect research is an asset.
- A high level of comfort in working with senior volunteers and fundraising committees.
- Extensive experience with use of a donor database, preferably Raiser’s Edge, as well as high proficiency in other technologies (Microsoft Office, the Internet, etc.).
- Familiarity with charitable giving legislation, including CRA rules and guidelines.
- A passion for making a positive impact on young people in Canada.
- Able to work some flexible hours, including occasional evenings or weekends.
- A valid driver’s licence and the ability to travel locally and nationally or internationally on occasion.
Candidates interested in applying should send a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com no later than Monday, September 26, 2022.