Development Officer (3 Vacancies)
Join our team to create a better tomorrow for all of us
At The Ottawa Hospital Foundation, you don’t have to wear all the hats.
Working alongside some of the best and brightest senior fundraisers and volunteers in the community, you’ll help revolutionize the way healthcare is delivered to patients in our region — and we’ll be with you every step of the way.
If you have fundraising, relationship-building and/or sales experience and you’re driven to:
- Make a tangible impact that saves and changes lives right here in our community
- Focus on fundraising rather than doing all the things
- Discover the trade secrets to making a transformational ask (and closing it)
- Work with a supportive, collaborative team that shares their fundraising know-how so you succeed…
“The Foundation has given me the tools, resources, and donor base to succeed. Larger solicitations are within my reach” – Christina Benotto, Development Officer with 8 years’ fundraising experience
We want YOU by our side to help transform the future of healthcare.
What You Bring: fundraising, relationship-building and/or sales experience. If you’re driven by building and maintaining relationships, we encourage you to apply!
What You’ll do: leverage a portfolio of donors to secure annual, mid-level and major ($10k+) gifts
What We Offer Our Development Officers:
- the support of our 60-person team including fundraising, marketing, and finance
- mentorship and peer-to-peer support from a team of in-house fundraisers
- a collaborative team dynamic
- a robust portfolio of engaged donors
- autonomy in managing your donor portfolio
- the opportunity to make career-defining solicitations
- external and internal professional development opportunities
- hybrid workplace
- flexibility in working hours and location of work
- competitive salary
- performance-based compensation structure
- 4 weeks vacation per annum
- an inclusive workplace culture
- and much more.
Position Type: Full-time Permanent (37.5 hours per week)
Number of Vacancies: 3 (includes new positions and vacant roles)
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Annual Salary: The salary range for this position is $53,000-$77,000 with a current hiring range of $53,000-$67,000
Experience: 2+ years experience in a fundraising, sales, or relationship-management role
Pension and Medical Benefits: Includes medical benefits (semi-private hospital, extended health care, vision care, dental care); life insurance; employee and family assistance program; defined benefits pension, and more.
Location: we remain a predominately a work-from-home organization. When onsite, work is conducted at either the Civic (1053 Carling Avenue) or General (501 Smyth Road) campuses. Teams are increasingly requesting the opportunity to reconnect in-person, so some onsite work will be required. Development Officers share the responsibility of staffing our front-facing offices on a rotating basis (approximately one day every 1 to 2 weeks).
Languages: English essential, French is considered an asset
Deadline to Apply: November 14, 2022
Questions? Feel free to schedule a call with Kristen Shier, Human Resource Officer, at TOHFfirstname.lastname@example.org
Read on to learn more about us and the future you.
OUR MISSION: THE CAMPAIGN TO CREATE TOMORROW
The Ottawa Hospital Foundation has launched the historic $500 million Campaign to Create Tomorrow, a multi-year campaign to support the construction of a new state-of-the-art hospital on Carling Avenue, as well as world-leading medical research. It’s the largest ever fundraising campaign in our region’s history, representing an ambitious vision for the future of healthcare.
“I came from the private sector and was lacking fulfillment. My job was focused on the bottom-line – to make money for a corporation. The Foundation was a welcome change. I connect with the cause, and my work actually matters.”- Natasha De Sousa, Development Officer with 1 year of fundraising experience
The Campaign To Create Tomorrow already has overwhelming community support. Our team of fundraisers have raised $233m (47%) since launching the campaign 3 years ago, which includes some of the largest-ever donations in our city’s history.
HOW DO WE SUPPORT OUR FUNDRAISERS?
We want our team fundraisers to focus on what they do best – fundraising. To help facilitate this, we’ve built a support network throughout our 60-person team, including:
- A team dedicated to prospect research to support your cultivation strategies
- A proposal writing team for transformational solicitations
- An in-house creative team to continually update marketing collateral (both printed and digital), and a fundraiser’s toolkit (templates etc.)
- Administrative support for each fundraising team
- A team dedicated to supporting stewardship and recognition activities/strategies
- A team of CRM specialists to help you become a database super-user
- A team of gift processers
“I came from a small shop where I was responsible for executing everything donor related. At the Foundation, I have time to make donor calls and build those relationships.” Christina Benotto, Development Officer with 8 years’ fundraising experience
Julie Beckett, Kelly Goulet, Rob Gottschalk are experienced managers and experienced fundraisers. They will provide you with ongoing coaching and mentorship at every stage in your development. Beyond that, our team of 15 in-house fundraisers continually lean on each other for support.
“I rely heavily on my colleagues’ expertise. It’s a team dynamic – we’re in constant communication with each other, and no one ever says ‘no’ to a phone call or helping hand. I feel very well supported as a new fundraiser” -Natasha De Sousa, Development Officer with 1 year of fundraising experience
WHAT WOULD MY DONOR PORTFOLIO LOOK LIKE?
The Ottawa Hospital Foundation benefits from large pool of engaged donors, many of whom are grateful patients, and friends/families of patients. It’s no surprise that our interactions with our donors are overwhelmingly positive.
“Our donors are invested in our work, and we have the tools to ensure that each donor has fulfilling interactions with our team” – Natalee Snell, Development Officer with 5 years’ fundraising experience
Portfolio Size: 100-400 donors
Portfolio Details: Your portfolio is a mix of existing donors (approx. 80%) and new prospects (approx. 20%). The portfolio will be diversified, and includes individual donors, corporations, events donors, and other foundations. The key to your success is relationship-building.
Annual Revenue Goal: You have a minimum annual revenue goal ranging from $250k-$1m, commensurate to years’ experience, and the gift potential of your donor portfolio.
“Even though larger solicitations may seem daunting, you have all the training and resources you need to tackle more complex gifts.” – Natalee Snell, Development Officer with 5 years’ fundraising experience
- Passionate relationship-builder with exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Tact, diplomacy and maturity in dealing with clients (donors, volunteers, hospital staff, general public).
- Ability to think strategically, plan and prioritize and work proactively to meet deadlines.
- Team player; always maintains a positive attitude.
- Driver’s License and access to a vehicle is required for the role (or the willingness and ability to travel efficiently via public transportation for offsite donor commitments)
- Willingness and ability to work outside of regular business hours are required
HOW TO APPLY
Please forward your resume and cover letter outlining your experience, salary expectations and why you think you would be a suitable candidate for this position to TOHFemail@example.com. Your application should be submitted in PDF format and should use the following title: Firstname_Lastname_Development Officer.
The Ottawa Hospital Foundation values diversity and embraces an organizational culture that is inclusive and free of bias and discrimination. The Foundation is committed to a board and staff that is comprised of talented and dedicated individuals with a diverse mix of expertise, experience, skills, and backgrounds.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise them that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.