DEVELOPMENT OFFICER, ANNUAL GIVING
We need the ocean, the ocean needs us!
Ocean Wise has emerged from the pandemic with a refreshed purpose, a new brand, and a clear direction. As part of its Plan for Growth and Impact, the organization will invest in the expansion of its development program that will establish fundraising centres across Canada, the U.S., and Europe. This is an opportunity to build and expand the impact of philanthropy on our ocean.
The ideal candidate is a builder who is passionate about annual giving and/or direct response fundraising. They will help deliver on an ambitious annual target of approximately $9M in five years. The candidate is an experienced project manager, skilled communicator, detail-oriented, and committed to building successful relationships. They model collaboration, integrity, creative thinking, a solutions-oriented approach, and systems thinking.
Ocean Wise’s global headquarters is in Vancouver, British Columbia. The preferred location for this position is either Vancouver or Toronto; however, applications from across Canada will be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply through our online portal at https://ocean.org/careers.
The Development Officer, Annual Giving reports to the Director, Annual Giving, and is responsible for managing all aspects of Ocean Wise’s annual giving activities, including direct response fundraising campaigns, monthly giving, and community giving. The Officer is also responsible for managing the mid-level program, which includes donor engagement, solicitation, and stewardship of donors capable of giving between $1,000-$24,999 annually.
Direct Response Fundraising Campaigns
- Manage and grow integrated multi-channel direct response fundraising activities, including the acquisition, stewardship, retention, and upgrading of annual and monthly donors
- Coordinate activities with internal teams and external agencies and suppliers
- Research, develop, and write campaign content
- Coordinate and write donor stewardship pieces and other communications
- Develop segmentation strategies to maximize campaign results
- Update online tools to create a positive donor experience
- Continuously track and measure each campaign’s results, and adjust future activities accordingly
- Oversee the mid-level program (donors giving $1,000 to $24,999 annually), including identifying, engaging, cultivating, and soliciting primarily individual prospects and donors through a variety of multi-channel activities
- Develop appropriate stewardship strategies to retain and upgrade mid-level donors, including writing general and tailored reports as needed
- Maintain accurate and complete records of all donor interactions in the database
- Identify donors with the capacity of giving a major gift, and referring them to the Major Gifts team
- Organize cultivation and stewardship events that will nurture Ocean Wise’s relationship with donors at this level
- Manage contributions made through community group fundraising, third-party events, and cause-related marketing initiatives
- Respond to inquiries from community groups and companies, providing advice and guidance on developing successful activities
- Strive to ensure all groups are acknowledged and recognized in an appropriate manner, commensurate to their contribution
- Promote and support peer-to-peer fundraising initiatives, with an emphasis on personal page fundraising
- Develop and write materials that will support community groups in their fundraising efforts
- Maintain accurate donor reports in the database
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma, ideally in a related field (e.g., fundraising, marketing, communications)
- 3-5 years’ experience in direct response fundraising and/or annual fund development
- Experience in developing and executing strategies for personalized cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Demonstrated effectiveness in building and nurturing strong relationships with donors, volunteers, staff, and other stakeholders
- Proficient in using donor databases (e.g., Raiser’s Edge NXT, Salesforce), digital communications tools (e.g., Mailchimp), and online giving platforms (e.g., Fundraise Up)
- Proven ability to work and build relationships with multiple stakeholders, both internally and externally
- Knowledge of developing fundraising targets and budgets, forecasting, and analysis
Skills and Attributes
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with teams and independently
- Excellent project management skills, with a strong ability to set priorities and meticulous attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, tasks, and relationships in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Strong planning and analytical skills
- Versatility – able to deal with change, delays or unexpected events
- Presents with a professional and respectful demeanor when working with donors, volunteers, and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Possesses critical thinking and decision-making skills, and uses sound judgment
- Values positivity, creativity, and innovative approaches
- Ability to work with a high degree of discretion and tact in handling confidential matters
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends on occasion, and some travel may be required
Inclusion and Diversity: Ocean Wise is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are a company where diverse backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints are valued. Ocean Wise does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, age, ethnic or national origin.