Development Officer, Annual Programs
The opportunity: If you are looking to change young lives and be a part of the camp community, Amici (“A-MEE-Key”) offers an opportunity to make your mark by joining the team as our new Development Officer, Annual Programs. Amici Camping Charity (“Amici”) is guided by a mission to give children and youth in financial need the chance to discover their full potential through multi-year access to the unique environment of summer camp. Amici’s mission is supported by generous donors, including partner camps, individuals, corporations and foundations. Amici is a dynamic place to work with an engaged Board of Directors, enthusiastic staff and dedicated volunteers ready to help where they can to impact the lives of appreciative campers and families.
The Organization: Established in 1966 as a non-profit charity, Amici changes young lives by sending deserving children and youth to 45 Ontario Camps Association accredited partner summer camps – for as many years as the camper is eligible. In 2022, Amici partner camps, supporters and volunteers sent 251 children and youth to camp, for a total of 566.5 weeks of programming. After a challenging few years of sacrifices and upheaval to their routine as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and a couple summers without camp, children need summer camp more than ever. Amici has a strong track record of collaboration and creating life-changing experiences through the power of summer camp. To learn more, please visit: www.amicicharity.org.
Position Profile: The Development Officer, Annual Programs, will be one of two Development Officers working in tandem and reporting into the Executive Director. The Development Officer, Annual Programs will advance Amici’s mission through the development, delivery and progress of Amici’s fundraising programs (Individual, Corporate, and Foundation Giving), as well as contribute to the overall fundraising program at large. The position works collaboratively with Amici’s donors, volunteers and staff team.
We are in growth mode and in the midst of undertaking meaningful and organization-changing work in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. You will have the opportunity to contribute to this critical work from the ground floor and make an even deeper impact in the lives of children with the power of camp. This is the role for you if you love to be challenged, work in a fast-paced environment and feel the impact you make in children’s lives on a daily basis.
You are the ideal candidate for the Amici team if:
- You are ready to be part of a dynamic team and can both adapt and contribute to a growing organization.
- You are creative, strategic, curious and have a good sense of humour, high energy level and a demonstrated passion for summer camp.
- You are able to communicate effectively, empathetically and tactfully with a variety of individuals in person, by email and over the phone.
- You have well-developed interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- You work effectively as a member of a small team and are willing to pitch in and carry out all levels of tasks at hand.
- You are up for the task of building upon and enhancing new and existing programs.
- You take your work seriously, but not yourself.
Individual, Corporate and Foundation Giving
- Manage Amici’s annual programs, including the Leadership League, Ambassadors Council, and Amici’s Cabin Campaign, by prospecting, soliciting and stewarding individual donors.
- Lead the effective solicitation of corporate prospects for philanthropic support in collaboration with the fundraising staff team and volunteer leadership.
- Administer Amici’s Foundation Giving portfolio, including the preparation and delivery of prospect research, application submission, tracking and post-grant reporting.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Development Officer, Events and Communications, work with Amici’s volunteer Fundraising Committee to prospect, solicit and steward donors. Attend Fundraising Committee meetings and provide administrative support to the Chair.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, identify and profile new giving prospects on a rolling basis.
- Maintain relationships as assigned with individuals and representatives from partner camps, corporations and foundations through the planning of an efficient, effective and donor-centered stewardship program as assigned.
- Manage Amici’s John R. Latimer Legacy Giving Society in partnership with the Executive Director.
Community and Special Events
- Contribute to the planning of Amici’s annual signature event, Canoe Heads for Kids.
- Assist with all other special events as required – i.e. community events, and contribute to the development of strategies that will lead to increased revenues.
- Attend community and special events as necessary to oversee activities and ensure logistics are handled as arranged.
- In collaboration with the Development Officer, Events and Communications, write content for Amici’s website, e-communications, annual report and digital appeals.
- Ensure communications and activities support Amici’s strategy and are consistent with its vision, mission and brand.
- Act as a spokesperson for Amici, as assigned, and speak confidently on the organization’s behalf to a variety of audiences, ex: volunteers, donors and prospects.
- Contribute to the overall Communications Plan, and contribute content for social media, and stewardship and fundraising communications pieces.
Stewardship and Administration
- Implement stewardship and recognition strategies ensuring all donors receive correspondence, reports and updates in a timely manner for all fundraising programs.
- Recommend ongoing improvements to processes to increase efficiencies.
- Perform other general administrative duties and gift processing, as assigned.
Other duties and responsibilities to be determined from time to time, as discussed in advance with the Executive Director.
- 1-2 years experience in fundraising, sales and/or marketing.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Ability to be resourceful, flexible and successful in a fast-paced working environment.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills. Evidence of initiative, adaptability, sound judgment, tact, diplomacy, strong sense of ownership, collaboration, attention to detail and creativity.
- Proficient use of Google Suite (Docs, Spreadsheets, Drive) and/or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Canva).
- Post-secondary degree/diploma or equivalent experience.
- Event planning experience is an asset.
- Experience with fundraising software (i.e. DonorPerfect and Raisin) and prospecting research tools (i.e. iWave) are an asset, or the ability to learn new technology based interfaces.
- Ability to support event execution, some lifting and carrying to and from events is required.
- An understanding and passion for the power of summer camp!
- The position involves some evening and weekend commitments, including but not limited to, Canoe Heads for Kids (Saturday, May 27, 2023) lead up activities and event day, Young Professionals Council (YPC) and special events.
- Ability to adapt to a flexible work environment during the current COVID-19 pandemic.
Amici Camping Charity is committed to a culture of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. We know we are able to best provide children from a number of varying backgrounds and lived experiences with an inclusive camping experience when we have a diverse team of employees. Beyond being an equal-opportunity employer in accordance with the Ontario Employment Standards Act, and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, we strive to provide our employees with a working experience free of discrimination, harassment, and barriers.
Employment decisions at Amici Camping Charity are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, irrespective of race, ethnicity, colour, race, religion/belief/creed, sex, gender, gender expression, sexuality, ability status/disability, age, marital status, caregiving status, nationality, genetic information, education, and any and all other class, individual, and/or characteristics protected by law in any of Amici Camping Charity’s activities or operations.
Amici Camping Charity is happy to provide an equitable opportunity to apply to work with us, and to provide accommodations at all stages of the selection process. To request accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application: To apply, please forward your resume and cover letter to Robyn Short, Manager, Fund Development and Communications at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.