Development Officer, Major Gifts
Rainbow Railroad was founded in 2006 to provide an additional solution to address the global refugee crisis, to which LGBTQI+ persons are uniquely vulnerable. Rainbow Railroad’s mission is to at-risk LGBTQI+ individuals get to safety as they seek a safe haven from state-enabled harassment and violence.
Rainbow Railroad is a registered Canadian charity and a USA 501(c)(3) organization with its headquarters in Toronto, Canada and an office in New York City, USA.
Since 2006, Rainbow Railroad supporters have helped more than 5,500 at-risk LGBTQI+ individuals get to safety.
Rainbow Railroad is seeking a passionate fundraiser to take leadership within our individual giving program. This person will support the development of Rainbow Railroad’s major giving program in Canada, while helping to achieve strategic objectives and revenue goals for the organization. This role will work primarily with donors in Canada, but may interact with US based donors as well. Occasional travel to meet supporters may be required.
Based out of our headquarters in Toronto, this role will involve remote work with both US and Canadian based colleagues, reporting to the Director of Philanthropy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Major Gift Fundraising
- Build and manage a portfolio of ~100 donors at the $5,000+ level
- Support senior volunteers and organizational ambassadors in their fundraising efforts across our program
- Develop long-term cultivation and pipeline management strategies for Rainbow Railroad’s supporters to inspire growth in donor commitment through research, data mining and analysis, relationship-building, and use of ambassador networks
- Support senior organizational leadership and board members in their fundraising activities by preparing briefs, messaging, reports, and then call notes for follow-up
- Ensure all data is tracked in our database accurately and effectively
- Utilize Rainbow Railroad’s expanding advocacy and programmatic efforts to increase support and interest in our work
- Support growth in Rainbow Railroad’s planned giving program
- Work closely with the team to build multi-year pledges and more deeply engage mid-level or annual-level donors in their philanthropy at Rainbow Railroad
Volunteer & Event Management
- Support the organization’s development committee in achievement of its fundraising goals and targets
- Assist senior volunteers in the identification, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects
- Organize cultivation and stewardship events with volunteers, ambassadors, and other staff to introduce new prospects to Rainbow Railroad
- 3-4 years’ of experience in a fundraising environment, with experience directly interfacing with donors preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or relevant combination of skills and expertise
- Past success in engaging donors or organizational stakeholders in innovative ways with the goal of building relationships or deepening engagement
- Experience in developing stakeholder-facing communications such as fund applications, case for support writing, impact reports, or fundraising appeals
- Demonstrated success in managing the donor journey from donor identification through to donor stewardship
- Experienced in a variety of software programming including CRM software (Salesforce an asset), Microsoft Office, Zoom, WordPress and others
- Ability to manage competing priorities while producing high-quality deliverables
- Extensive knowledge of issues facing 2SLGBTQI communities, including LGBTQI+ refugees, preferably gained through lived experience.
- Passionate about Rainbow Railroad’s mission and vision
Application Deadline – March 20, 2023
Length of Contract – Full-Time, Permanent
Hiring Salary Range – $60,000-$65,000 plus competitive benefits package.
Please forward your resume and mandatory cover letter addressed to Michael Anderson (he/him) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the exact job title in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Rainbow Railroad is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.