Development Officer, Major Gifts
UHN Foundation raises funds for research, education and the enhancement of patient care at Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital and Toronto Rehabilitation Institute as well as their respective research arms (Krembil Research Institute, McEwen Stem Cell Institute, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute and KITE Research Institute) and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The Hospitals and the Research Institutes are members of University Health Network (UHN), which also includes Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. UHN is a major landmark in Canada´s healthcare system and a teaching hospital of the University of Toronto. Building on the strengths of this remarkable hospital network, the organization brings together the talent and resources that make it an international leader in healthcare. Toronto General Hospital is ranked #5 on the list of the World’s Best Hospitals, the only Canadian hospital to be included in the top 10. Additionally, for the ninth year in a row, UHN is ranked #1 in the list of Canada’s Top 40 Research Hospitals. The Foundation´s vision and mission is to enable global leadership and innovation in health by developing strong relationships with UHN stakeholders. We are committed to supporting UHN’s vision to create a healthier world by embodying our values of integrity, accountability, collaboration and inclusion.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, ambitious fundraiser to join our team at the UHN Foundation. Reporting to the Toronto Rehab Campaign Director, the Development Officer will provide strategic fundraising support and raise funds for the Toronto Rehab Institute. The Development Officer will be a self-starting individual with aptitude and passion to build relationships with individual donor and prospective donors and colleagues, and who demonstrates excellent attention to detail, communication and relationship-building skills. The incumbent will be part of the successful major gifts fundraising Campaign team raising support ($100,000 +). Interaction with medical leaders, clinician partners and volunteers, including our engaged Board Champions and will be ongoing. Experience with the Raiser’s Edge donor database is an asset for this position. In addition to building relationships and soliciting donations the incumbent will also ensure proper stewardship takes place to maintain donor involvement, interest and support. This opportunity offers a unique and stimulating challenge for the right candidate.
- Implement and execute approved strategies aimed at increasing support for the current fundraising Campaign
- Assess needs and contribute to the development and implementation of plans for prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, and recognition. Develop tailored fundraising initiatives that support strategic initiatives.
- Manage a portfolio of existing donors, as well as develop a pipeline of potential new donors.
- Identify potential new major gift donor prospects through prospecting research, physician referrals, grant connect and assess stakeholder interest, and viability.
- Prepare engagement strategies, and plan, schedule and conduct cultivation and solicitation meetings.
- Assist in the development of and ensure the appropriateness and quality of all necessary materials, proposals, cases for support, letters, reports and acknowledgements for cultivation and stewardship of donors.
- Ensure all donor touch-points and moves management actions are captured within the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Draft various types of donor correspondence.
- Conduct administrative and execution duties relating to program activities as needed.
- Develop strategic touch points for donors to inform them of initiatives that align with their giving such as research and clinical breakthroughs, events, and webinars
- Identify ways to recognize and steward donors for their contributions, including thank you calls and written communications.
- Work with clinicians and program writer to develop and present proposals that enable the donor to make informed decision regarding their support.
- Continuously communicate with clinicians to learn more about their research and funding priorities and opportunities.
- Develop a strong relationship with clinicians to identify new prospects and provide stewardship updates for existing donors.
- Schedule and actively participate in meetings between clinicians and prospects or current donors.
- Support the Campaign Director with the management of the Campaign Cabinet.
- A relevant 4-year degree or, a relevant 3-year degree/diploma combined with a professional certification or, an equivalent combination of formal education and relevant experience.
- 3-5 years of experience working with senior professional fundraising staff and volunteers.
- Proficiency in the full suite of Microsoft Office products and internet tools. Familiarity with and aptitude for Raiser’s Edge required.
- Member in good standing of CAGP, AFP or AHP is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Exemplary attention to detail with excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Strong strategic aptitude with a demonstrated ability to problem solve and handle a diverse range of assignments with multiple timelines
- Resourceful and self-motivated while remaining comfortable collaborating within a framework of a goal-oriented team environment
- Possess a professional and mature presence with evidence of leadership, sound judgement intuitiveness, tact and diplomacy.
- Fast pace, service and results oriented environment.
- May have some activity outside of the office to support meetings with volunteers and sponsors.
- The Foundation has a hybrid work model. Staff will be required to have a safe home office set-up 3-4 days per week and will be in office for 1-2 days per week, (specifics to be planned with your manager.)
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues in all positions throughout the Foundation.
- Shared commitment and support of the overall Foundation goals.