Development Officer, Stewardship & Donor Relations
Rainbow Railroad is an international organization, based in both Canada and the United States, whose mission is to help LGBTQI+ persons in danger find safety. Our ultimate goal is a world free of persecution based on sexual orientation, gender identity or sex characteristics. Until then, we provide solutions for individuals in immediate danger of persecution or violence amidst a global refugee crisis. In partnership with a global network of LGBTQI+ organizations and human rights defenders, we coordinate directly with individuals experiencing violence to get them out of harm’s way. Around the world, we are recognized for our efforts to support and protect the thousands of LGBTQI+ people living in countries which criminalize their existence.
Since our founding in 2006, we’ve helped over 1,000 LGBTQI+ individuals find safety.
Rainbow Railroad is a registered Canadian charity and a USA 501(c)(3) organization with its headquarters in Toronto, Canada and an office in New York City, USA.
Rainbow Railroad is seeking a skilled relationship builder who is passionate about LGBTQI+ rights and who can enthusiastically join our team to build strategic donor communications, excellent stewardship strategies, and ultimately inspire Rainbow Railroad’s supporters to continue investing in its mission. This person will play a key role in the stewardship of donors, building of proposals and impact reports, planning of stewardship events, and execution of moves management activities. This role will work with donors in both Canada and the United States, and travel throughout North America may be required.
Based out of our headquarters in Toronto, this role will involve remote work with both US and Canadian based colleagues, reporting to the Director of Development & Communications.
Duties & Responsibilities
Donor Relations & Stewardship
- In collaboration with the Director of Development & Communications, develop and implement a comprehensive stewardship plan for donors including a donor engagement strategy, strategic donor recognition, and stewardship events
- Focus on the development and implementation of a donor journey, caring for donors from first point of engagement through until stewardship after major investment
- Proactively provide planning and support materials required for donor stewardship meetings by identifying the engagement and stewardship needs of all revenue streams (corporate/foundation giving, major giving, community giving)
- Develop innovative and meaningful plans and communications to surprise and delight donors and stakeholders, while demonstrating the impact of their support
- Lead in the development of impact reporting material, and support the development of case material, proposal material, and donor recognition materials, including via web and social media
- Support the organization in management of donor inquiries and requests
- In collaboration with the Director of Development & Communications and Communications Officer, Public Relations & Marketing, develop and implement a strategic communications plan that places emphasis on donors and audience development
- Support content creation for donors including web-focused content, e-newsletters, direct marketing, and donor recognition ads
- In collaboration with the Director of Development & Communications, prepare donor-centered communications for specific donors as well as groups of donors, including but not limited to cases for support, thank you letters, proposal templates, impact reports, donor recognition stories and recognition event collateral that align with fundraising goals
- Support the deployment of the organization’s annual and monthly donor fundraising campaigns
- Support in the process of issuing organizational acknowledgment, tax receipting, and pledge reminders
Volunteer & Event Management
- Oversee the stewardship of senior volunteers, ambassadors and committee members
- Organize and execute stewardship events across North America for key Rainbow Railroad supporters
- 3-5 years’ related experience in a fundraising or donor relations role, with experience in event planning an asset
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or relevant combination of skills and expertise
- Demonstrated success in stewardship, which makes donors feel celebrated, including through mass-communication celebrations, individualized stewardship plans, donor recognition activities and customized approaches
- Demonstrated success in the development of donor-facing materials, including proposals, thank-you letters, donor reports, emails, or written content
- Experience in volunteer and ambassador management, with experience working with committees and senior volunteers an asset
- Flexible to grow alongside an expanding philanthropic program across North America
- Experienced in a variety of software programming including CRM software (Salesforce an asset), Microsoft Office, Zoom, WordPress and others
- Deep enthusiasm for Rainbow Railroad’s mission and vision is an absolute must
Application Deadline – December 3rd at 4pm
Length of Contract – Full-Time, Permanent
Hiring Salary Range – $60,000-$65,000 plus competitive benefits package
Please forward your resume addressed to Dane Bland (he/him) at email@example.com. Include the exact job title in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Rainbow Railroad is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Requests for accommodation due to disability can be made at any stage in the recruitment process.