Development Officer, Writer
The Development Officer, Writer will develop compelling content to raise and sustain financial support for Evergreen. They will apply their strong writing and design and project management skills with knowledge of Evergreen, its programs and brand, to reach revenue goals.
The Development Officer, Writer will primarily collaborate with Development team members, but also with Marketing & Communications, Programs, and across other parts of the organization. To ensure success, this individual will be deadline-driven with the ability to handle competing priorities related to grants, corporate asks, funding reports, and individual proposals, plus special writing projects. They will develop content for print and digital formats, and provide expert writing advice, guidance, and service across the organization.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
- Compose and edit proposals, grant applications, impact reports and publications for specific donors and groups of donors in collaboration with fundraisers across Development, including Foundations and Governments, Philanthropy, Corporate, and Executive team;
- Work directly with Evergreen staff to obtain information on fundraising priorities and data/ information to support development of cases for support and impact reports. This includes program plans, objectives and outcomes, deliverables, timelines, budgets, technical details, and evaluation requirements;
- With support from Marketing, act as a brand leader, implementing brand guidance on Development communications;
- Develop and implement proposal and other communications templates for Development;
- Create, write, and edit content for internal and external newsletters, and possibly the Evergreen website and other digital channels;
- Write and edit thank you letters and other donor relations communications;
- Help maintain an online archive of past proposals, applications, impact reports, briefs and other donor communications;
- Provide assistance to fundraising teams regarding best approaches for timing, language, and format of communications;
- Contribute to other writing projects as required, including annual report, direct marketing, donor recognition ads, and other communications when requested;
- Help seek out opportunities to elevate diverse voices, represent a wide range of lived experiences, and audit communications to ensure Evergreen is a consistent driver of change toward greater justice, diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Support the work of bringing more equity into Evergreen fundraising practices;
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication.
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection.
You excel in the following areas:
- Communication. Communicates in a clear, confident, respectful, professional, thorough, and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Demonstrate passion and excitement over work. Display a can-do attitude.
- Collaboration. Employ generosity of spirit when working across lines.
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, learn.
You have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a broad range of specializations, preferably in English, Journalism, History, Environmental Studies, Urban Planning, or related disciplines or equivalent skills learned in non-traditional ways;
- 3-4 years’ experience in communications or technical, digital or advancement/ fundraising writing or proposal development;
- Superior writing skills, strong persuasive skills, and ability to convey a compelling story (portfolios will be requested in interview process);
- Experience adapting communications to a wide range of audiences;
- Advanced organizational skills, balancing day-to-day activities with competing demands and priorities;
- Expertise in MS Office suite;
- Experience using RaisersEdge or Salesforce, and Wrike or other project management software an asset;
- Facility with Adobe suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Spark, and Illustrator an asset
- Comfort with technology;
- Strong people skills and commitment to building an inclusive workplace ;
- A proven track record in an advancement environment an asset; and
- A familiarity with urban innovation and sustainability issues an asset
- Supervised by: Development Sr. Manager, Foundation & Government Fundraising
- Position is usually based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto. However, due to the COVID 19 pandemic this position will be working remotely and on site as needed.
- Regular office hours Monday to Friday (flexible), occasional evenings and weekends in times of heavy deadlines or events.
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: At Evergreen we are committed to doing what we can to keep our employees, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy during the current pandemic. We believe that an important part of this effort is to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Guide.
- Full time, permanent
- Hiring range: $56,000 – $62,000 annually
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, 3 Evergreen Days and your birthday off, and professional development opportunities.
Application Close Date: Friday, August 5, 2022
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*