Development Research Officer
DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH OFFICER
Toronto / 12-month contract
Due to COVID-19 Guidelines, this role involves remote / work from home and may be subject to change as the organization works through its hybrid workforce plan. We care about our team and community, and are closely monitoring the evolving situation. The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) Foundation will continue to make the health and safety of our team a top priority.
ABOUT CAMH FOUNDATION
Hi! We are the fundraising Development Research Team. We believe in the power of philanthropy to improve lives and create meaningful change. We believe that relationships are at the heart of fundraising. This means leading with gratitude, proactively building and strengthening partnerships, being an exceptional team player with a go-getter attitude, and inspiring hope through the stories we share.
CAMH Foundation is charged with raising and stewarding funds in support of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). Our generous and dedicated supporters help CAMH advance discovery and innovation, build spaces that promote recovery, and break down the stigma of mental illness. Together, we are leading a movement that will create a society that believes Mental Health is Health.
CAMH is Canada’s largest mental health teaching hospital and one of the world’s leading research centres in its field. With a dedicated staff of more than 3,000 physicians, clinicians, researchers, educators and support staff, CAMH offers outstanding clinical care to more than 34,000 patients each year. The organization conducts ground-breaking research, provides expert training to health care professionals and scientists, develops innovative health promotion and prevention strategies, and advocates on public policy issues at all levels of government.
The Development Research team are a dedicated group of fundraising research professionals responsible for delivering high quality proactive and reactive research products and services on potential funding prospects and donors to CAMH Foundation’s major gift teams to help them achieve their fundraising goals. As members of the team, we are committed to a positive and safe work environment where we support, listen and learn from each other and be accountable to our many key stakeholders.
CAMH Foundation is seeking a self-motivated Development Research Officer to join a dedicated team of professionals working to build and maintain long-term donor relationships. This highly engaged individual will be part of a team committed to delivering high quality prospect research to achieve the fundraising goals for individuals, corporations and foundations. Working in a fast-paced environment, the Development Research Officer will identify and qualify new strategic prospects, prepare prospect lists and briefing documents to support the Foundation staff and senior volunteers in their prospect, donor and volunteer cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities, and ensure accurate entry of research information into CAMH Foundation’s fundraising database.
- Manage the collection, storage, maintenance and retrieval of donor and stakeholder insights.
- Ensure a high level of data quality and integrity in Raiser’s Edge through timely and accurate data entry, record maintenance and prospect tracking.
- Proactively identify new major gift, corporate and mid-level prospects, including individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Qualify prospects by compiling and synthesizing data from a variety of sources including key variables used in assessment.
- Align prospective donors’ interests with CAMH’s organizational and strategic priorities.
- Provide insights and advice for approaching prospective donors and volunteers.
- Investigate and analyze complex forms of information for the development of comprehensive and strategic briefings to support development activities.
- Consistently monitor prospects in the pipeline and provide relevant and timely information and analysis that will positively move prospect relationships forward.
- Proactively monitor and communicate relevant news, events and issues that impact fundraising and economic trends and mental health developments.
- Ensure compliance with applicable legal requirements.
- Perform lead generation based on marketing activities.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING TO THE TEAM
- Minimum 2 years of work experience within a non-profit, fundraising, or advancement research services environment combined with a related university degree or college certificate program.
- Advanced internet searching skills and experience using online commercial databases such as iWave, Relationship Science, CharityCAN, Grant Connect, CRA, SEDAR and SEDI.
- Exceptional computer skills, including a high level of experience with Microsoft Office software applications
- Familiarity with Canadian business and economic landscape, corporate financials and annual reports is an asset
- Strong knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or a comparable relational database including database management, data mining and analysis and report generation and queries
- Ability to think strategically, work independently, and manage multiple competing priorities while producing a high quality of work in a high-volume, and results oriented environment
- Superb critical, analytical and strategic thinking, decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to synthesize large quantities of information into succinct and accurate written briefings and reports
- An inquisitive and analytical nature with an above average level of initiative and attention to detail
- Professionalism, judgment and commitment to fundraising ethics and donor privacy is essential
- Consistently demonstrates the behavioural norms in the Foundation’s Guiding Principles.
Salary Range: $62,154 – $69,925 annually
CAMH Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! Please contact HR.Foundation@camh.ca. We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives to apply. Our north star is creating hope and improving outcomes for people facing mental illness. We work in respectful partnerships with each other and our hospital partners to inspire philanthropy and raise awareness in support of mental health.
To apply: Please submit your cover letter and résumé by 5pm, September 15th (EST) through our website.
CAMH is a Tobacco-Free Organization.
CAMH is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto and is a teaching hospital and research institute.
CAMH Foundation thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If contacted for an interview, please inform us should accommodation be required.