Development Writer – Philanthropy
Development Writer – Philanthropy (FT Contract)
Markham Stouffville Hospital Foundation is seeking a Development/Philanthropy Writer to join the Foundation’s development team. The Development Writer is a key member of the fundraising team and contributes to the overall revenue goals through effective proposal/grant writing and donor impact reports. The Development Writer is an exceptional storyteller and writer and collaborates seamlessly across all teams, in particular with the Donor Relations and Marketing teams, to produce effective and inspiring documents.
Markham Stouffville Hospital Foundation (MSHF) enables the growth of Oak Valley Health’s Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) by raising funds and awareness for its priorities and ongoing needs. We aspire to earn the generous support of every member of our community. Markham and Stouffville are the fastest growing regions in Canada and recently declared among the nation’s most diverse communities.
- Leads the writing and development of compelling and sophisticated funding proposals (target audience: individual donors, corporations and foundations) and other correspondence for the development team – and adapts writing style to different donor audiences
- Leads the writing and development of high impact and customized impact reports for major donors to promote continued donor accountability, engagement and philanthropic support
- Supports Donor Engagement and Marketing teams with creative writing projects (donor ads, gift announcements, etc.) when needed
- Works collaboratively with Donor Relations and Marketing teams to ensure library of program information remains current and is shared in a timely manner
- Expertly interviews appropriate hospital stakeholders for a broad range of needs and programs
- Translates complex information into clear, simple, and persuasive language that inspires and connects with donors
- Ensures Oak Valley Health and MSH/F brand and style guidelines are adhered to and that proposals are presented in an appealing and professionally designed format
What you bring to the role:
- Post-secondary education in writing, communications, journalism or related field, and/or comparable work experience
- Minimum of 3 years experience, preferably in a health care fundraising environment
- Passion for storytelling
- Superior communication and interviewing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, volunteers and external stakeholders
- Ability to organize and manage a diverse range of assignments and adjust to changing priorities while maintaining high efficiency and thorough attention to detail
- Resourceful and independent while comfortable working within the framework of an integrated development program and team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated good attendance record with the ability to maintain this same standard
- Demonstrates a commitment to a healthy and safe workplace for self and others (staff, patients, families, etc.) by taking all reasonable precautions and working in compliance with hospital related policies, health and safety legislation and best practices and completing relevant mandatory education as required.
Monday to Friday days. Please note schedule may change based on operational needs.
Hiring Range :$60,000-$70,000 annually, based on experience, plus incentive pay.
MSH Foundation offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience plus a comprehensive benefits package. Foundation staff are currently working in office with some flexibility.
Who we are:
Oak Valley Health is one of Ontario’s leading community healthcare organizations. Across our two sites (Markham and Uxbridge) and Reactivation Care Centre (RCC), we provide high quality, patient-centred care to more than 435,000 patients each year. We offer diagnostic and emergency services and deliver clinical programs in acute care medicine and surgery, addictions and mental health, and childbirth and children’s services. We are also proud to be part of the Eastern York Region North Durham Ontario Health Team (OHT).
Our 526 physicians, 28 midwives, 2,400 staff and 1,000 volunteers serve patients and families with an honoured to care mindset and are focused on delivering an extraordinary patient experience to the residents of Markham, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Uxbridge and beyond. We are dedicated to providing access to the right care, at the right time, in the right place by the right people and at the right cost. Are you ready to join us?
Oak Valley Health Diversity Statement
Oak Valley Health takes pride in serving some of Canada’s most diverse communities. We are committed to fostering an environment of equity and inclusivity where every person can work and receive care safely, openly and honestly. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, nation of origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital or family status, belief system, or other factors related to one’s personal identity and/or values. Furthermore, Oak Valley Health is committed to meeting the needs of all individuals in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodations during the recruitment and selection process, please contact Human Resources.
Visit oakvalleyhealth.ca and mshf.on.ca to learn more about us.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter and resume by July 6, 2022 at