Director, Annual Giving
Taking action for the ocean today, so we can all flourish.
From humble beginnings in Vancouver and with over 60 years of conservation success, Ocean Wise has emerged from the pandemic with a refreshed purpose, a new look and a clear direction. Our mission is to empower communities and individuals to take action to protect and restore our world’s oceans. Our 2030 conservation strategy, A Decade to Turn the Tide, focuses on actions that address our oceans’ greatest challenges – climate change, overfishing and pollution.
As part of our plan for growth and impact, Ocean Wise is transforming its fundraising programs. With the full support of OUR Board and Executive, resources have been committed to bring to life an ambitious fundraising strategy that includes the establishment of fundraising centers across Canada, US and Europe. We are looking for development professionals to lead this transformation.
Ocean Wise’s global headquarters is located in Vancouver, British Columbia. This position can be located anywhere in Canada.
The Director of Annual Giving will provide critical leadership and oversight responsibilities relating to the annual giving program at Ocean Wise, including direct mail, monthly giving, leadership giving, community giving, digital fundraising and planned giving. This new position will initially build a team to strengthen and deepen our fundraising capacity in Canada and will play a critical role in expanding these programs into the United States. The Director will also be part of the organization’s senior leadership team that is responsible for realizing Ocean Wise’s 2030 strategic direction.
The ideal candidate is a builder and passionate about leading a fundraising team to reach an annual target of approximately $9M in five years. The candidate has experience in running a large team, project management, leading multi-channel direct response campaigns, and familiarity with data analytics and segmentation to drive fundraising growth strategy. They model innovative thinking, a collaborative approach, and a solution-orientation.
Develop and lead implementation of annual giving strategy
- Design overall strategy to engage individuals and community groups
- Establish, monitor, and evaluate annual KPIs that will result in achieving 2030 fundraising objectives, with emphasis on monthly and mid-level giving
- Develop new fundraising elements and investigate ways to use technology in fundraising and ensure online fundraising software is aligned with the overall development strategy
- Expand annual giving program across Canada and play a key role in developing these programs in the United States
Oversight of key multi-channel fundraising initiatives
- Develop annual fundraising strategies for a full range of annual giving programs, including monthly donors, leadership giving, community giving, digital fundraising and planned giving
- Set and achieve annual revenue targets, with particular attention to donor retention and expansion into new markets
- Select and maintain relationships with outside vendors and agencies
- Develop and track program budget, KPIs against goals and adjust tactics as necessary to achieve annual objectives
- Plan and implement stewardship and cultivation events that increase donors’ affinity to Ocean Wise
Leadership and Mentorship
- Recruit, coach and inspire a team of committed fundraisers through one-on-one supervision, coaching and overall team performance management
- Collaborate with members of the Senior Leadership Team to achieve organizational objectives
Education and Experience
- 8+ years’ experience in integrated direct response programs (digital, print, telemarketing and face-to-face)
- 5+ years in a management capacity
- Proven track record with annual giving and planned giving programs
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with suppliers, staff volunteers and other relevant stakeholders
- Expertise in developing strategy and managing a fundraising portfolio, building campaign metrics, user journey, communications and stewardship plans
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic planning experience
- Budget management for complex organizations
- Ability to multitask and strong time management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products, Salesforce or similar databases
- CFRE designation would be an asset
READY TO APPLY?
Interested applicants are asked to visit: Ocean Wise Careers – Director, Annual Giving
Ocean Wise is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are a company where diverse backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints are valued. Ocean Wise does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, age, ethnic or national origin.
Ocean Wise thanks all those who apply. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.