Havergal College is seeking a highly motivated and experienced fundraising professional to serve as the inaugural Director, Development, as part of the Advancement team. With a mandate to lead, develop and implement comprehensive strategies to raise philanthropic giving, the new Director will join at an exciting time as the school prepares for future growth with plans underway for a significant campaign.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Advancement and managing a team of five, the Director, Development will bring strong demonstrated and effective people and team leadership skills that will serve them well as they assume responsibility for day-to-day operations of the team, directing and managing all aspects of philanthropic giving including special events, annual funds, major gifts, planned giving, corporate giving, and foundation giving.
The Director, Development is a fundraising generalist with major gift skills and who has experience managing all stages of the donor engagement cycle, including identification, outreach, cultivation, and stewardship.
The Director will coach and mentor a team of high-performing professionals in a fast-paced, complex environment while providing oversight of key tasks, activities and decision points, as well as monitoring the plans, benchmarks, targets and outcomes. With a successful and proven major gift fundraising track record, the Director will also manage a personal portfolio of 25-40 prospects and donors with a focus on thoughtful and engaging cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities.
As a strong team leader, the Director will collaborate with Finance, Facilities, and Human Resources staff, as well as teaching faculty, to help grow the culture of philanthropy across the school and meet Advancement team objectives and goals.
At Havergal College, we take pride in attracting and retaining highly qualified staff to ensure that our school remains at the forefront of educational excellence.
About Havergal College
Situated on a beautiful 22-acre campus, Havergal College is a preeminent independent school for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 – a community of 1,000 students, 200 faculty and administrative staff, and 9,500 alumni around the world. Committed to the values of integrity, inquiry, compassion, and courage, Havergal offers a rigorous curriculum designed around the pillars of academics and well-being. The school provides a stimulating and supportive learning environment, a strong liberal arts education, extensive co-curricular opportunities, and boarding for students. Students learn to express themselves with creativity, enthusiasm, and self-confidence, and each student is supported to make empowering choices and become the architect of her education. This foundation develops an attitude of inquiry and a mind open to new ideas and varied perspectives. A Havergal education sets the stage for future success and a lifetime of discovery and learning.
Our Mission, Values and Vision
Founded in 1894 and rooted in the Anglican tradition, Havergal’s mission is to prepare young women to make a difference. The hallmarks of a Havergal education are enriched, broad-based educational programs and rigorous academic standards, a stimulating and supportive learning environment and a strong community that fosters the qualities of leadership and good citizenship, underpinned by the school’s values of Integrity, Inquiry, Compassion and Courage. These pillars of excellence prepare our graduates as leaders of the future and have positioned Havergal at the forefront of women’s education for more than 125 years.
Havergal was founded in 1894 to provide a high-quality education for girls in the Anglican church tradition. Today, we continue our affiliation with the Anglican faith while fostering respect for, understanding of and celebrating the religious traditions and teachings of other faiths that are meaningful to our school and global community.
Havergal’s Anglican affiliation provides a foundation for our spiritual life as a collective. We pair our school values of inquiry, integrity, compassion and courage, with the spiritual values of kindness, generosity, love, justice, humility, truth, hospitality, service, compassion, forgiveness and redemption. Our Anglican affiliation underpins our commitment to preparing young women to make a difference by deepening our sense of self, our commitment to our community and our responsibility to a higher good.
Recognizing the power and importance of fostering a sense of belonging, we:
- Welcome students and families from all faiths and beliefs at Havergal (diversity);
- Seek ways to understand how our faith connections commit us to a responsibility to each other and the world, and our approach to injustice (equity); and
- How we can celebrate, respect, and work together across and through our beliefs and values, both faith-based and secular (inclusion).
Core Competencies of Havergal Employees
Demonstrated ability and commitment to the following Core Competencies:
Inclusive Excellence – Understands the importance of equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging to our mission and how these principles are essential to achieving excellence and creating an environment that enables all students, staff, faculty and parents to contribute their unique strengths and achieve maximum success.
Collaboration & Teamwork – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives of the College.
Integrity & Trust – Demonstrates respect, honesty, and transparency in all interactions to earn and maintain confidence and credibility. Reliable and counted on honouring their words and actions.
Learning Agility – Seeks out diverse experiences and applies lessons learned to new challenges. Interested in exploring and understanding new and different approaches to meet the challenges of a dynamic environment.
Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and consistently with consideration of the audience and can articulate ideas well in writing and orally.
Growth Mindset – Belief and attitude that one can improve their individual skills and abilities through the dedication of time, effort and energy, is able to adjust to, learn from, and embrace change as necessary for future success.
About Advancement at Havergal College
As an independent school and registered charity, Havergal relies on philanthropic donations as an important source of financial support to provide excellence in the education of girls. We are committed to educating students who will be equipped to face the future head-on and lead with integrity and ingenuity.
Havergal is a not-for-profit institution and tuition covers the costs of operating expenses. It is through the generosity of our donors that we are able to deliver a truly exceptional educational journey to our students as they become confident, globally-minded leaders of tomorrow.
Every donor will have their own individual reason for making a gift. Alumni often tell us that their gift is an expression of gratitude for the experience they had as a student. Parents and grandparents wish to show appreciation for the community that is helping their children and grandchildren to thrive. Whatever the reason, your gift will impact the life of every Havergal student and create a lasting legacy.
When you make a gift to The Havergal Fund, at any level, you will have a direct impact on the daily lives of our students. The cumulative generosity of The Havergal Fund donors creates a pool of funds that support all aspects of the Havergal learning experience. A gift to The Havergal Fund is annually directed to our areas of greatest need and may include student financial assistance, faculty professional development, tools and resources to support academic curriculum innovation, efforts toward environmental sustainability, program enrichment in the arts and athletics and our focus on wellbeing.
- Provide day-to-day leadership, coaching and support to Havergal’s advancement team with a focus on major gift cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, donor services and operations, including tax receipting and donor acceptance policies and processes, prospect research and moves management, annual and leadership giving programs, and advancement communications principles and processes.
- Drive long-range development planning, implementation of fundraising campaigns, donor and volunteer relations, marketing, and communications of special events.
- Guide direct reports through the development of portfolio plans including ideas, tasks, timelines, targets, benchmarks, and outcomes.
- Meet weekly with lead staff to gather updates, provide direction, assess progress against goals and metrics, troubleshoot areas of challenge, and ensure that plans are executed in an effective and timely manner.
- Supervise and develop a team of advancement professionals using a supportive and collaborative people-focused approach on a consistent basis.
- Coordinate and lead the day-to-day activities of campaigns including maintaining sightlines and providing guidance for areas such as but not limited to prospect management, financial and engagement reporting, and activities related to cultivation and stewardship.
- Maintain a portfolio of 25-40 major gift prospects and donors who fall within all stages of the development spectrum and achieve goals, targets and outcomes as determined by the Executive Director, Advancement.
- Work closely with other Havergal program leads to ensure effective coordination of efforts with their programs, reinforce the prospect relationship continuum and grow the culture of philanthropy across the school.
- Regularly collaborate with Havergal senior leadership who have cross-functional leadership responsibilities.
- Promote and model a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Represent the Executive Director, Advancement, as designate, at meetings, on committees, and as admin-in-charge, as needed.
- Through regular meetings as well as ongoing communication, keep the Executive Director, Advancement informed, updated and briefed on all key areas of opportunities, risks, as well as successes and challenges.
- Ensure that key final decisions within the team and as they pertain to other Havergal teams and groups are vetted by the Executive Director, Advancement.
- Maintain an interest in all aspects of education and a dedication to promoting the school’s fundraising priorities through the development of excellent working relationships with faculty, senior academic leaders, governors, trustees, other volunteers, and the Advancement team.
- Participate, as required, in all other Advancement team efforts and events.
- Keep current on programs and faculty expertise, student initiatives, parent and alumni relations and engagement at Havergal.
- Remain current on trends, and patterns in the philanthropic sector, and the independent school community, as well as maintain understanding and assessment of risks and opportunities.
Qualifications, Knowledge And Experience
- Progressive experience as a fundraising generalist that includes a focus on cultivating and soliciting major gifts, as well as successful people and team leadership.
- Demonstrated success managing diverse revenue streams including major gifts, donor services and operations, prospect research and moves management, annual and leadership giving, campaigns and advancement communications.
- Previous participation in all aspects of the gift cycle, including experience initiating contact with potential major donors, developing cultivation strategies, moving donors to the successful solicitation, and managing stewardship with donors.
- Experience recruiting, supporting and working with volunteers throughout the gift cycle.
- Successful track record connecting the needs and interests of donors to organizational priorities leading to long-term relationships.
- Previous experience motivating and coaching a team of high-performing fundraisers to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to build strong relationships across an organization with peers and colleagues beyond the Advancement team, while growing and promoting a culture of philanthropy.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, analyze, monitor, evaluate and adapt plans as required.
- Skilled at articulating organizational cases for support that inspire individuals to support the vision, mission, and goals, with a track record of gifts secured.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills.
- Previous experience in an independent school or education environment would be an asset.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of training and experience, with CFRE preferred.
- Demonstrated discretion and respect for maintaining donor confidentiality.
- Knowledge of tax laws that impact charitable giving, personal assets and estates.
Located at 1451 Avenue Road, North York, Ontario, the Director, Development will be required to attend occasional early morning, evening and weekend meetings with travel from time to time.
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) is supporting Havergal College in the recruitment of a Director, Development. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Jill Anderson, KCI Search + Talent, at Havergal@kcitalent.com.
Interested candidates should send their resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above no later than January 12, 2024. All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
The Director, Development position offers a competitive remuneration package including a salary of $120,000 – $150,000, a comprehensive benefits package, life insurance, and pension plan.
At Havergal, we believe that great schools are made up of great people. We are committed to building a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates with a diverse range of experiences and perspectives, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Colour) peoples and persons with disabilities. Our core values are inquiry, compassion, integrity and courage and we welcome applicants who are inspired by our mission to prepare young women to make a difference and to take on an ever-changing world with confidence, resilience and global-mindedness.
Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Accommodations are available upon request for candidates engaging in all parts of the recruitment and selection process.