Director, Development & Campaigns
Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation (JBHF) is seeking a collaborative and dynamic self-starter to serve as our Director, Development & Campaigns, as we prepare to embark on an exciting campaign that will inspire and engage our community in support of our bold vision to transform Mental Health & Addictions (MHA) care for the patients we serve. The campaign will help raise the funds needed to support the expansion and modernization of JBH’s MHA inpatient unit, improving care through increased access, enhanced quality and safety, and expanded services.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and working in close partnership with the entire Development and Stewardship & Communications teams, the Director, Development & Campaigns will lead the development and execution of the strategic objectives of the major giving program, with a particular focus on the successful operationalization and implementation of the campaign plan as we prepare to launch our fundraising efforts this fall.
A seasoned campaign fundraiser, the Director, Development & Campaigns will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day management of the Campaign Cabinet and ensuring that campaign milestones are being achieved in accordance with the campaign plan, proactively evolving the strategy and approach as needed.
Working collaboratively with colleagues, the Director, Development & Campaigns will act as a champion for ensuring a best-in-class donor experience, excellence in stewardship and optimized program integration, while providing leadership and mentorship to a passionate, results-oriented and experienced team of professionals.
Contributing to a mission-focused, fast-paced and cooperative team environment, the Director, Development & Campaigns will manage multiple priorities and competing deadlines while living the JBHF values: collaborative, inclusive, innovative, responsive and transparent and team-designed culture code: acccountable, collaborative, fun and respectful.
Demanding, challenging and exciting, this role requires a motivated, energetic and relationship-oriented individual with a demonstrated track-record of effective leadership, successful campaign management and major gift fundraising.
About Joseph Brant Hospital
JBH is a full-service community teaching hospital located in the growing and thriving community of Burlington, Ontario, serving more than 185,000 residents in Halton, Hamilton, Waterdown, Flamborough, Milton and Stoney Creek. It is honoured to be recognized as one of Hamilton Niagara’s Top Employers for seven (7) consecutive years, with a skilled staff of 194 physicians, 1,911 full- and part-time staff and more than 700 volunteers.
About Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation
JBHF was founded in 1976 to support Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH). We are committed to engaging our community, inspiring investment in our Hospital and making a difference in healthcare for our community. Our vision is to make a difference in our community, and through the generous giving of our supporters to provide an exceptional healthcare experience right here in Burlington.
The Our New Era Campaign in support of the new JBH surpassed its goal of $60M, raising an unprecedented $65M, enabling the incredible transformation of our Hospital, and having a tremendous impact on our community for generations to come.
With the successful conclusion of the capital campaign in 2019, we are poised to leverage the overwhelming support of the community to support new and emerging priorities which will continue to support our Hospital’s vision of providing exceptional healthcare.
The Foundation is governed by a team of community volunteer leaders and is managed by a dedicated staff of professionals who ensure that every donation is used effectively and efficiently to meet the needs of patients and their families.
- Refine and implement the campaign plan, ensuring the successful achievement of campaign milestones
- Provide leadership to, and day-to-day support of, the Campaign Cabinet
- Manage a personal portfolio of 100+ major gift ($25K+) prospects and donors and support the CDO and President & CEO in the development of engagement strategies for leadership and transformational level prospects
- Oversee the development of annual operating plans and associated budgets for the major giving program, establishing and monitoring progress toward goals and objectives
- Support staff in the achievement of their goals and objectives, providing mentorship and leading with trust and empathy
- Manage the development and analysis of campaign key performance indicators (KPIs), providing accurate and regular reports on the progress of the campaign
- Work with peers to champion collaboration across the team with a focus on optimizing and maximizing each donor’s journey
- Provide leadership for the development and implementation of systems to identify, research, cultivate and solicit qualified major gift prospects for both the campaign and other funding priorities, ensuring best-practice pipeline management practices
- Work with the Donor Relations Officer to ensure campaign/major gift pledges, renewals, and other gift transactions are processed effectively and efficiently by staff
- Maintain accurate, professional and complete donor records
- Liaise with Foundation and Hospital staff
- Support colleagues and maintain a high level of professionalism
- Maintain a high degree of motivation and superior work ethic consistent with the employment philosophy of the Foundation
- Participate actively as a member of the Foundation Team
- Perform other duties as required in furthering the goals of the JBHF
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree
- 7-10 years of recent related experience, including experience with campaign management, within a not-for-profit environment
- Previous management or team-lead experience
- Demonstrated success in the identification, cultivation, stewardship and direct personal solicitation of gifts at the $25K+ level
- Experience with operational plan and budget development and management
- Demonstrated track record of setting and achieving ambitious fundraising goals
- Well-developed presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge or another relational database
- Creative and innovative with a high-degree of professionalism and discretion
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently and collaboratively with a team
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to meet competing deadlines in an organized manner
- Aligned with JBHF’s values: Collaborative, Inclusive, Innovative, Responsive and Transparent
- Aligned with JBHF’s culture code: Accountable, Collaborative, Fun and Respectful
- CFRE designation is considered an asset
- Healthcare philanthropy or experience in a similar setting preferred
Compensation: $100,000 – $110,000, plus a comprehensive benefits package and eligibility for annual merit incentive.
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to:
Ashley Davidson, Chief Development Officer
C/o Melissa Perry, Assistant to the Chief Development Officer
Closing Date: May 5, 2023
This position is open to all Canadian citizens, permanent residents and those legally able to work in Canada. JBHF invites applications from all qualified individuals. JBHF is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. We acknowledge that the land on which Joseph Brant Hospital is situated is part of the Treaty lands and Territory of the Mississauga’s of the Credit. We acknowledge the responsibility to honour and respect the four directions, land, waters, plants, animals, ancestors that walked before us, and all the wonderful elements of creation that exist. We wish to respect and honour the Original Peoples of this land and the histories and lived experiences of these communities. It is our commitment to learn and unlearn, support reconciliation, and foster strong relationships as we operate on these traditional lands now and for generations to come.
This is a temporary (3-year contract), full-time position based in the JBHF offices located in the Halton McMaster Family Health Centre Building at Joseph Brant Hospital, 1245 Lakeshore Road, Burlington, ON.
JBHF employees are required to attest to having COVID-19 vaccinations.
Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation thanks all applicants, however, will contact only those selected for an interview.