Director Development & Communications
Veterinarians without Borders/ Vétérinaires sans Frontières – Canada (VWB/VSF) is a charitable, humanitarian organization whose mission is to work for, and with, those in need to foster the health of animals, people, and the environments that sustain us.
We are a mission driven dedicated team with a full remote working environment that spans across Canada. We respect work life balance and offer a generous benefits package that includes 4 weeks of vacation and summer Fridays.
More information about the organization can be found at www.vetswithoutborders.ca.
OVERALL RESPONSIBILITIES OF POSITION
This role is strategic and tactical, leading the organization’s fundraising and communication efforts, in collaboration with the Executive Director, Development / Communications team. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, smaller organizational environment focused on innovation and advancement.
This role leads the communication and resource development team managing 3 staff: Engagement Manager, Business Development Manager and Social Media Coordinator.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop and implement integrated strategy for resource development and communications and inspire the team to align workplans to strategic goals
- Provides strategic marketing and communications support on fundraising, engagement and campaign initiatives
- Develop and guide the overarching strategy for VWB’s expanding digital marketing channels
- Oversee the strategic direction of the resource development department, supporting the team to meet the annual KPIs
- Oversee the management of the donor database alongside the Engagement Manager
- Support the growth of the major gifts program including the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors
- Oversee grant seeking, including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements
- Oversee the development of the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies
- Build authentic, meaningful relationships with key supporters including government, institutions, donors, media and other stakeholders by leading with trust, empathy and an unwavering commitment to VWB’s mission and values
- Prioritize efforts to create exceptional donor experiences throughout the donor life cycle through impactful communications and personalized connections
- Oversee the execution of VWB Canada fundraising events and campaigns.
- Oversees, develops and maintains press and public relations relationships on behalf of the organization, including with international media.
- Oversees development of content (i.e., writing, editing, advising on) for the organizations press releases/advisories.
- Responsible for managing brand risk and crisis communications and provides oversight for all aspects of the organizations and its leadership in public appearances and media.
- Advance VWB Canada’s brand identity, broaden awareness of our programs and priorities, and increase the visibility of our programs across key stakeholder audiences
- Ensures all fundraising, engagement, campaigns and corporate communications support the VWB mission, reflecting our values and commitment to work for, and with, communities in need to foster the health of animals, people and the environments that sustain us.
- Implement digital strategy by coordinating and strategically disseminating social media content with an emphasis on lead conversation and audience segmentation
- Oversee, create and designs content that aligns with VWB Canada strategy and brand guidelines including website, blogs, newsletters, social media, events and direct marketing campaigns
- Collect rigorous metrics and KPIs across VWB Canada’s digital footprint to inform the proactive and forward-looking growth of our digital impact
- 10 plus years experience in a fundraising/communications department working at a Senior Management Team level
- Thorough knowledge of how to launch and maintain online initiatives, such as new or significantly upgraded websites and integrated marketing campaigns
- Proven hands-on experience delivering multi-channel strategies, developing and delivering against defined KPIs
- Expertise in modern digital growth strategies including SEO, SEM, social ads, content syndication, analytics platforms, web technologies and more
- Demonstrable success in generation of increased funds from a variety of income streams, including private and corporate fundraising, major donors, foundations and institutional donors
- Experienced with CRM platforms
- Proven experience in proposal development
- A track record of successful senior level negotiation and the ability to influence the charitable giving decisions of companies, institutions and major donors
- Experience in managing, monitoring, reporting and forecasting against plans and budgets – Experience in producing persuasive and informative communications materials and brand building
- Bilingual desirable
- Desirable to have experience working in international development, humanitarian and/or animal welfare domain
Please submit your C.V. and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org