Director, Finance and Administration
Director, Finance & Administration
Friends of Ruby
Friends of Ruby (FOR) is dedicated to the journey and well-being of 2SLGBTQIA+ youth, aged 16-29 through mental health services, social services, and housing. Friends of Ruby offers mental health services, case management, programming and practical support at our Youth Drop-In Centre and Transitional Home. The Centre provides access to low-barrier psychotherapy and group therapy, case management and a welcoming space with hot meals, community, and wrap around services. The Home provides transitional and emergency housing, as well as skill development and mental health services to support youth transitioning to independent living.
Friends of Ruby recognizes that a diverse work force is critical to accomplishing our mission. We strongly encourage applications from the 2SLGBTQIA+ and BIPOC communities, and diverse backgrounds that meet the requirements of the job posting. We suggest applicants introduce themselves, their stories and lived experiences in their cover letter to the degree they are comfortable with.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Finance and Administration is responsible for the overall management of financial and accounting operations, budgeting, banking, reconciliation, as well as office services for the agency. They will manage and provide oversight of vendor contracts, corporate assets, and compliance requirements.
This hands-on management role is responsible for all financial functions including planning, analysis and reporting and the supervision of the Finance and Administration Manager. This role will manage financial accountability and controls; ensure appropriate fiscal controls are in place to meet statutory compliance and the integrity of data and statements.
The Director is also responsible for interacting with and supporting the management team, coordinating, and consulting on financial matters, as well as interacting with FOR Board members, including participating in meetings of the Finance & Audit Committee.
We are seeking to meet candidates who have:
- Bachelor`s degree in an industry-appropriate field; advanced degree is an asset CPA or CFA
- Progressive experience in a leadership and management role
- Experience in the Not-For-Profit sector required
- Hands-on accounting and financial management
- Strategic financial management leadership
- Accounting automation, integration, and transformation
- Hiring, supervision and evaluation of staff members
- Strong understanding of the Accounting Standards for Not-For-Profit Organizations (ASNPO) and related updates considered an asset
- Strong understanding of Canada Revenue Agency’s registered charities requirements and other federal and provincial legislation affecting non-profit and charitable organizations considered an asset
- Knowledge / lived experience with the diverse experiences and identities of 2SLGBTQIA+ and/or BiPOC communities is considered an asset
- Satisfactory clearance under the Vulnerable Sector Police Check Program
- Must be qualified to legally work in Canada
- Willing to work onsite at our Friends of Ruby office located in downtown Toronto
Skills & Attributes
- Strong financial management planning, analysis skills
- Proficiency with cloud-based computerized financial/accounting systems including integrations with electronic payment, HR/payroll systems, expense management, and other related finance technology
- Demonstrated capacity to think strategically with expertise in complex problem solving, decision making and critical thinking skills
- Strong background in QuickBooks version and ability to design/improve accounting processes and financial reports using QuickBooks classes and items; knowledge of QuickBooks add-on products is a strong asset
- Experience in departmental and project-based accounting
- Experience in establishing appropriate internal controls, processes, and systems to meet deadlines and competing priorities
- Advanced level Microsoft Office skills – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels within and outside the organization
- Exceptional attention to detail, analytical skills, and ability to identify accounting errors and problems easily
- Ability to effectively supervise and mentor staff
- Collaborative team player and strong individual contributor
What Friends of Ruby offers you in return:
- Competitive salary: $100,000 to $120,000 (commensurate with experience)
- Health and dental benefits
Interested in this role?
This search is being conducted by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence.
To submit your application by March 27, 2023, please visit http://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/
Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents.
Issues with applying? Email email@example.com.
For more information about the position, please contact Stephanie Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 416.707.9827. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this information – we’d be pleased to connect with them.