Director of Advancement
West Island College (WIC) is a leading co-educational and bilingual day school with exceptional teachers, staff, faculty, alumni, donors and a close-knit community of enthusiastic students.
WIC is centrally located in Calgary, Alberta – an affordable and welcoming city on the doorstep to the Rockies and ranked the 3rd most livable city in the world (source: Economist Intelligence Unit, 2022).
- Are you inspired to help young people flourish – to help them be the next generation of leaders?
- Do you have an unwavering commitment to nurturing and growing donor and alumni relationships?
- Do you think strategically and act deliberately?
If so, please consider joining us as our Director of Advancement.
Belonging at WIC – The Heart of our Culture
At the heart of our work is ensuring that every member of our WIC family feels valued and that they belong.
The Director of Advancement provides the inspired leadership and strategy that will result in the realization of WIC’s monetary and relationship-building goals which, in turn, support the College’s commitment to exceptional student experience.
The Director works directly with the Head of School & CEO, the Board of Directors/Advancement Committee, Strategic Oversight Team and leads the Advancement team to expand and celebrate the role of donors at WIC, to ensure a sense of belonging, gratitude, and appreciation. The Director will, in cooperation with the Head of School & CEO, set and achieve annual and long-range fundraising and alumni engagement goals, while measuring progress and celebrating achievements throughout the year.
Exceptional experiences for students and donors, alike.
At WIC, we are committed to providing the very best at every turn – for students, families, staff, faculty, volunteers, alumni, and donors.
WIC is a leading provider of rigorous academic programs, complemented by offerings in fine arts, business, athletics, leadership, engineering, health sciences, international travel, and outdoor education.
Just as our student offerings are built upon a tradition of excellence, of high performance, and strong relationships, so is our Advancement program.
In the coming months, we will embark on a two-phase transformational multi-million dollar campaign. We are seeking an extraordinary Advancement leader to join us, to be a part of the next chapter of innovation, expansion, and exceptional student and donor experiences at WIC.
The Director of Advancement, reporting to the Head of School & CEO, will:
- The opportunities for meaningful, on-going, and deeper donor and alumni relationships
- An aspirational and comprehensive Advancement plan that reflects the importance of donor and alumni relationships and what philanthropy makes possible at WIC
- The Advancement team and its continued integration into the fabric of WIC
- By example, the ways in which Advancement can be part of everyday experience at WIC
- The capital campaign including working with leading volunteers to cultivate, solicit and steward the College’s transformational donors
- In collaboration with the Head of School & CEO, the comprehensive Advancement plan including the upcoming capital campaign
- An elevated practice of donor stewardship and appreciation, reenforcing a gracious culture
- The perspective of parents as donors to ensure that they can see the impact and importance of their giving
- The metrics that reflect the commitment to expanding the reach of our Advancement work, together
- Achievements, both large and small, in a way that reflect the gratitude we have for all our donors
- The WIC family – they are why you do what you do and where your best stories come from
What we are looking for:
- An enthusiastic, results-driven, and highly motivated fund development leader with more than 7 years of progressive and impressive achievements, reflecting integrity, loyalty, impact, and optimism
- Extensive fundraising and alumni relations experience, preferably in an independent school environment, in developing and sustaining strong relationships, with colleagues, parents, grandparents, and volunteers, in addition to donors and alumni
- A comprehensive understanding of philanthropic literacy, and how to further develop it within an organization
- A proactive, innovative, and entrepreneurial approach to fundraising and alumni engagement
- Experience as a frontline fundraiser with demonstrated success in personally cultivating, soliciting and securing significant gifts
- The ability to work alongside a dedicated campaign cabinet and Advancement Committee to secure transformational gifts in support of the upcoming capital campaign and special projects
- Undergraduate degree plus CFRE designation
What we offer:
- A permanent and full-time Advancement leadership role
- A dynamic and innovative work environment committed to employee wellness
- Compensation ranging from $135,000 – $160,000 depending on experience and skill alignment
- A benefits package including health and wellness spending accounts and RRSP matching program
- Six weeks of vacation
- Access to professional development opportunities including membership in AFP and internal training opportunities
To learn more about this opportunity, to receive the complete profile, and to discuss your qualifications, please contact Jolayne Davidson Gardner at 403-646-5750 or via email at email@example.com.
To review the job description, please visit:
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline via firstname.lastname@example.org – April 21, 2023 17:00MDT
West Island College embraces all forms of identity that include race, ethnicity, gender, religion, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and physical ability. WIC offers an inspirational working environment, supported development and growth opportunities and a comprehensive compensation package.
For more information about West Island College, please visit:
Cover letters and resumes should be sent electronically to Jolayne Davidson Gardner at email@example.com.
Avista Philanthropy is conducting this search on behalf of West Island College.