Director of Advancement & Communication
Hillfield Strathallan College
Founded in 1901, Hillfield Strathallan College (HSC) is one of Canada’s leading co-educational, university-preparatory schools. Situated on a beautiful campus on top of the Niagara Escarpment, it consists of over 1,200 students and 280 faculty and staff. HSC students benefit from enriched academic opportunities including the Advanced Placement Program, and from a wide range of co-curricular activities that prepare them for their post-secondary studies and career endeavours.
Director of Advancement & Communications
Reporting to the Executive Director of Community Relations, the Director of Advancement and Communications will support and work closely with the Executive Director (ED) to create and execute strategies for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors to support Hillfield Strathallan College’s fundraising goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
In conjunction with the Executive Director, the Director develops the overall goals and priorities of the advancement program.
Cultivation and Fundraising
- Develop programs to identify and enhance the interest and involvement of individuals who directly, or through other sources, are capable of making gifts to Hillfield Strathallan College (HSC).
- In collaboration with the ED, leads the College through a Capital Campaign, and develops campaign strategies, plans, systems, processes and procedures. Directs and participates in the recruitment of campaign leaders.
- Increases donations through cultivation and stewardship with alumni, parents, former parents and other stakeholders.
- Develops and maintains ongoing relationships with donors, volunteers and alumni.
- Takes a lead role in developing, implementing and managing the donor recognition program.
- Researches and writes proposals for presentations in order to secure funding.
- Oversee information systems to track and follow up all potential and actual donors and evaluate the effectiveness of fundraising initiatives.
- Identifies, develops and manages volunteers.
- Ensures adherence to confidentiality and privacy issues relating to prospect and donor information.
- Supports the Alumni Officer with the development and execution of the strategic plan designed to increase the quality and frequency of communication between HSC and its Alumni.
- Provides direction to the Alumni Officer in planning and executing a wide range of events to encourage alumni participation and develop long-lasting relationships.
- Act as an advisor to the Alumni Association Executive Board.
- Supports the Events Officer with the planning and execution of all College-wide events.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, responsible for overseeing the direction and coordination of HSC’s communication strategies as they relate to Advancement and the external profile of the College.
- Oversee and ensures a strong brand identity for the College, ensuring all materials developed internally or externally are in compliance with HSC branding and the College standards.
- Working in conjunction with other members of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director manages and approves all internal and external publications and media campaigns.
- Ensures appropriate actions and communications to support the development of relationships and partnerships with key external and internal stakeholders.
- Oversees the College’s website and electronic communications.
- Evaluates market conditions and customer research and redefine goals and objectives as necessary.
- Oversees the College’s archives to ensure appropriate maintenance, access and filing of the College’s historical records and memorabilia.
- Promotes the opportunity of donating and collecting archival materials to Alumni.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, develops the annual budget to support the Advancement Office’s programs, goals and objectives.
- Administers approved budget in accordance with College’s rules and regulations.
- Works with the Director of Finance in the processing of donations through the Business Office.
- Design, establish, and maintain structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization’s goals and objectives; recruits, employs, trains, supervises and evaluates staff.
- Manages and mentors all staff including but not limited to Communications Team (Manager, Communications Officers (x2)) Advancement Team (Advancement Services Coordinator, Alumni Relations Officer and Events Officer, occasional summer students).
- Develops work plans, manages attendances, and monitors performance through regular performance reviews of the team.
- University education and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with the independent school environment, culture and approach to advancement.
- CFRE designation preferred.
- Relevant experience in fundraising in an educational sector or the not-for-profit environment.
- Familiar with rules, regulations and resources relating to the running of a successful development office, including CRA rules and regulations, professional associations, guidelines, ethical code of practice etc.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, communications, public relations, stewardship and campaign planning.
- Evidence of leadership skills, initiative, tact, diplomacy, and creativity; proven ability to motivate and manage others, i.e., volunteers and staff; excellent investigative skills; proven proposal and presentation skills; excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member in a collaborative and collegial manner.
Please indicate your interest by submitting a resume and covering letter by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, April 29, 2022, to http://hsc.simplication.com/WLSBLogin.aspx.
Our commitment to inclusion across gender, age, religion, identity and experience moves us forward and creates a sense of community at HSC that we are proud of, where everyone feels welcome and feels that they belong.
We encourage applicants who may contribute to the further diversification of this community. Pursuant to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act, if you require accommodations at any time throughout the application process, please contact Human Resources prior to the closing date so the appropriate arrangements can be made.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.