Director of Communications
Rainbow Railroad was founded in 2006 to provide an additional solution to address the global refugee crisis, to which LGBTQI+ persons are uniquely vulnerable. Rainbow Railroad’s mission is to at-risk LGBTQI+ individuals get to safety as they seek a safe haven from state-enabled harassment and violence.
Rainbow Railroad has attracted a high level of visibility in the media due our humanitarian work and advocacy efforts, including broadcast interviews on 60 minutes, CNN and CBC, as well as print mentions in major outlets such as Time magazine, the Guardian and USA Today. Rainbow Railroad reaches out to supporters through social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, which have grown at rates of 25% over the past year. We have published high-level advocacy and impact reports that inform global policy in the LGBTQI+ and refugee spaces. The Chief Executive Officer serves as the main spokesperson of Rainbow Railroad, and they have been a key part of building the brand of the organization. Our impactful work has the potential to reach even more advocates and supporters through strategies which increase our visibility through cultivation of global media outlets, increasing social media presence and promoting our research and policy publications.
Rainbow Railroad is a registered Canadian charity and a USA 501(c)(3) organization with its headquarters in Toronto, Canada and an office in New York City, USA.
Since 2006, Rainbow Railroad supporters have helped more than 5,500 at-risk LGBTQI+ individuals get to safety.
The Director of Communications leads Rainbow Railroad’s public relations, marketing, and communications portfolios. Reporting to the Head of Development, with shared leadership from the Head of Impact, the Director of Communications will conceive and implement Rainbow Railroad’s communications strategy, oversee Rainbow Railroad’s digital presence, oversee organizational branding and marketing, and build a robust public relations plan. The role also ensures externalization of Rainbow Railroad’s impact, its policy positions, and its critical advocacy initiatives to supporters and the public, while maintaining relationships with global media. The Director of Communications will provide direct support, content, and strategic guidance to the Chief Executive Officer as the organization’s chief spokesperson and influencer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Advocacy & Impact
- Lead in the execution of initiatives that externalize the impact of Rainbow Railroad’s mission and vision at a global scale
- With the Head of Impact, build advocacy campaigns that drive progress towards Rainbow Railroad’s advocacy, policy, and partnership goals
- Oversee externalization of Rainbow Railroad-produced reports, white papers, articles, blogs, and videos which inform and educate various audiences (including the wider public and our supporters, but also governments, refugees and civil society partners) about our ongoing work
- Support leadership and staff in the identification and development of content capture opportunities
- Provide support in the drafting and editing of internally produced materials
- Lead in developing opportunities for Rainbow Railroad leadership to elevate the organization’s brand
Communications & Public Relations
- Responsible for Rainbow Railroad’s external communications strategy, ensuring multi-channel, consistent, timely, and meaningful content is shared with our supporters, our stakeholders, and the public
- Builds, executes, and refines a Rainbow Railroad communications calendar informed by communications driven from the programs and impact teams
- Lead in relationships with external contractors, partners, and vendors related to communications and public relations initiatives
- Oversee media relations activities, including distribution of materials to media, relationship development with journalists, preparation of press releases, and execution of earned media opportunities
Marketing & Advertising
- Develop and execute an influencer marketing strategy that builds on the engagement of influencers with Rainbow Railroad’s mission and brand
- Provides strategic guidance to inform Rainbow Railroad’s content mix across digital, social media and traditional media platforms
- Develops and implements an advertising and marketing strategy to build Rainbow Railroad’s audience and audience engagement that meets brand goals
CEO Branding & Media Support
- Oversee the branding and positioning of the Chief Executive Officer as the key organizational spokesperson
- Pitch, and Develop op-ed and subject matter expert opportunities for the CEO to build the CEO’s brand as a thought leader
- Develops a strategic content that elevates the voice and brand of Rainbow Railroad’s CEO through email content, public statements on Rainbow Railroad’s social media channels, and on the CEO’s social media channels
- Examines opportunities for the CEO to be guests on high profile media publications internationally with a focus on the U.S and Canada
- Build a strategy for the CEO to appear as a speaker through US/Canadian speaker’s bureaus.
Staff Support and Supervision
- Manage and supervise staff to set strategic goals with clear outcomes and deliverables, and support a values-based organization and team culture that makes Rainbow Railroad a great place to work including supporting professional development and growth
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- 7+ years of experience in journalism, or in a marketing or communications role, with experience in staff and budget management an asset
- A degree in journalism, communications, public relations or marketing from a post-secondary institution
- An excellent written communicator, with demonstrated success in the writing and publication of press releases, web content, social media content, articles, blogs, and/or reports
- Direct experience in interfacing with media and press, including development of press-facing materials, media pitching, and development of talking points and briefing notes
- Experience in leading an organization’s web and social media presence is highly valued
- A background in journalism, or leading the communications for a non-governmental organization, advocacy organization, human rights organization or a charity is preferred
- Capable of managing numerous initiatives at once, thriving in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- An excellent project manager and problem solver, capable of making thoughtful and strategic decisions to drive success
- A self-starter that drives work, while also working collaboratively and cross-functionally with all members of the organization
- Ability to effectively motivate, train, and supervise staff and establish an operational environment that promotes excellence, leading practice, and engagement
- Extensive knowledge of issues facing 2SLGBTQI communities, including LGBTQI+ refugees, preferably gained through lived experience.
- Demonstrated anti-racist and feminist analysis and commitment to the principles of decolonization and queer and trans liberation.
- Knowledge of applicable legislation (Occupational Health and Safety Act, Human Rights Code, Privacy Legislation etc.)
Application Deadline – January 23, 2023 @ 5:00pm
Length of Contract – Full-Time, Permanent
Hiring Salary – $80,000-$102,000 CAD/year plus competitive benefits package.
Location – Will work out of our Toronto or New York City Office (Hybrid model)
Please forward your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Include the exact job title in the subject line of your email or complete the form here through our website.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Rainbow Railroad is dedicated to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. This includes diversity in languages spoken, culture, race, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.