Director of Development
Position: Director of Development
Location: Corporate Office/Hybrid
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Do you have a passion for helping others? Are you excited by performance-based work and the finer details? The Institute for Advancements in Mental Health (IAM) is seeking a seasoned, dynamic Director of Development to help us provide better solutions for better mental health.
At IAM, we use innovation to improve mental health care for people. Our community-based mental health innovation platform acts as a convener of innovators, mental health organizations, investors, venture and social capitalists, social innovation leaders, designers, and others who are committed to making changes to improve the mental health care and well-being of people. We created IAM to be agile and flexible in order to respond to the needs of those we serve. We are committed to affecting systems change through directly engaging the strengths of and input from those impacted by mental illness.
Through our own in-house services, we design programs around the needs of our clients – people with complex mental health needs and their support circles. That means putting people – not diagnosis or illness – first.
We have a highly engaged team of staff and volunteers here at IAM who are passionate about getting help to people when and where they need it. Now, more than ever, IAM is in a unique position to change how we deliver mental health care. And we invite you to be part of our evolving team!
About the Role
Without our donors, we could not do what we do. As an integral part of the organization, you provide the strategic direction and oversight for all our private sector fundraising efforts. In this new role, you will oversee fundraising strategies and guide the efforts of the fundraising team to increase the support we receive from individuals, corporations and foundations.
Mental health is at a critical juncture. More than ever, Canadians are seeking mental health support and the demand for accessible and effective help is at an all-time high. Working in close collaboration with the CEO and IAM’s volunteer leadership, we’re looking to you to develop long-term fundraising strategies to achieve organizational goals and most importantly, grow our services so we can reach more people in need of mental health care. IAM’s Senior Development Officer – Fundraising Strategist – will also be supporting you in the development of these strategies and will work to ensure their alignment with the organization’s operational plan. Drawing on your fundraising expertise, you will also play a key role in identifying, cultivating and soliciting key supporters and advise and direct team members in the creation and execution of their own annual fundraising plans.
Self-assured and confident, you actively promote IAM’s mission and vision with excitement, passion and energy and demonstrate an externally-oriented practice by initiating donor and prospect engagement calls rooted in sound strategic thinking. You maximize opportunities within traditional development revenue streams and keep abreast of new and innovative practices to attract both philanthropists and impact investors.
Financial management – 15%. Possessing a strong financial acumen, you:
- Propose the annual Development budget for review and approval by the CEO and Board of Directors
- Monitor revenue and expenses in relation to the Development team budget
- Report regularly on fundraising progress and on the management of revenue activities
- Design and oversee the implementation of cost-effective fundraising programs with acceptable levels of quality and ratios of cost-per-dollar raised
Leadership and Management – 20%. With your ability to recruit, engage and inspire a high-performing team, you:
- Demonstrate and encourage knowledge of fundraising best practices
- Oversee contributed revenue development by directing day-to-day activities and monitoring the performance of the Development team (3 direct reports, which includes the Senior Development Officer – Fundraising Strategist, Development Coordinator and Fundraising Consultant)
- Conduct annual goal-setting exercises, ensuring staff are achieving objectives in alignment with organizational and departmental goals
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure critical fundraising processes are aligned with milestone timing of organizational objectives
- Apply oversight to the pipeline of prospects and advise the CEO and fundraising team members on appropriate strategies for individual, foundation and corporate prospects within their portfolios
Strategy and Planning – 15%. Drawing on your extensive experience with successful strategy development, you will:
- Collaborate with the CEO as part of the planning and budgeting process to design strategies to grow contributed revenue portfolios of principal, major and planned giving, annual giving and events
- Work with team members to develop annual work plans for their individual portfolios
- Monitor trends in the sector and adapt fundraising strategies as needed
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved and ethical fundraising principles are upheld
- Support Board members with solicitation activities and advise Board committees as appropriate
Contributed Revenue Development and Operations – 50%. Your proven record of accomplishment in growing organizations lets you:
- Directly manage a designated portfolio of approximately 75-100 supporters and prospects as a coordinated effort with the CEO to cultivate, solicit and steward high-impact donors
- Identify and encourage the team to develop corporate, foundation, community and individual prospects aligned with the organization’s fundraising priorities
- Oversee donor engagement, recognition and stewardship strategies tailored for donors within revenue streams
- Oversee fulfillment of deliverables as outlined in funding agreements and work with IAM’s colleagues to demonstrate the impact of the gift for key donors
- Lead and ensure development of effective content for case for support, donor opportunities, proposals and donor stewardship, and collaborate with Marketing and Communications staff to finalize materials for external use
- Oversee the administration of a donor database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
- Promote and foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization
- Represent the organization beyond fundraising activities by nurturing existing and new relationships with business and community leaders, key stakeholders and sector influencers
- Ensure organizational adherence to legislation, industry codes of ethics and best practices
Skills, Experience and Candidate Attributes
What you bring to the role:
- Minimum of 5-7 years working in a fundraising environment with a focus on contributed revenue
- Previous leadership experience with a track record of motivating and inspiring staff
- Skill in developing and implementing successful strategies for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of donors within contributed revenue programs
- High-level of professionalism with a donor-first attitude
- Proven ability to develop annual donor plans with established priorities
- Exceptional donor/client relations experience
- Exceptional organizational skills, with an expertise in time management and strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated expertise with communicating a charitable case for support through written and verbal opportunities
- A strong work ethic, combining energy and enthusiasm with a rigorous approach to process and metrics
- Personal reputation for integrity and the highest ethical standards
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment where priorities may shift or where a generous level of detail may not be immediately available
- Related university degree or comparable combination of education and work experience
Non-technical Skills and Attributes
- A passion for making an impact for better mental health
- Active listening skills, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong relationships
- A flexible and helpful, team-player attitude and outlook
- An ability to communicate with confidence and exercise sound judgment
- An ability to complete work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines
- A penchant for managing changing priorities and a number of concurrent assignments
- Experience in the use of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM software and general proficiency in the use of MS Office software including MS Project
This is a full-time, permanent position with a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary range for this position is $90,000 to $120,000 annually. The role is hybrid consisting of both remote and in-office work. The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated by the start date.
IAM is committed to employment equity and actively seeks applicants from diverse backgrounds.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume (Word or pdf format) by May 5, 2022 via e-mail to email@example.com
We thank all applicants in advance but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.