Director of Development
Are you passionate about fundraising? Do you want to work for a great cause with a small team at a national health charity? Are you looking for an exciting role and the ability to make a difference in people’s lives? Then, this is the job for you!
Asthma Canada is the only national charity solely devoted to improving the quality of life for people living with asthma and respiratory allergies. For 50 years, Asthma Canada has proudly served as the voice of all Canadians affected by this chronic disease. We empower patients with evidence-based information, education programs and support asthma research in Canada.
When you join the Asthma Canada team, you become part of a small but mighty group of professionals with a shared passion for making a difference for the asthma community. We can provide you with flexible working hours, a hybrid work environment, health benefits, a competitive salary, vacation package, and the opportunity to build a dynamic fundraising program to support the organization’s growth to meet the needs of our community.
Overview of the Role:
Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the Director of Development will be responsible for developing and executing Asthma Canada’s fundraising strategies and accountable for fundraising revenues from multiple existing as well as new revenue sources.
We are looking for an ambitious, results-driven, self-starter with strong problem solving and analytical skills who has demonstrated success at increasing fundraising revenues through a variety of methodologies. Experienced at designing and implementing annual giving programs, the ideal candidate for this role is proactive, enthusiastic, persistent, and can work well independently and in a small team environment. The successful candidate is a critical thinker with exemplary relationship building skills and has a passion for helping others.
The Director of Development will plan, manage, evaluate, and grow both existing revenue channels as well as develop and implement new ones. The development portfolio will include, but is not limited to, annual giving, major gifts, community fundraising, foundation grants, corporate sponsorship and philanthropy and other sources of charitable revenue.
The incumbent will be responsible for designing and implementing a stewardship strategy to broaden donor engagement and develop a pipeline of support for future higher levels of giving. The Director will play a key role in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and recognizing individual donors with the goal of increasing gift revenue from all sources.
The successful individual will also be tasked with evaluating the success of the fundraising program using different metrics to determine strengths and weaknesses, and how to best plan for further growth.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the President & CEO and as a member of the leadership team to build a culture of philanthropy and accountability for revenue targets.
- Plan and execute an annual plan for all fundraising efforts, with a primary focus on annual giving.
- Implement an individual giving program that encompasses a range of components such as direct mail, online giving, monthly giving, individual annual campaigns, in tribute/memoriam giving to create a growing and sustainable foundation of annual revenue.
- Research and manage solicitations and stewardship for charitable foundations and corporate donors.
- Develop and execute fundraising copy and materials with support from marketing and communications.
- Develop, implement, and manage a donor stewardship strategy.
- Analyze data to identify opportunities to improve the donor journey resulting in higher levels of retention and gifts.
- Track all fundraising activity, quantitative and qualitative data in a timely manner, maintaining and ensuring the integrity of the Asthma Canada donor database (DonorPerfect).
- Manage and execute the research, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors.
- Analyze data to inform growth strategies; predict and respond to trends and test new fundraising ideas; define and implement metrics for measuring, reporting, analyzing and aggregating donor behaviour and segmentation strategies.
- Develop and oversee budgets, expenses, projections, key performance indicators, progress, goals and objectives, and deadlines related to the fund development portfolio.
Required Skills and Core Competencies:
- A University degree or college diploma in a relevant discipline; post Graduate Certificate in Fundraising is an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive fundraising experience with proven success within the non-profit sector
- CFRE certification is an asset.
- Successful experience with developing an annual giving strategy and executing programs with deep understanding of donor targeted communication, stewardship, and data management.
- Experience with other fundraising methodologies an asset.
- Strong expertise in the development of both print and digital fundraising materials.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to draw meaningful insights from data to inform decisions.
- Knowledge and experience with a donor database system such as DonorPerfect or Raiser’s Edge.
- Results driven and demonstrated commitment to accountability.
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Works well independently and within a small team.
- Adept as a problem-solver as well as being innovative, creative, and strategic.
- Experience working for a health charity is an asset.
- Mission driven, displaying exceptional passion and empathy for others.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Director of Development” in the subject line.
While we wish to acknowledge all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Asthma Canada values the diversity of the people it hires and serves. Diversity at Asthma Canada means fostering a workplace in which individual differences are recognized, appreciated, respected, and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents and strengths.
Asthma Canada is committed to making the recruitment process accessible to all candidates. Accommodations for disabilities are available upon request. For additional information on our vision, mission, and values (Client-focused, We Listen, Caring and Compassionate, & Collaborative), and to learn more about Asthma Canada’s programs please visit www.asthma.ca.