Director of Partnerships & Development
Soulpepper Theatre Company
Director of Partnerships & Development
Soulpepper is Canada’s leading artist-driven theatre company. We believe that stories can connect us, that they are vital to our understanding, compassion, and knowledge, and that they can motivate us toward social change. We are passionate, understanding, and inclusive, instilling the values of belonging, excellence, and innovation in all we do.
We are artist-driven. We are a community of artists, theatre makers and administrators who are committed to creating vital theatre. We tell stories that resonate in different ways across time and place; stories that raise necessary questions; stories that can inspire us, and the audiences who engage with us, to imagine and work towards a better world.
As well as producing the work of diverse visionary artists, we offer a host of ancillary programs that nurture and develop the creativity of everyone who wishes to engage with the theatrical, musical, and performing arts. We offer these opportunities because we believe that the arts are for everyone, and we know that creative expression is a vital part of individual and community life.
We engage with our city, and its many diverse communities, through our programming and outreach, and strive to make Soulpepper a place of belonging for everyone who would like to participate, regardless of class, race, language, or ability.
As Director of Partnerships & Development, you will lead the Development Department, designing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising strategy that responds to the needs of both Soulpepper, and its joint venture, the Young Centre for the Performing Arts. Reporting to the Executive Director, you will take responsibility for all aspects of public funding and private sector giving, including corporate, foundation and individual.
As part of Soulpepper’s Senior Management Team, you will contribute fully to the strategic direction of the company, working on cross departmental, organizational, and external partnership projects for the advancement of Soulpepper’s vision and mission.
You will be an energized, networked connected and entrepreneurial-minded individual, confident in the company of high-level donors, sponsors, and prospects, and able to communicate with impact about the creative life of the organization.
- Maximize philanthropic support for Soulpepper and the Young Centre by designing and implementing an overall fundraising strategy for achieving annual fundraising goals and special campaigns as required.
- Manage the strategic approach, research, and execution of compelling proposals for major support from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Manage the process of applying for government and public funding, including the acquisition of new grants.
- Develop and execute unique and exciting giving programs for different donor segments and members.
- Develop capital or special campaigns in support of strategic objectives.
- Support the ongoing resilience of the company, by securing multi-year gifts wherever possible.
- Ensure the successful delivery of all development department events, delivering appropriate opportunities for donor cultivation and stewardship, including fundraising events.
- Track giving trends and take all necessary steps to expand the donor base and elevate the giving sights of current supporters.
- Lead the development of a distinct fundraising plan for The Young Centre for the Performing Arts, with particular focus on the capital replacement and development needs of the building.
- Work with the Executive Director, Director of Finance and Chair of the Development Committee to establish revenue targets, expenditure budgets and reporting protocols for the department.
- Attend Board meetings, and be the primary staff lead for the Development Committee of the Board.
- Work closely with the Artistic Director and Executive Director to ensure their effective and efficient participation in development activity as necessary.
- Work closely with the Senior Management Team to understand and analyze new ideas and initiatives for Soulpepper, working to effect strategies and campaigns that will procure resources as required.
- Work closely with the Director of Communications to create synergies between the Development and Communications teams, ensuring that Soulpepper presents a cohesive voice to existing and potential donors and patrons.
- Provide hands-on support and advice to Development Committee members, Board members and other senior volunteers to achieve the objectives of the fundraising strategy.
- Lead and motivate departmental staff to achieve department goals. Recruit and develop the team, communicating expectations, appraising results, and providing opportunities for professional growth.
- Support the strategic goals of Soulpepper and the Young Centre by collaborating with senior management in the development of the long-term financial and strategic business planning processes.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge including awareness of industry best-practices.
- Contribute to the overall success of Soulpepper and the Young Centre by accomplishing related results as needed.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS
- Progressive senior level fundraising leadership experience with a proven track record of success, including experience managing a department.
- Advanced awareness of fundraising practices and principles in the charitable sector including CRA regulations as they pertain to charitable giving.
- A strong leader and manager of people who excels at cultivating meaningful relationships with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated talent for cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors.
- Experience with successful grant-writing.
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational, time-management and team building skills.
- Superior interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Self-starter, detail oriented, flexible, and open to change.
- Able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- A high performer – able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with ambitious goals and multiple priorities.
- A passion for the role and impact of Soulpepper Theatre Company in the community and beyond.
- English / French bilingualism is an asset.
- Demonstrated talent for cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- An effective relationship builder, with a broad network in the Toronto community and a history of consensus and bridge-building, internally and externally.
- Able to articulate Soulpepper’s mission, traditions, excellence, priorities, and goals with enthusiasm and creativity.
- Emotionally mature with a strong “boardroom” presence, personal dynamism, excellent interpersonal skills, vision, and business acumen.
- Results-oriented personality with a collegial management approach and high level of integrity.
- Disciplined; accepts ownership with a hands-on approach.
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful, and flexible.
Salary range is from $140,000 to $150,000 depending on experience, plus benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé to email@example.com, no later than Sunday, April 16th, 2023.
Soulpepper is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community and our country.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and encourage submissions from individuals with proper credentials, of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. Soulpepper is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process.
Soulpepper invites candidates who may require assistance during the application and/or hiring process, to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs.
Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.