Director of Partnerships
Engineers Without Borders Canada brings people and ideas together to tackle the most crucial causes of poverty and inequality. We link people living in poverty with the opportunities they need to improve their lives by supporting social enterprises that serve their needs, by educating Canadians about de-colonized approaches to global development and by advocating for improved development related policies in Canada.
We are recruiting for a Director of Partnerships to join our team
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Partnerships will drive strategy and increase fundraising capacity for the organization. The Director of Partnerships will manage a portfolio of donors and prospects and meet financial and relationship objectives in support of departmental and organizational goals. The role will ensure a high level of planning, coordination, preparation and execution of fundraising activities involving the CEO and the partnership department. The Director will lead and oversee team members responsible for the development and implementation of corporate, foundation, annual and major gift plans that include individual, foundation, corporate, sponsorship, and partnership campaigns.
As the ideal candidate you are an experienced Major Gift fundraiser with a track record of success in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individuals, foundations and corporations in the six- and seven-figure range. You take the initiative in reaching out to build relationships with donors and volunteers. You are also passionate for delivering world class service experience, with the proven ability to leverage technology, data and creative to anticipate and evolve service delivery to meet the ever-changing needs of organizational supporters. As an exceptional communicator, you are skilled at creating compelling communications that build relationships and generate revenue.
Opportunity Highlights (but not limited to):
- In conjunction with the CEO, create and implement strategies in support of fundraising goals and initiatives, including: working collaboratively with management team and senior volunteers to establish operating plans and objectives, solicitation priorities, and cultivation and recognition events.
- Provide leadership to direct reports through coaching, mentoring, training and development opportunities, and performance management.
- Systematically identify strategies to attract key audiences – especially high net-worth individuals and foundations – to more effectively reach current donors, grow our donor base, and convert contacts to donors.
- Take stock of our main fundraising approaches in Annual Giving and rely on our Manager of Annual Giving to build and execute a strategy of annual giving that integrates with our main programming.
- Manage the Major Gifts portfolio alongside the CEO, cultivating a portfolio of ~70 individual major giving relationships ($10k – $1m). You will be expected to grow the portfolio with new relationships and lead the cultivation and you will be part of solicitation both alongside the CEO and on your own.
- Comfortable discussing endowment and planned giving, and possess a solid working knowledge of these giving vehicles, including charitable bequests, beneficiary designations, gifts involving retirement plan assets and life insurance policies, charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, and other outright and deferred planned gifts.
- Actively build a donor pipeline: You will attend key events and actively research and outreach through referrals to build a strong and growing set of major gifts relationships.
- Direct leadership in maintaining internal controls to minimize risk and optimize quality assurance protocols.
- Contribute to fundraising planning and strategy: You will be involved in organizational level planning, and have a say in resource allocation, such that you have the resources you need to succeed. You will be responsible for the Partnerships team budget.
- Analyze and report on gaps between the current and future state of business and systems environments.
In addition, you should have some mix of the following characteristics & beliefs:
- Be an owner and be entrepreneurial: take responsibility for finding a way to get things done, gain traction and deliver value to EWB & our partners – be proactive about improving things where they need to be improved.
- Have a sense of humour! We take our work seriously, but we try not to take ourselves too seriously.
- Follow the golden rule: treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Be an incredible teammate: everything comes back to trust and respect – demonstrating empathy will make you far more successful in your work at EWB.
The Salary range is between $85,000 – $110,000 commensurate with experience and comparable to similar roles in the non-profit sector. All employees are provided with a comprehensive health/dental benefits package, Professional Development allowance and 3 weeks of vacation each year.
What’s it like to work at EWB?
EWB is a high-performing team-based work environment. We are a small team with staff members based across Canada and on the African Continent.
EWB is permanently a remote working office. Our culture is one of passion, entrepreneurship, pragmatism, thoughtfulness, dedication and hard work. We have a strong commitment to excellence and achieving results.
Work hours are typically 9 am to 5:00 pm with varied hours as required by meetings or events.
Diversity, Inclusion and Gender Equality
EWB embraces diverse cultures, heritages, experiences and opinions in efforts to enrich our programmes and foster inclusive decision making. EWB is committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free employment free from discrimination, and to hiring diverse candidates.
EWB believes that gender discrimination is a root cause of global poverty and economic inequality, and the achievement of gender equality is integral to our mission of achieving systemic change and creating a more just society. We seek to achieve a vision of a more equitable society, inherent to which is the enjoyment of human rights and fundamental freedoms by all persons, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, class, ethnicity, disability, age or another status.
Please click here to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until January 26, 2022.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Note “Director of Partnerships” in the subject line.