Director of Philanthropy
YWCA Canada is looking for a Director of Philanthropy to join their team. This position oversees the philanthropic, digital marketing, and strategic impact initiatives of the National Office, working collaboratively with donors, corporate partners, member associations, key stakeholders, and internal staff to deliver the strategic goals and mission of the organization.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the role demands a hands-on people person with a passion for philanthropy and social change. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record in fundraising and wants to disrupt the traditional approaches to philanthropy. They are tired of superficial paths to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the non-profit sector. This individual is committed to mainstreaming an anti-oppression lens and are comfortable having candid conversations about how the potential for advocacy creates social change.
A strong team player with two to three direct reports and working in close collaboration with the rest of the senior leadership team, they will lead by example, demonstrating a commitment to pan-Canadian campaigns, mentoring and coaching QTBIPOC leadership, nurturing ongoing relationships, and strategic program innovation. Being media savvy, they will possess a strong eye for co-creating campaigns which tap into the activist and change maker in donors.
- Manage YWCA Canada’s response to proposals, including writing narratives, developing budgets, and communicating with funders;
- Create and maintain a strategic fundraising plan with targets, including digital campaigns and Peer2Peer initiatives;
- Develop and initiate new fundraising, programming, and service delivery ideas;
- Lead two annual fundraising campaigns and develop pan-Canadian fundraising strategies with the CEO and member associations;
- General Fund Development portfolio oversight (acquisition/retention and administration);
- Contribute to fund development-related web development, social media, video production, and other traditional/digital marketing and promotional materials;
- Develop a work plan with stakeholders for income diversification and execute the work plan;
- Prospect and secure monetary and in-kind donations and sponsorships;
- Manage a donor recognition program and evaluate Third Party fundraising opportunities;
- Collaborate with member associations to document and disseminate fundraising best practices;
- Co-ordinate data management of donors, community partners, sponsors, in-kind and other sources of income using database management tools (e.g. Artez, DonorPerfect) – as well as operate other software and systems (CanadaHelps, etc.);
- Prepare and deliver donor prospecting plans, and ensure effective stewardship and recognition plans for existing donor/support base;
- Implement communication plans and represent the agency in public relations;
- Support professional development direct reports;
- Collaborate with members of the senior leadership team to develop and implement YWCA Canada procedures and policies;
- Build and manage strategic partnerships;
- Conduct public speaking/presentations and represent the agency with professionalism.
- A diploma or bachelor’s degree in philanthropy, non-profit management or leadership, business administration, marketing, communications, public relations, humanities, or a related field;
- 5-10 years of professional philanthropy experience in a fast-paced charitable or non-profit environment;
- A minimum of 5 years of comprehensive fundraising experience;
- A minimum of 3 years of supervisory, management, or leadership experience with a strong ability to motivate and facilitate the development of others;
- A certificate in Fundraising management or CFRE (Certified Fundraising Executive) designation or in progress is preferred;
- Knowledge of AFP guidelines, Donor Bill of Rights, and CRA Guidelines is an asset;
- Extensive experience with solicitation and stewardship of individual, foundation, and corporate donors, donors and potential donor cultivation and research, grant writing, and special events;
- Experience working with a board of directors is an asset;
- Fluently bilingual in (English and French) is preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to build and cultivate a culture of philanthropy within an organization and to engage in one-on-one solicitation and ongoing donor stewardship;
- A successful track record in executing strategy, setting priorities, managing multiple projects, and working effectively under pressure to achieve individual and organizational goals;
- Advanced ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Strong level of emotional intelligence and ability to listen to others;
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite, SharePoint, Donor Perfect, RaisersEdge, granting/donor databases (and management tools), customer relationship management systems, digital communications (social media sites, web content management), and online fund processing systems;
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends when required in a variety of social and physical settings along with travel and offsite work.
Why work at YWCA Canada?
Working at YWCA Canada provides an exceptional opportunity to be a part of an organization that actively encourages collaboration and work-life balance. With a flexible and collegial work environment, employees have the freedom to express themselves, contribute to projects, and engage with their colleagues in creative ways. Our organization offers a range of benefits for employees including an employer-matching pension plan, competitive salary based on experience and skills, and a generous benefits package which includes 3-weeks base paid vacations, health and dental coverage, and a supplemental health spending account.
The successful candidate will be committed to working from an anti-oppression, feminist perspective. YWCA encourages women from racialized and/or newcomer, gender diverse, non-binary and/or gender fluid, 2SLGBTQIA+ First Nation, Métis and Inuit, immigrant, refugee, BIPOC, and people living with disabilities to apply.
Please send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. Please state Director of Philanthropy in the subject line. We thank all applicants for applying but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.