Director of Philanthropy
DIRECTOR OF PHILANTHROPY – REVISED September 6, 2023
The Alzheimer Society of York Region (AS York) is a leader in helping to improve the quality of life for people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. We provide supportive counselling and education opportunities to individuals and families living with dementia. AS York also provides respite to caregivers and social activities for persons diagnosed with cognitive impairment through its three dementia-specific adult day program. A non-profit, community-based organization, AS York offers programs and services across the Region of York.
Reporting to the CEO, and as a member of the senior management team, the Director of Philanthropy will strategically assess, lead, and grow revenue streams to achieve annual goals. This includes building communication and fundraising plans focussed on direct marketing platforms, major and planned gifts, tribute giving, special events, grants, and stewardship/recognition. The Director will lead and mentor the development team, and nurture a culture of philanthropy across the organization.
- Develop and monitor Philanthropy department plans/budgets, ensuring revenue goals met; expenses maintained
- Evaluate/continually improve quality of fundraising program, systems, and processes
- Research/manage portfolio of 50-100 major gift donors/prospects; work with CEO and leadership volunteers (board, committee members) to involve in major gift strategies (identify, cultivate, solicit, close, steward)
- Develop strategic relationships with individuals and community partners to meet annual/long term goals
- Lead proposal development working cross-stream/department to obtain necessary information, ensuring deadlines for submission, reports, and other requirements are met
- Staff lead for the Fund Development & Communications Committee; assist Committee Chair/CEO to identify, recruit, train and motivate volunteers to assist in moving strategies forward
- Manage external communications and messaging (collateral/materials), press releases, media contacts
- As a member of the senior management team, contribute to strategic and operational plans and goals for the organization
- Manage and motivate staff to meet goals
- Provide direction to consultants and vendors for projects as required
- 7+ years of progressive/relevant work experience in the not-for-profit sector, and a university degree
- Proven success securing major and planned gifts
- Experience leading/motivating staff teams
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong, authentic, and sustainable relationships with colleagues, board, leadership volunteers, donors and partners
- Tenacity, initiative, and excellent communication skills (verbal, written, visual, public speaking)
- An experienced, results-oriented and focused professional with excellent planning and organizational skills
- Demonstrated diplomacy, sensitivity to confidential information, and sound judgment
- Computer literacy: proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher), Adobe Pro, donation databases (preferably Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge NXT); on-line research tools
- AFP membership with CFRE designation preferred; maintain and adhere to the AFP Code of Conduct
- Clear Police Vulnerable Sector Check, and proof of full COVID—19 vaccination.
- Knowledge of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle; familiarity with York Region
Salary Range: $75K – $105KQualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume, stating salary expectations, by October 5th, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org, with Director of Philanthropy in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and therefore early submission is encouraged. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. AS York is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse population we serve. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at 905-726-3477. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
Note: As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to strengthen and promote health protection to clients, staff, volunteers, students, contractors, and members of the public attending the Alzheimer Society of York Region (“AS York”), prior to the first day of employment with AS York, all successful candidates are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination (full vaccination is required) from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or other authorized source. An individual is fully vaccinated if they have provided proof of vaccination in the form of a receipt from COVaxON (the Ministry’s provincial system for COVID-19 vaccination information) and 14 days have elapsed from the final dose. In the event that you are unable to be vaccinated as a result of a ground protected under the Human Rights Code, you may submit a written explanation of the ground and any supporting documentation for AS York to determine if you are exempt from this requirement.