Director of Philanthropy
Amref Health Africa is Africa’s leading health non-profit organization. Africa-led and Africa-based, we have been headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya since our founding in 1957. We partner with communities in over 35 countries reaching more than 7.8 million people to sustainably strengthen fragile health systems so that improvements in access to life-saving health care can last for generations to come.
In addition to 8 country offices in Africa, Amref has 10 offices in Europe and North America supporting our wide array of programs in Africa through project management, revenue generation and generating awareness. Amref Health Africa in Canada celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2024.
Lasting health change in Africa
To increase sustainable health access to communities in Africa through solutions in human resources for health, health service delivery, and investments in health.
Integrity: Demonstrating high ethical standards in all our dealings.
Quality: Ensuring excellence is core to our planning and execution.
Ubuntu: Embracing compassion based on our fundamental shared humanity.
Leadership: Amref Health Africa embraces a culture of leadership as an attitude rather than a role internally while taking industry leadership externally
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving on the senior leadership team, the Director of Philanthropy will support and drive forward our ambitious fundraising strategy. They will be responsible for developing new partnerships with individuals, foundations, and corporations who align with our values and mission. This position will provide strategy development and fundraising implementation through prospective donor identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. They will hold their own portfolio of donors and lead their team to increase the acquisition and retention of supporters. The Director of Philanthropy will play a leadership role in shaping our three main organizational commitments of: 1. enhancing financial sustainability by strengthening and diversifying our funding and donor base, 2. strengthening program excellence by supporting the delivery of high-impact programs that inspire donors, partners, and the public, and 3. optimizing organizational effectiveness by ensuring operational excellence.
The successful candidate will have an opportunity to build and launch a fundraising capability for the organization, with support from the Executive Director, an engaged Board of Directors, and Amref HQ. The environment will be collaborative, entrepreneurial, and forward-thinking. Our corporate ambition is to increase awareness of Amref’s incredible programmatic impact and grow philanthropic donations to expand the scope and scale of health services and research in Africa.
Strategy and planning
- Support the organization’s overall strategic planning process, ensuring key insights related to the philanthropy portfolio are identified and shared.
- Lead the development of the annual fundraising strategy for Amref Canada in support of the strategic plan, including the development of performance indicators for regular progress tracking.
- Lead the development of an annual implementation plan for the team to fulfil goals established for individual and major donors, foundations, corporations, events, donor relations and stewardship.
- Provide oversight to the portfolio’s expense budget, monitoring expenditures and ensuring optimal allocation of resources.
- Develop and track metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs) related to the areas of responsibility in the portfolio.
- Provide leadership to the Board’s Fundraising Committee.
Donor Cultivation and Pipeline development
- Provide day-to-day fundraising leadership, coaching, and support to the organization, with a focus on major gift cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, donor services and operations, and prospect research.
- Achievement of revenue goals in alignment with the annual operating plan and strategic plan.
- Oversee and develop key major, foundation, and corporate relationships to strengthen and grow long-term engagement.
- Develop a major gift strategy in close partnership with the Board Fundraising committee and Executive Director.
- Maintain operational excellence in tax receipting and donation processes.
- Lead the communication and execution of planned giving opportunities.
- Expand the middle donor program, with a focus on growing the pipeline for major gifts.
- In collaboration with our program and communication team, provide input into the production of compelling presentation materials, customized proposals, case statements, and solicitation materials.
- Oversee event planning related to philanthropic donor engagements.
- Create annual operating plans in partnership with marketing and development team members.
- Establish and maintain gift acceptance and stewardship policies and procedures in line with CRA, Imagine Canada, and AFP requirements and best practices.
- Partner with the program team to create compelling donor offers, funding proposals, and stewardship reports.
- Establish and maintain donor data entry protocols and best practices.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of the organization’s funding priorities across all Amref entities to match the interests of prospective donors with the needs of the organization.
- Represent Amref Canada in the global Amref Fundraising Markets Development team.
- Provide input to the creation of effective communication strategies related to all donor stakeholder groups.
- Depending on the experience of the successful candidate, responsibility for the annual giving program (inclusive to direct and digital marketing across the donor journey) could also be included.
Financial management and reporting
- Oversee the development of reports for team planning sessions and regular development team meetings, including up-to-date prospect pipeline and active proposal
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and Executive Director to develop forecasts, multi-year budgeting, and fundraising investments.
- Ensure quarterly fundraising financial reports are provided to the Global Fundraising Development Office and the Amref Canada Board of Directors, providing variance explanations of income to budget.
- Participate in the recruitment, orientation, and support of the fundraising department staff.
- Work with direct reports to develop objective performance measurements and ensure consistent evaluation and goal setting.
- Ensure coordination and collaboration with Amref Canada departments (finance, communications, programs) by providing the information and support needed to further the goals of other teams.
- 6-8 years of experience in a fundraising role and 2-3 years of experience managing staff or teams.
- University degree or College degree specializing in Fundraising for not for profits. Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- CFRE or working towards a recognized professional fundraising designation is considered an asset.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check required.
- Demonstrated success identifying, cultivating, stewarding, and solicitation of major gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Experience with prospect research tools, fundraising software, and database solutions.
- Clear understanding and implementation of ethical fundraising standards.
- Experience working with senior volunteers.
- Proven proposal and presentation delivery experience.
- Proven team leadership experience in motivating and directing staff to achieved shared priorities.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team to develop strategies that ensure individual and team goals are reached.
- Superior interpersonal abilities and emotional intelligence.
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, project management, and time management.
- Proven leadership ability to motivate teams and cultivate a high performing and engaged work environment.
- Self-directed and pro-active in establishing priorities.
- Analytical skills to compile, analyze, and interpret data on prospects and donors.
Amref Health Africa in Canada uses a hybrid work model (minimum 1-2 days per week in office, subject to change). Beyond standard office hours, the role requires flexible working hours to effectively coordinate with our global colleagues. Domestic and international travel (1-2 trips to Africa or Europe annually) is a part of this role and requires additional flexibility on working hours in line with Amref Health Africa in Canada’s Human Resources policy. Our office currently closes between December 25th and January 1st.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility:
Our organization strives to embed the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in our policies, procedures, programs, projects, initiatives, practices, products and services. These principles centre around the uniqueness and differences among people, the value of multiple identities and attributes of individuals, the intersectionality of human features, the representation of people of different backgrounds, the harmony and unity of people in spite of their variations, the subscription to the ideals of social justice, equality, and fairness, and the centrality of social change for a better workplace, community, and world.
How can we make the hiring process accessible for you? Please advise us should you require any accommodation to participate in the recruitment and/or assessment process.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
We thank you for your interest. Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.