Easter Seals Ontario
Director of Philanthropy
Posted On: November 3, 2021
Closing On: November 30, 2021
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: fulltime
About Easter Seals Ontario
Easter Seals Ontario is a registered charitable organization that helps children and youth with physical disabilities from all ethnic and religious backgrounds. Since 1922, with the help of our generous donors, Easter Seals Ontario has been offering programs and services that enable kids to experience greater independence and focus on what they can do rather than on their limitations. We assist families with the purchase of essential mobility and accessibility equipment such as wheelchairs, walkers, porch lifts and ramps, as well as toileting aids and bathing equipment. We are also an industry leader in providing fully accessible summer camp programs at our two camps, Camp Woodeden in London and Camp Merrywood in Perth. In addition, Easter Seals offers access to special education and other information resources for parents and public education and awareness on disability issues.
What’s it like to work at Easter Seals Ontario?
Our ability to deliver on its mission has helped the Easter Seals Ontario garner notable corporate support as well as the successful engagement of donors through a wide variety of regional fundraising events and annual giving. Over the last two years, Easter Seals Ontario has been working to transition to a more comprehensive and diversified fundraising approach that includes major giving. As we approach our 100th anniversary in 2022, we are at a pivotal time that is both challenging and rewarding.
Our positions offer tremendous diversity and opportunities for professional growth, focusing on our Core Values by being bold, working stronger together, by being a champion to help make a difference. Together, we are helping kids BE KIDS! EasterSeals.org.
We get excited about creating positive change for the kids and families we serve and feel like we have done our job when a community comes together with pride to achieve these incredible outcomes.
Easter Seals Ontario is looking for an experienced and strategic fundraiser who will grow and manage an individual philanthropy program that includes major, planned and annual giving, and help shift the organization towards a more proactive, personalized approach to fundraising. The Director will develop and implement the necessary foundations for a major giving program focused on the GTA. They will build and manage a portfolio of major gift prospects ($10,000+), partnering with the CEO, development staff and volunteers to close gifts. The Director will also manage a team of approximately five individuals, including fundraisers and supporting staff, and work collaboratively with ESO program, leadership and regional staff.
Frontline Fundraising (50%)
- Build a portfolio of GTA major ($10,000+) and leadership ($100,000+) gift prospects, working collaboratively with the President & CEO, GTA development staff, Board of Directors and volunteers
- Maintain a portfolio of at least 50 individual prospects, working to qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward gifts at the leadership and major giving levels
- Partner with and advise the CEO, Manager of Corporate Partnership and Senior Development Manager, on donor strategy as appropriate
- Build relationships with Easter Seals kids, families and influencers, and program staff, to support work with donors
Philanthropy Program Strategy and Operations (40%)
- Provide leadership and develop strategy for increasing Easter Seals Ontario’ financial resources through philanthropic giving to advance the strategic goals of the organization
- Develop multi-year and annual fundraising plans and manage their implementation
- Manage development of fundraising goals and budget and prepare regular reports on progress
- Plan and manage special campaigns/goal-oriented major gift initiatives to meet financial objectives.
- Work with the philanthropy team, communications and other units to build the operational structure and foundations for an effective major gifts program, including processes and mechanisms for:
- Fundraising priorities/case for support development
- Prospect identification, research and tracking
- Proposal and donor material development
- Data management
- Drive planned giving strategy, working with the Sr. Development Manager, to increase the number of bequest intentions
- Provide strategic oversight of all other GTA fundraising programs including corporate and foundation giving, the President’s Circle (leadership annual giving), annual giving and events
- In collaboration with President & CEO, coordinate the enlistment and management of Board and other volunteers to support the achievement of fundraising objectives
- Serve as a member of the Executive Leadership team
- Strategize and partner with regional development staff on fundraising strategy where appropriate
Staff Management (10%)
- Manage approximately five core staff positions setting and monitoring performance objectives, collaborating, motivating, and mentoring
- In collaboration with Human Resources, fill team vacancies as needed and advise on optimal development structure and roles
- Foster a culture of collaboration, inclusivity, and accountability within the philanthropy team, and between philanthropy and the rest of the organization, including regional development units
- Contribute to Easter Seals Ontario’s overall culture by understanding and supporting our mission and vision, and actively demonstrating our values
Opportunity for Promotion
Easter Seals Ontario believes in providing opportunities for its employees to advance within the organization. Our intention is to grow ESO’s philanthropic program, increase revenue, and broaden our community of supporters. We anticipate that with successful results over the course of the next few years, we will be in a position to promote the Director, increase scope of responsibility, with commensurate compensation.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree and/or diploma in fundraising/non-profit management
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience leading and executing major fundraising programs in the non-profit sector
- CFRE designation is an asset
- Successful track record cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors at the $10,000+ level
- Strategic thinking with experience in annual and multi-year planning, goal setting and budget setting
- Knowledge and experience in prospect development, donor relations and stewardship, and fundraising communications
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team and work in a team environment; as well as the ability to collaborate effectively with other departments
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, high energy, results-oriented attitude with the drive to exceed expectations
- Experience working with volunteers, committees, and boards
- A genuine connection to Easter Seals Ontario’s mission
- Experience and contacts within the philanthropic community in the GTA considered an asset
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge is an asset
- Driver’s license highly desired and access to a vehicle is preferred
- The ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as necessary
Location: Hybrid and Provincial Office: One Concorde Gate, North York Ontario, M3C 3N6
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary Range: $90,000-$110,000
The successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including a vulnerable sector screen.
Easter Seals Ontario is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. Candidates with be provided with an overview of the various elements of the selection process, such as tests, skills demonstrations, etc. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to providing reasonable accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.