Position: Director, Philanthropy
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Location: Hybrid (two days in the office per week)
Primary location is the Lung Health Foundation’s office in Toronto
Imagine a future where people living with lung cancer have a fighting chance, where no one loses a loved one to asthma, where people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) live their lives to the fullest, where older adults don’t lose their independence in life, and where future generations don’t suffer the debilitating effects of lung disease.
The Lung Health Foundation is committed to making this future a reality. And this new future starts now.
The Lung Health Foundation’s mission is to improve the lung health of Canadians, and we will achieve this through:
- Groundbreaking research;
- Policy and practice change;
- Urgently needed programs and support; and
- Public education around lung health issues.
And at the heart of it all? Helping those who have been impacted by lung disease.
With a new brand and an exciting new strategic vision to help Canadians breathe, the Lung Health Foundation is looking for an experienced leader for the role of Director, Philanthropy.
Under the direction of the Executive Vice President, the Director, Philanthropy will be responsible for diversifying and growing the organization’s revenue base — stewarding existing relationships, and developing, cultivating and closing new gifts with individual, corporate and institutional donors.
A key member of the Management Team and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the Lung Health Foundation’s development activities, the Director, Philanthropy will design and implement a comprehensive plan for cultivating support, expanding and diversifying the organization’s donor base/pipeline, and working closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives.
- Develops annual business plans and budgets for individual (including direct response), foundation and corporate fundraising in collaboration with the Executive Vice President and members of the Development team
- Manages and implements approved business plans, ensuring that the annual revenue objectives and budget are met or exceeded
- Develops and manages relationships within his/her own major gift portfolio, personally conducting cultivation visits, solicitation calls and stewardship activities
- Identifies and qualifies potential new donors to grow the prospect pipeline
- Prepares development communications: solicitation and acknowledgement letters; case statements and proposals; stewardship reports; briefing notes; gift agreements
- Leads and mentors a team that includes: National Manager, Development (with two direct reports: Development Specialist; Specialist, Corporate Partnerships); Direct Response Manager; Manager, Events & Community Engagement (with direct report: Community Engagement Specialist)
- Monitors own activity and participates in monitoring requirements of the team, ensuring that monthly activity benchmarks for donor contacts are achieved
- Provides the organization with interpretation of market trends and emerging issues that could impact the organization
- Works closely with all departments to build a culture of philanthropy and collaboration
- Develops and implements a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors and corporate partners
- Ensures the effective collection of donor information and tracking of points of contact in accordance with best practices; provide and present statistical analysis to senior leaders
- Effectively manages fundraising resources and practice ethical fundraising
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Vice President
- University degree or equivalent education and experience
- Minimum 7-10 years of relevant experience in fund development, including securing major gifts and managing relationships at all giving levels
- Experience in direct response and special events
- Experience in a health-related organization would be an asset
- Proven track record of exceeding personal and team fundraising goals
- Demonstrated experience in identifying and converting new prospects to donors
- Exceptional networking ability
- Excellent verbal and written skills, with the demonstrated ability of developing and presenting strong cases for support and effectively reporting on the impact of gifts
- Proven management abilities with the demonstrated ability to drive and achieve financial targets
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills, with the ability to build and lead an effective team
- Experience in inspiring, developing and working with senior level volunteers
- Superior competence in interpersonal communications and collaboration
- Strong technical skills including experience with fundraising database applications (knowledge of Raisers Edge is an asset) and Microsoft Office
- Willingness to work outside of regular business hours and travel as necessary
- CFRE designation is an asset
- Fluency in French would be an asset
We’re looking for people who share our values:
- To lead with courage and passion
- To act as one unified and integrated team
- To be nimble, open and quick to adapt
- To demonstrate genuine integrity
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the patients and caregivers that we exist to serve; and to each other…the members of our LHF family
WHY THE LUNG HEALTH FOUNDATION?
Beyond making a real difference in the lives of the one-in-five Canadians living with lung disease, we offer:
- collaborative and creative environment
- robust benefits package, including an RRSP matching program
- flexible work environment
- we help you grow – both professionally and personally
As a Toronto-based organization with a national scope, we may consider, for externally-focused roles, remote work based on the strength of the candidate and organizational needs. In such cases, the candidate must be also willing to travel as required.
The Lung Health Foundation is committed to providing a barrier-free work environment in concert with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, we will make accommodations available to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process.
The Lung Health Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the province where we operate. At the Lung Health Foundation, we value the insights and innovation that diverse and inclusive teams bring to work.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in this opportunity and have the skills and experience required, we invite you to apply through our careers page at https://lunghealth.ca/careers/ and in your cover letter please include the position title you are applying for. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
$95,000 – $115,000