Reporting to the Vice President, Philanthropy, the Director, Philanthropy will infuse passion, energy, and strategic thinking to drive major philanthropic revenue and achieve The Terry Fox Foundation’s ambitious growth mandate. The ideal candidate is an accomplished major gift fundraiser and relationship builder, with a successful track record securing support at leadership, transformational and principal gift levels, and cultivating lasting, meaningful relationships. The selected candidate will be mission and results driven with experience leading fundraisers to achieve ambitious revenue goals while delivering exceptional stewardship experiences for our supporters. The Director, Philanthropy will have well-honed skills and the ability to thrive in a high-energy, entrepreneurial organization as part of a committed team. The Director will lead by example in collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to strengthen a culture of philanthropy that supports The Terry Fox Foundation’s vision for the future.
• Developing and implementing clearly defined strategies for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and
stewarding major gift donors and prospects.
• Managing a personal portfolio of 100-150 major donors and prospects and driving results to exceed
personal fundraising goals on an annual basis.
• Preparing and closing major gift solicitations of $25,000+.
• Persuasively articulating the mission and goals of The Terry Fox Foundation and translating complex
science and research priorities that inspire philanthropic investment.
• Consistently delivering on exceptional donor experiences and ensuring appropriate donor recognition,
acknowledgment, and stewardship.
• Meeting annual revenue objectives and other key performance metrics.
• Growing and leading a major gifts fundraising team toward ambitious team goals and ongoing
• Working with senior volunteers, donors, and staff to set, meet, and exceed ambitious fundraising
• Working with the Senior Director, Philanthropic Research and Strategy to find new major gift
opportunities and implement effective, creative, and personalized strategies for increased giving.
• With support from Manager, Administration and Donor Services, planning and executing in-person and
virtual cultivation and stewardship events for major donors and prospects throughout the year.
• Serving as a collaborative member of the Philanthropy Team and contributing to overall fundraising
strategy and performance.
• Documenting interactions, participating in prospect management meetings, and utilizing Salesforce to
support relationship management.
• Leading or co-leading Foundation cross-functional projects as required.
Desired Skills, Competencies, and Qualities
• A strong understanding of major gift best practices and proven track record as an exceptional major
• Demonstrated experience in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding high net worth prospects, donors,
and other internal and external stakeholders, with the ability to build relationships with a keen sense of
• The ability to drive innovation and growth, and be a detail-oriented implementer who can mobilize
small teams to translate strategy into results.
• Demonstrated ability handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced
• Outstanding relationship management, interpersonal, and communication skills (written and oral).
• Strong and motivational leadership skills to support a growing major gifts program. Experience building
and managing successful teams and mentoring fundraisers toward increasing levels of success.
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately and with integrity, and build
collaborative relationships and interactions with cross-functional teams.
• A naturally high-energy, self-motivated and creative approach.
• Advanced proficiency in Office 365.
• Experience using donor database management tools such as Raiser’s Edge or Salesforce.
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study.
• CFRE designation an asset.
After 143 days and 5,373 kilometres, Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario. Before
returning to BC for treatment Terry said, “I’m going to do my very best. I’ll fight. I promise I won’t give up.” He
never did. And neither will we. If Terry Fox and his Marathon of Hope have meaning for you and you are
passionate about making a difference in the lives of people facing cancer, The Terry Fox Foundation would like
to hear from you. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume by
Friday August 19th to firstname.lastname@example.org