Director, Stewardship and Gift Planning
Be the Spark! Join our dynamic Fundraising team, where every day is different, and you will always engage with meaningful work!
The Director, Stewardship and Gift Planning leads the overall management of stewardship and gift planning programs for YMCA of Greater Toronto. This position provides related guidance and support to the fundraising team and ensures that efforts are coordinated and support YMCA’s brand.
In this role, you will:
- Develop proposals and manage implementation for YMCA’s gift planning strategy to attract planned gift prospects, and generate revenue.
- Direct the development of marketing and communications materials to enhance understanding of planned giving among donors, prospective donors and professionals.
- Develop and implement prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, recognition and stewardship.
- Establish and manage policies and procedures to track and qualify prospects and record and report all actions, along with current and deferred gifts.
- Act as YMCA’s in-house specialist for gift planning.
- Collaborate with finance, legal and/or lawyers of record to ensure timely administration of all estates, deferred and outright gifts, and advise and manage estates if conflicts or legal challenges arise.
- Work with executors, estate solicitors, lawyers, other professional advisors and donor families to ensure the timely administration of all deferred and outright gifts.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive stewardship program including all aspects of gift acknowledgement, stewardship, impact reporting, recognition, management of information, and privacy compliance.
- Develop stewardship policies and ensure procedures are in place, remain relevant and are fulfilled.
- Proactively support primary staff with the design and execution of annual and multi-year stewardship plans for donors and top prospects.
- Manage annual impact reporting of restricted endowed funds and annual gifts, and acknowledgements from senior leadership.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive naming and recognition program.
- Oversee gift planning and stewardship budgets, approving and monitoring all program expenditures within spending limits.
- Perform other duties as assigned including occasional evening and weekend work.
- University degree in a related field or equivalent experience; professional designation such as Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) an asset
- Minimum seven years of related experience in direct and varied areas of gift planning, donor relations and stewardship
- Track record of successfully building and maintaining donor relationships and soliciting planned gifts
- Proven ability as a strategic and detailed planner
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Excellent understanding of diversity, inclusion and equity including the ability to identify and address barriers in fundraising practices, work effectively with diverse stakeholders, and integrate equity into program design
- Ability to build and maintain solid, effective trust based working relationships with internal and external constituents and to partner effectively with a cross-functional team
- Experience working with volunteers and donors
- Well developed project management, planning and time management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Access, Power Point, Microsoft 365, and advanced Excel), Adobe Acrobat, Raiser’s Edge or equivalent database experience
What you need to succeed:
- Commitment to the YMCA’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Focus on the health, safety and wellbeing of all children, youth, and vulnerable people in YMCA programs including understanding legal and moral obligations related to reporting suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services
- YMCA Competencies: Accountable, Relationship-Builder, Improvement-Orientated, Team Player & Leader, Equity and Wellbeing Promoter