Donor Services Manager
The Donor Services Manager is responsible for a team of Donor Services professionals to ensure the highest standard of support and care to our donors as well as strategically managing and administering all aspects of donor services, including acknowledgements and receipting, monthly giving donation processing, and gift processing. Additionally, the Donor Services Manager will play a key role in training and developing the Donor Services team to ensure a consistent donor experience and donor service.
ABOUT THE SALVATION ARMY CANADA AND BERMUDA TERRITORY
The Salvation Army is an international Christian organization that began its work in Canada in 1882 and has grown to become one of the largest non-governmental direct providers of social services in the country. The Salvation Army gives hope and support to vulnerable people today and every day in 400 communities across Canada and more than 130 countries around the world.
The Salvation Army offers practical assistance for children and families, often tending to the necessities of life, providing shelter for people experiencing homelessness and food for families struggling to make ends meet.
The Salvation Army provides a wide range of services that includes immigrant and refugee settlement programs, anti-human trafficking initiatives, English classes, and parenting programs. People need to know they are not alone in their time of need—that they have an entire Army on their side. Everyone needs an Army and that’s why The Salvation Army exists.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner. Mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship. Building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
Values are who we are and what we continually strive for. They guide all aspects of The Salvation Army in Canada and Bermuda.
HOPE – We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
SERVICE – We reach out to support others without discrimination.
DIGNITY – We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
STEWARDSHIP – We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Our social service activities include (but are not limited to):
- Hunger relief for individuals and families through food banks and feeding programs
- Shelter for people experiencing homelessness and support for those needing housing
- Rehabilitation for those struggling with addiction
- Long-term care and palliative care
- Christmas assistance such as food hampers and toys
- After school programs, camps and school nutrition programs for children and youth
- Life-skills classes such as budgeting, cooking for a family, and anger management
Donor Services Leadership:
- Manage Donor Services staff related and supervise all donation processing.
- Oversee migration of data entry and receipting into Raiser’s Edge NXT.
- Provide orientation and continued training for new Donor Services team members.
- Lead, plan and run regular webinars and meetings with the Donor Services team.
- Oversee monthly giving donation administration.
- Oversee donor record updates with monthly giving attributes, and ensure monthly EFT files are sent to the Finance Department on time.
- Oversee the monthly reconciliation in partnership with the Finance Department
- Communicates assigned objectives and priorities to the Donor Services team.
- Assign and supervise the work of the Donor Services team to ensure service levels are met.
- Manage the recruitment, orientation, day-to-day supervision, performance appraisal, and training of the Donor Services team.
- Manage the donor services response for national and international disaster services.
National Donation Processing Centre and National Call Centre
- Provide support to the Director of Donor Services, as needed, in managing the National Donation Processing Centre and National Call Centre partnership with agency vendor. This includes assisting as needed in managing daily operations, and participating in weekly meetings to ensure service levels meet expectations.
- Collaborate with Finance Department and Data team to ensure proper controls are in place related to donation receipting, and that receipts are issued in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manage the receipting and thank you letter process in Raiser’s Edge NXT in partnership with the data team.
- Manage budget expectations and budget variance reporting.
- Lead contract renewals, search for new suppliers, and in the orientation of new suppliers as required.
- Manage processing of all unrestricted, restricted and disaster gifts ensuring the highest standards are met according to CRA, legal standards and Salvation Army policy.
- Work collaboratively to manage and ensure donor data is captured accurately in Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Manage and implement all standards for donation processing, donor services and ensure the highest standard of donor-centered customer service delivery for the territory.
- Oversee and assist with duplicate receipt requests as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Member of the Donor Engagement team, the Development Department works cooperatively to serve donors and supporters of The Salvation Army.
- Key working relationships with the Finance & IT Departments and Development staff.
- Integral member of Emergency Disaster Services fundraising team – may require working outside of regular office hours.
- Vendor Management relationship with National Call Centre and National Donation Processing Centre
- Reports directly to the Director of Donor Services
- Supervise Donor Services team including job expectations, performance reviews and metrics.
- Manage staff recruitment, orientation and learning for Donor Services team.
Financial and Materials Management:
- Accountable to prepare budget and allocate where resources are spent.
- This role has expenditure authority of about $25,000 and sign off on all expenses in budget.
- Responsible for developing new policies/procedures/business rules for donation processing and customer service delivery.
- Working environment is typically in the office with possible travel (5%).
- May require working after business hours and/or being on call as required for Emergency Disaster fundraising.
- Overtime can be expected for high volume times, disaster response and/or urgent issues needing immediate resolution in divisions.
- May be required to work on call in response to emergency disaster services requirements.
Qualifications and Education requirements:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Business Administration or Fundraising, or equivalent experience.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- 5+ years of experience in donor services or customer service.
- Knowledge of fundraising and receipting requirements.
- Experience in building a team approach to problem solving.
- Experience managing budgets and working with vendors.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands.
- Ability to prepare written reports and presentations.
- Ability and knowledge to ensure compliance with all policies, regulations, and laws.
- Strong focus on customer service, process evaluation and process improvement.
- Ability to lead projects to meet expected outcomes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge NXT, or equivalent CRM.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Successful candidates will be required to provide background check consent and education verification.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume and cover letter to THQ.Careers@salvationarmy.ca. Please include “Competition 24-003” in the subject line of your email. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
Internal Applicants must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.