EDS Volunteer Recruitment Specialist
The EDS Volunteer Recruitment Specialist will be responsible for full cycle volunteer recruitment including creating role postings, sourcing, and screening candidates, implementing recruitment strategies, and participating in on-boarding and process improvement
ABOUT THE SALVATION ARMY
The Salvation Army is an international Christian organization that began its work in Canada in 1882 and has grown to become one of the largest non-governmental direct providers of social services in the country. The Salvation Army gives hope and support to vulnerable people today and every day in 400 communities across Canada and more than 131 countries around the world.
The Salvation Army offers practical assistance for children and families, often tending to the necessities of life, provides shelter for homeless people and rehabilitation for people who have lost control of their lives to an addiction.
As the largest non-governmental direct provider of social services in Canada, The Salvation Army provides unprecedented support to society’s most vulnerable. The Salvation Army provides a wide range of services that includes immigrant and refugee settlement programs, anti-human trafficking initiatives, English conversation circles and parenting programs. People need to know they are not alone in their time of need — that they have an entire Army on their side. Everyone needs an Army and that’s why The Salvation Army exists.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner. Mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship. Building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
Values are who we are and what we continually strive for. They guide all aspects of The Salvation Army in Canada and Bermuda.
HOPE – We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
SERVICE – We reach out to support others without discrimination.
DIGNITY – We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
STEWARDSHIP – We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Our social service activities include (but are not limited to):
- Hunger relief for individuals and families through food banks and feeding programs
- Shelter for people experiencing homelessness and support for those needing housing
- Rehabilitation for those struggling with addiction
- Long-term care and palliative care
- Christmas assistance such as food hampers and toys
- After school programs, camps and school nutrition programs for children and youth
- Life-skills classes such as budgeting, cooking for a family, and anger management
- Evaluate recruitment needs and proactively implement recruitment strategies to address those gaps. Partner with internal staff to strengthen existing relationships and identify and evaluate prospective new volunteer recruitment sources and partnerships
- Conduct risk role assessments for all volunteer roles to help promote safety, determine role-specific screening needs and streamline the application process
- Develop and revise volunteer role descriptions and identify skills, abilities and other qualifications required to fill volunteer role
- Coach, develop and lead volunteer recruitment teams (paid and volunteers), and foster a culture of volunteerism that supports and assists in implementing general, targeted and/or local recruitment strategies. Provide appropriate performance feedback and guidance.
- Lead full-cycle recruitment for a specific portfolio from start to finish of frontline, management, and specialist positions throughout the territory.
- Collaborate with national and local marketing and communications teams to leverage existing or develop new recruitment materials to ensure maximum effectiveness for online and in-person targeted recruitment efforts.
- Network with potential sources of candidates, advertising, screening, supporting the selection and onboarding of high caliber talent and supporting their integration into the organization
- Act as brand ambassador for the organization to attract candidates
- Build and maintains strong networks with internal and external stakeholders
- Participate in relevant volunteer fairs, conferences, workshops, and learning opportunities
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining accurate records of all potential and actual volunteer leads through the appropriate volunteer tracking tool.
- Prepare and maintain regular reports and statistics related to volunteer recruitment as required
- Assists the team with special projects as assigned
- Contributes to the overall organizational culture by driving volunteer onboarding experience
- Assists the EDS team with planning, organizing and directing the TSA EDS emergency response within the territory, as needed
- Helps to coordinate the availability of adequate TSA personnel resources for an EDS response using the Incident Command System (ICS)
- In consultation with relevant stakeholders, develops and maintains territorial recruitment documentation including policies, procedures, and standard forms
- Participates in meetings and committees as required
- Demonstrates diligent stewardship of resources
- Assists the TMEDSTP with training sessions related to volunteer recruitment, as required
- Develops and recommends policy related to recruitment
- Ensures recruitment practices and service delivery are consistent with policies and mission of The Salvation Army in Canada and Bermuda
- Maintains and promotes a positive image of The Salvation Army by providing a high calibre of professional service and by being courteous, cooperative and helpful at all times
- Supports The Salvation Army’s mission and demonstrates the Core Values
- Takes responsibility for own ongoing professional development to remain current with emerging trends within the disaster and emergency and volunteer management field
CRITICAL RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
Governance Boards and Councils
- Works in collaboration with the Volunteer Services team to ensure best practices and excellent service to stakeholders. Partners with EDS teams across the territory in support of engaging volunteers in active service
- Potential volunteers
- Potential residents and their families/friends
- Community volunteer agencies
- Local businesses/companies looking for volunteer opportunities
- Accreditation and Standards representatives and Specialists
MANAGERIAL/Technical Leadership RESPONSIBILITY
- This position relates to THQ EDS department staff and volunteers, divisional emergency disaster services leadership, EDS trainers and territorial communications secretariat personnel
FINANCIAL AND MATERIALS MANAGEMENT:
- Work is typically in a home office environment. Some in-person meetings and in-office work might be required
- The ability to function independently, and frequently under pressure, while managing multiple concurrent projects and deadlines
- Flexibility as participation in response, meetings, conferences and other events may involve long workdays and/or evening/weekend work
- Willingness to support emergency operations, with the possibility of deployment
- During a disaster incident, this position may be deployed to support on-site disaster relief operations. This may include operating in “hardship conditions” where basic amenities, such as power and water, may not be readily available. Working conditions during a disaster operation may be extremely hectic and stressful.
education and experience Qualifications
Education, Qualifications and Certifications
- Completion of post-secondary education
- Completion of Volunteer Management Certificate
- Additional specializations in volunteer recruitment, project management or a related field is an asset
- Specialized diploma or certificate in disaster and emergency management is an asset
- Membership in relevant local and provincial associations for volunteer resource management
- Willingness to participate in key National Disaster Training Program courses (Introduction to Emergency Disaster Services, Fundamentals of Holistic Care, Disaster Food Service and Canteen Operations, Incident Command System) or ability to complete within 6 months.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in volunteer recruitment and marketing including, sourcing, recruitment analytics and onboarding of volunteers. Experience recruiting in the non-governmental agency field is an asset
- Strong knowledge of talent acquisition best practices and protocol
- Knowledge of a volunteer management database or an equivalent volunteer applicant tracking tool
- Proficiency with various recruitment resources such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and post-secondary and association websites
- Working knowledge of all Salvation Army programs and services is an asset
- Respect and understanding of The Salvation Army – its mission, culture, and values
Note: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent crisis and conflict management skills
- Demonstrated ability to quickly build strong, trust-based relationships with senior leaders and key stakeholders
- Demonstrated teamwork and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful, high-paced environments
- Strong organization and administrative skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including PowerPoint
- Champion equitable and inclusive recruitment practices and process at The Salvation Army, implement the processes and communicate them with stakeholders
Successful candidates will be required to provide background check consent and education verification.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume and cover letter to Alice.Johansson@salvationarmy.ca. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
Internal Applicants must advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.