Event Officer – RBC Race for the Kids Toronto – 12 month contract
Title: Event Officer – RBC Race for the Kids Toronto – 12 month contract
Department: Community Engagement
Reports to: Senior Manager, Events
Sunnybrook Foundation is seeking a skilled and experienced fundraising event specialist to lead the Foundation’s signature peer-to-peer fundraising event.
Sunnybrook is a premier academic health sciences centre, fully affiliated with the University of Toronto, with a vision to invent the future of health care. Our mission is to care for our patients and their families when it matters most.
Sunnybrook Foundation exists to advance the mission and vision of Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre by raising awareness and financial contributions to invent the future of health care. Simply put, philanthropic support allows us to accelerate the pace of research and innovation, purchase the most advanced equipment, and attract the best and brightest minds.
Located within Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre on Bayview Avenue in Toronto, the Foundation consists of more than 65 professionals and support staff who work in close partnership with our Hospital colleagues. With ambitious goals ahead, the Foundation is committed to continuing to grow our results and impact as we help Sunnybrook to raise sights, uncover new possibilities, develop talent, and deliver exceptional care.
The RBC Race for the Kids Toronto is the Foundation’s signature event that brings together over 6,500+ participants for a walk/run in support of youth mental health. The RBC Race for the Kids Toronto is one of the largest walk/runs in the GTA that raises more than $2 million annually.
In collaboration with the Director & Senior Manager, the Officer will develop, manage and execute comprehensive fundraising and logistics plans for the RBC Race for the Kids Toronto. This position works collaboratively with cross-functional teams and is responsible for managing costs, handling complex situations and following Sunnybrook Foundation’s policies and processes. The incumbent will be responsible for achieving the strategic goals of the event while providing best-in-class experiences to participants and stakeholders.
Fundraising & logistics management
- Develop annual fundraising and logistics plan for a hybrid (in-person & virtual) event, in partnership with Manager, Events and Sr. Manager Marketing, including providing timely and on-going progress reports
- Develop and manage the peer-to-peer fundraising and registration system
- Work closely with marketing staff to execute marketing strategies and to develop content for event marketing materials and promotions
- Execute the strategic objectives of the event including fundraising tactics to grow revenue
- Develop best-in-class engagement plans for participants, sponsors and industry teams
Sponsorship & stakeholder management
- Develop and implement sponsor and corporate program strategy
- Solicit, manage and activate sponsorships, ensuring that all sponsorship deliverables are met
- Cultivate and steward relationships with key partners, vendors, sponsors and participants
- Work closely with event committees and stakeholders, ensuring timely and effective communication to further deepen engagement
- Provide outstanding service to all stakeholders and ensure timely pre and post event follow-up
- Manage the execution of all project plans including budgets, schedules and related activities to complete project deliverables, as assigned
- Operate within allocated budget, established guidelines and Foundation policy, notifying of variances, adjusting strategies, budgets and priorities as required
- Work collaboratively with each task lead ensuring that budget and critical path are adhered to and that goals and objectives are clearly defined
- Manage the Coordinator, RBC Race for the Kids including volunteer recruitment, training/development, and engagement.
- Provide on-site support at Sunnybrook Foundation events, as required
- Adhere to Foundation guidelines, proactively identifying opportunities to improve processes
Skills and abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with an ability to inspire audiences through conversations and presentations (including virtual and in-person)
- Knowledge of trends and emerging practices in fundraising and peer to peer events
- Comfortable leading peers and project managing deliverables across multiple teams
- Proven ability to work under pressure, handling competing deadlines and changes to project scope
- Ability to make decisions in ambiguous situations, exercise good judgment based on information and analysis in a fast pace, dynamic and deadline driven environment in an organized and professional manner
- Embraces planning, attention to detail and managing multiple priorities
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills with ability to cultivate effective professional networks and relationships with community individuals, groups and businesses
- Ability to work in teams or independently with minimal administrative support
- Minimum college and / or university degree in event or fundraising management or an equivalent combination of skills and experience
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in a not-for-profit environment executing complex large events and/or and peer to peer fundraising events
- Experience developing and executing fundraising and sponsorship strategies with goals of over $1 million
- Experience working with volunteer committees, understanding the importance of effective volunteer relations and communication
- Advanced project management experience
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, Funraisin, Luminate TeamRaiser and/or other event fundraising platform
- Availability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as required.
WHAT WE OFFER
- An exciting opportunity to be part of a leading not-for-profit
- Ability to work remotely and/or from a home office location as appropriate
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a cover letter and a current resume listing your qualifications and experience, by December 12, 2022 to foundationHR@sunnybrook.ca.
Please quote “Event Officer, RBC Race for the Kids Toronto,” in the subject line of your e-mail. We thank all applicants in advance. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (‘AODA’). If you require accommodations for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Sunnybrook Foundation is strongly committed to equity, diversity and inclusion within its community and encourages all applicants including but not limited to: Indigenous, Black and other racialized persons, all religions, cultures, and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons and persons of any gender identity and sexual orientation, and everyone who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Please be advised that in order to be eligible for employment at Sunnybrook, all new hires must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine or combination of COVID-19 vaccines approved by Health Canada (e.g., two doses of a two-dose vaccine series, or one dose of a single-dose vaccine series); AND have received the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days ago. Medical exemptions or any other kind of requested exemption based upon the Hospital’s obligations pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis.