Michael Garron Hospital provides high-quality, patient-centred healthcare services to families along the continuum of care, from welcoming a new life to facing end-of-life. Serving 400,000 people in East Toronto, we deliver first-rate care on a first-name basis—90 per cent of the healthcare people need, at a level of excellence rivaling anywhere else in the city. We are also developing tomorrow’s healthcare leaders, with the largest community and family medicine teaching program affiliated with the University of Toronto. MGH is a proud member of East Toronto Health Partners, the Ontario Health Team serving East Toronto.
Michael Garron Hospital’s catchment area is unique in Toronto and one of the most diverse in Canada. Forty percent of the people we care for are new Canadians. 20 per cent of our catchment is low income and we are home to the highest proportion of refugees in the city of Toronto. More seniors live alone here than anywhere else in the city. Poverty and isolation—two of the most critical social determinants of health— disproportionately affect people in our neighbourhoods.
In 2018, Michael Garron Hospital Foundation (MGHF) entered the public phase of the Heart of the East Campaign, our $100-million fundraising effort in support of the hospital’s historic $560-million redevelopment. The Heart of the East will transform our campus, including construction of the new, eight-storey Ken and Marilyn Thomson Patient Care Centre, and the dramatic redevelopment of our existing facility.
To learn more, visit mghf.ca.
Currently we have an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to advance their career as our Events Officer.
With an events portfolio valued at up to $2.6 million annually, Michael Garron Hospital Foundation’s signature events portfolio is a key component of the Foundation’s success, attracting support from corporate sponsors, philanthropic individuals, and community leaders.
Working under the direction of the Vice President, Annual, Events and Operations, the Events Officer is responsible for building the Foundation’s presence in our community by executing memorable, high-engagement events that drive revenue in support of our strategic priorities, and expand our donor base through broader engagement.
A key member of a three-person events team, the successful candidate will:
- Act as the project lead for two to three signature event portfolios, overseeing budgeting, fundraising, logistics, planning, execution and post-event analysis
- Act as a primary liaison with two senior volunteer committees
- Support colleagues in the execution of supporting events in the portfolio.
The Events Officer will act as the primary talent management, venue, budget and logistical lead for our Laughter is the Best Medicine comedy gala, our new Impact Council young professionals event property and play a key role in our other events, including our Golf Classic. The incumbent will have a key focus on revenue generation through the development and execution of comprehensive sponsorship tactics including identifying prospects, working with colleagues cross-functionally on cultivating and soliciting sponsors and managing sponsor relationships.
With support from across the Foundation, the successful candidate will act as the overall project lead, developing unique experiences to acquire donors and deepen donor engagement, and make evidence-based recommendations to improve future events. A key component of this role will be acting as a primary liaison with two senior volunteer committees, overseeing meetings, individually supporting members and working with event chairs on event direction.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Sponsorship & fundraising
- Develop effective sponsorship packages, presentations and customized proposals to secure sponsorship and large gift-in-kind donations for events
- With support from the Manager, Research, identify prospective sponsors and participants
- Develop comprehensive sponsorship tactics to support partnership events
- Achieve annual revenue targets for each event by maximizing event participation, gift-in-kind donations and sponsorship opportunities
- Provide timely customer service and support to sponsors, and oversee the implementation of sponsor fulfillment and recognition
Logistics & committee management
- Establish, monitor and evaluate event critical paths
- Prepare proposals, briefing notes and other documents in support of the cultivation and solicitation of event donors and prospects
- Build relationships with committee members, provide sales support, and gather feedback as required for event development and implementation
- Provide excellence in volunteer management and support ensuring all event volunteers are actively engaged
- Develop, monitor and analyze budgets and financial reports
- Continually assess event success and results and work to develop new initiatives that will attract target audiences to meet strategic initiatives
- Monitor and evaluate trends and developments in the non-profit and event industries to identify new program opportunities and enhancements to grow revenue and participation
- Work with the Communications team on event marketing plans, including print and digital materials, to ensure consistency and accuracy of message
- Work with the Stewardship team to ensure appropriate stewardship for all donors and attendees, in accordance the Foundation’s overall Stewardship plan
- Ensure that systems and processes are in place to provide superior customer service to both internal and external stakeholders including participants/attendees, sponsors, suppliers, volunteers and staff
Requisite skills and attributes
- Must be a self-starter who is highly organized with strong multi-tasking skills, able to manage a wide variety of accountabilities all while delivering projects on time and on budget
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills, effective at building relationships and able to work well with volunteers, donors and key Foundation and Hospital stakeholders at all of levels
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service and apply sound judgment when working with donors and volunteers
- Demonstrated creativity, strong analytical and problem-solving skills, able to identify and act on new opportunities, as well as anticipate challenges and resolve issues as they arise
- Highly adaptable and flexible, able to prioritize and work comfortably in a fast-paced, changing environment, as part of a small-but-nimble team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Comprehensive understanding of budget management
- Familiarity with the East Toronto community and/or Michael Garron Hospital an asset
- Six or more years fundraising event experience in the not-for-profit sector with demonstrated success in events management and sponsorship
- Experience working with senior volunteers
- High level of experience and comfort working in Raiser’s Edge to manage the prospect pipeline
- Experience working in hospital environment and/or health-related charity an asset
- Related education an asset
- Experience using AKA Raisin online fundraising software an asset
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement unless you have an exemption pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
We offer an industry leading pension plan (HOOPP), a comprehensive group health and dental benefits package, fitness classes and gym membership, an employee discount program, and tuition assistance. Our target salary range is $62,000 – $72,000 annually with an additional performance-based bonus of up to 6%.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by April 8, 2022 to email@example.com Please note that submissions will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and we will be interviewing as we receive resumes. We thank all applicants for their interest; we will contact only those applicants selected for consideration.