EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT AND OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR
Michael Garron Hospital provides high-quality, patient-centred healthcare services to families along the continuum of care, from welcoming a new life to facing end-of-life. Serving 400,000 people in East Toronto, we deliver first-rate care on a first-name basis—90 per cent of the healthcare people need, at a level of excellence rivaling anywhere else in the city. We are also developing tomorrow’s healthcare leaders, with the largest community and family medicine teaching program affiliated with the University of Toronto. MGH is a proud member of East Toronto Health Partners, the Ontario Health Team serving East Toronto.
Michael Garron Hospital’s catchment area is unique in Toronto and one of the most diverse in Canada. Forty percent of the people we care for are new Canadians. One fifth of our catchment is low income and we are home to the highest proportion of refugees in the city of Toronto. More seniors live alone here than anywhere else in the city. Poverty and isolation—two of the most critical social determinants of health— disproportionately affect people in our neighbourhoods.
In 2018, Michael Garron Hospital Foundation (MGHF) entered the public phase of the Heart of the East Campaign, our $100-million fundraising effort in support of the hospital’s historic $560-million redevelopment. The Heart of the East will transform our campus, including construction of the new, eight-storey Ken and Marilyn Thomson Patient Care Centre, opening in January 2023, and the dramatic redevelopment of our existing facility.
To learn more, visit mghf.ca.
Currently we have an exciting opportunity for an individual who wants to advance their career as our Executive Assistant & Office Administrator.
A key member of our 19-person team, the Executive Assistant & Office Administrator will provide administrative assistance to the President, Foundation, including Board support as well as oversee the day-to-day operations of the Foundation office. The ideal candidate for this role is highly organized, confidential, detail oriented, and demonstrates an ability to effectively juggle multiple projects simultaneously. The position also requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, computer and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively in a small office setting and with high level donors and volunteers.
This position reports to the President, Foundation but will have accountability to the Vice-President, Events, Annual and Operations as it pertains to office operations.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Executive Assistant to the President
- Coordinate and schedule meetings and events, including set-up and follow-up as required
- Proactively manage calendar and contacts
- Utilize the donor database (Raiser’s Edge) to document meetings and outcomes on behalf of the President
- Prepare presentations in consultation with President for prospect and donor meetings
- Reconcile monthly Visa statements
- Occasional administrative support to the Vice President, Annual, Events & Operations and the Vice President, Major Gifts & Planned Giving
Board & Volunteer Relations
- Schedules, compiles reports, builds agendas and prepares and distributes packages for four annual Board of Director meetings
- Supports the work of the Executive, Governance and Finance & Audit Committees
- Manages meeting logistics, including AV and catering
- Ensures governance compliance as set forth in the Board bylaws
- Takes, drafts and distributes minutes of Board and committee meetings
- Oversees orientation for new Board members including development of presentation
- Ensures Board membership records are accurate and up-to-date including term renewals confirmations and transition to honorary board
Reception & Office Operations
- Represents the Foundation to the public. Greets visitors and answers telephone calls from a wide variety of stakeholders, monitors main telephone line
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with departments within the organization
- Interprets and applies specific operating policies and procedures in organizing, monitoring and performing the administrative activities of the Foundation office
- Manages the general administration budget and petty cash, taxi chits and parking passes
- Manages biweekly payroll, sick time and vacation reporting to Human Resources
- Administers office moves, and working with IT, telephones and computer software upgrades
- Communicates policies and procedures correctly and with proper application
- Maintains monthly calendar of department activities and facilitates monthly department meeting, team building activities, lunch and learns, and end of year holiday luncheon
- Acts as primary back-up for Database Administrator for gift processing
- Delivers orientation for new team members
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the overall objectives of the Foundation. When necessary, works flexible hours
- A minimum of five years’ experience in an administrative support role
- College diploma in a related field
- Experience working in a not for profit or healthcare environment and general knowledge of fundraising
- Experience interacting with the public in a high-volume setting
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Raiser’s Edge experience a strong asset
- Superior organizational, planning and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and dependability
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills with ability to foster positive team culture
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
PREFERRED ATTRIBUTES & ABILITIES
- The ideal person for this role will be creative, energetic and have a great sense of humour
- High degree of professionalism and integrity, including a demonstrated commitment to respecting the confidentiality of information
- Poised and able to communicate effectively with Boards, Executives and external contacts
- Takes initiative and is able to plan ahead, anticipate needs, interpret and use sound judgement
- Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is essential
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically and work tactically
- Ability to work effectively within a fast-paced environment
- Strong team-orientation
- Knowledge of the east Toronto community an asset
– All employees of Michael Garron Hospital (MGH), a division of Toronto East Health Network TEHN) [formerly Toronto East General Hospital (TEGH)]agree to work within the legislated practices of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of Ontario.
– All employees of MGH are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by MGH.
– All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves and their co-workers through adherence to MGH’s policies and practices.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement unless you have an exemption pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Michael Garron Hospital fosters an inclusive and diverse work environment. We are committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process. Should you require an accommodation, please let us know how we can work with you to meet your needs.
We offer an industry leading pension plan (HOOPP), a comprehensive group health and dental benefits package, fitness classes and gym membership, an employee discount program, and tuition assistance.
Our target salary range is $60,000 – $85,000 annually with an additional performance-based bonus of up to 6%.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by November 7, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org . We will be reviewing packages as they are received, therefore early applications are encouraged. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.