Executive Assistant & Board Liaison
Title: Executive Assistant & Board Liaison
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Hybrid, with 2-3 days in office at the Toronto Reference Library (789 Yonge Street)
Application Deadline: August 5, 2022
Reporting to the CEO, the Executive Assistant & Board Liaison is the first point of contact for all Foundation relationships, making it a visible and critical ambassador role for the Foundation. The Executive Assistant will work closely with the CEO and the senior management team to ensure the efficient operations and growth of the Foundation. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience. This role is based at the Toronto Reference Library at Yonge & Bloor in downtown Toronto, where the Foundation office is located. Currently, TPL Foundation staff are working in a hybrid work environment with 2-3 days in the office and the rest from home.
About the Toronto Public Library Foundation:
TPLF was established in 1997 as a charity to support the world’s busiest public library system – Toronto Public Library. Funds raised by the Foundation support life-changing programs, services, spaces and collections at the Library’s 100 branches and on TPL.ca. Since its inception, the Foundation has raised over $95 million for TPL, thanks to the generosity of donors, partners and volunteers. To learn more about the Toronto Public Library Foundation, visit tplfoundation.ca. To learn more about the Toronto Public Library, visit tpl.ca.
OFFICE AND ADMINISTRATIVE (65%)
- Provides Executive support to the CEO including: proactively managing the CEO’s calendar, prioritizing activities, identifying conflicts, processing invoices, etc. Supports with key meetings, including planning, outreach, logistics, note-taking, follow up, as necessary.
- Conducts research and executes on strategic initiatives.
- Assists in the preparation of reports and presentation material, and composes routine correspondence
- Calendar support for the Foundation’s senior leadership team
- Under the direction of the CEO, reviews and renews any annual Foundation agreements
- Coordinates the daily administrative operation of the Foundation, including establishing and maintaining effective office routines and records.
- Surveys department needs and order supplies as required. Ensures photocopier, fax machine and printers are in proper working order. Maintains petty cash for the office.
- Serves as primary point of contact to Foundation office for senior volunteers and TPL staff, initiating action where appropriate
- Helps maintain CEO’s fundraising prospect pipeline and enters notes from meetings into fundraising database
- Organizes and maintains effective record-keeping systems containing confidential information
- Other related duties as assigned
HUMAN RESOURCES AND INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS (10%)
- Tracks vacation and sick days for Foundation staff
- Supports communications from CEO and leadership to Toronto Public Library and Foundation staff and board
- Coordinates team-building activities and provides support for staff professional development
- Assists with onboarding and off-boarding of Foundation staff, volunteers and interns
BOARD LIAISON (25%)
- Manages Board meetings, including preparing agendas, Board meeting and committee document packages, arranging meeting space, coordinating catering and tech, records board meeting minutes and other board governance tasks as assigned
- Maintains up-to-date governance-related materials
- Supports with Board member on-boarding and off-boarding
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members
Skills & qualifications:
- 5+ years experience in providing executive support to C-Level Executives, Boards and Committees preferably in a high-volume non-profit organization
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computer software, specifically Microsoft Office, including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation packages
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with senior members of staff, volunteer groups, members of the public and all levels of staff
- Ability to conduct research and prepare reports, correspondence and presentation material
- Proven ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion when dealing with confidential matters
- Ability to work cooperatively as a member of a small team
- Willingness to work some flexible hours
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, showing initiative, attention to detail and meeting deadlines
- Experience in fundraising or marketing environment considered an asset
- Knowledge of fundraising software Raiser’s Edge is an asset
- Willingness to work in person at the Toronto Reference Library, as requested. Currently, most staff are working from the office two days a week
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail-oriented; impressive project management
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal
- Team player and comfortable rolling up their sleeves to get the job done
- Critical thinker who provides solutions working solo or with cross-functional teams
- Professional, curious, sense of humor, high energy level, positive attitude and solutions-oriented
- Comfortable with high-net wealth individuals
- Passionate about the Library and its future
Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion:
TPLF invites applications from all qualified individuals. The TPL Foundation is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from visible minorities, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of the recruitment and selection process.
Mandatory vaccination policy:
COVID-19 vaccines are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical or other protected ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code. TPLF’s statement regarding the policy is on our website tplfoundation.ca.
- Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls please) by August 5, 2022
- Please include: YOUR NAME – EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT in subject line
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
Thank you for your interest in the Toronto Public Library Foundation.