The Erie Shores Health Foundation (ESHF) is seeking a growth-minded, relationship-focused Executive Director to drive philanthropic support, build team capacity, and provide administrative oversight for the Foundation. Both leader and doer, the Executive Director will bring vision and creativity combined with an action orientation and strong follow through in order to achieve the Foundation’s goals.
Reporting to the Foundation Board of Directors and working collaboratively with both the hospital and hospice leadership and staff, the Executive Director will develop the overall fundraising strategy and lead its implementation, aligned with the aspirations and needs of each partner organization.
A fundraising generalist who brings experience leading diverse revenue streams, the Executive Director will invest in furthering the culture of philanthropy; refining and building systems, tools, and processes to support a strong culture of accountability; and providing mentorship, guidance, and inspiration to the growing and evolving staff team.
With proven skills in cultivating and securing significant gifts, the new incumbent will build upon relationships with the hospital and hospice’s proud and loyal supporters while developing new networks of support across the community and region as the Foundation prepares for a significant campaign, enabling us to move further along on the path to excellence.
This is a unique opportunity to lead a growing organization and be at the forefront of Erie Shores HealthCare as it embarks on a transformational journey to become one of the top community hospitals in the province. At a time when unprecedented demands are being placed on our hospital, hospice, and the provincial health system, our community is thinking big and envisioning a whole new future.
ABOUT ERIE SHORES HEALTH FOUNDATION
For over 30 years, through the power of philanthropy, sponsorship and volunteerism, Erie Shores Health Foundation (ESHF) has advanced and supported the provision of compassionate and quality healthcare in Leamington and across Essex County.
Today we raise funds in support of both Erie Shores HealthCare and the Hospice of Windsor and Essex County – Erie Shores Campus. With the strength of our community partnerships, donations support the acquisition of medical equipment, technology and capital improvements for our Hospital and the provision of care for our Hospice patients, close to home.
Led by the Executive Director and supported by a growing staff team, current fundraising programs include signature and 3rd party events, direct response, in memoriam, corporate and community partnerships, and individual giving.
Following a Strategic Review led by KCI, key areas of strength and development were identified. The Foundation is in a strong position of understanding and has made a commitment to and investment in building capacity in order to achieve desired growth.
Mission: Through the generosity of our community, raise funds to support Erie Shores HealthCare and The Hospice Erie Shores Campus to ensure the highest quality health care in Essex County.
Vision: Leading change. Empowering our donors. Caring for our community.
Values: Integrity, Compassion, Collaboration, Innovation.
- Celebrate our Donors and Volunteers
- Inspire Giving
- Embody Innovation & Creativity
- Maximize Operational Excellence
- Champion a culture of Gratitude
ABOUT ERIE SHORES HEALTHCARE
Erie Shores HealthCare is committed to providing exceptional patient care and services to the over 150,000 people across our Essex County catchment area. Our facility features 58 inpatient beds and comprehensive programs to meet the healthcare needs of our community. In addition, our hospital includes a 24/7 Emergency Department, Diagnostic Imaging, Ambulatory Care, General Surgery, Maternal Newborn Services, Orthopedics, and Internal Medicine services.
Our team of highly skilled and dedicated healthcare professionals, including doctors, nurses, nursing assistants, technicians, and support workers, provide top-notch care to over 31,000 patients annually. Our team also administers 96,000 diagnostic tests annually, ensuring accurate and timely diagnoses for our patients.
In addition, Erie Shores HealthCare has a dedicated focus on education and research through partnerships with the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry and the WE-SPARK Health Institute research collaborative.
We take pride in our commitment to excellence, which is why we are thrilled to have been awarded the prestigious Exemplary Standing designation from Accreditation Canada in 2022. We continue to grow and adapt to the needs of the communities we serve.
ABOUT HOSPICE OF WINDSOR & ESSEX COUNTY – ERIE SHORES CAMPUS
The Hospice of Windsor and Essex County – Erie Shores Campus is the first palliative hospice village in North America. The Hospice is an 11-bed facility that hosts families and their loved ones in Essex County dealing with palliative circumstances. Our Hospice addresses the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual needs of patients and their families, and are provided at no cost.
- Erie Shores Health Foundation
- Erie Shores HealthCare
- Hospice of Windsor and Essex County – Erie Shores Campus
- Mission, Vision and Values
- Erie Shores Health Foundation Strategic Plan
- Erie Shores HealthCare Strategic Plan 2021-2023
- Erie Shores HealthCare Annual Report 2021-2022
- Erie Shores Health Foundation – News
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Leadership & Governance
- Work collaboratively with the Board, Foundation staff, hospital and hospice partners to drive the overall Foundation strategy and planning in support of a culture of growth and success.
- Collaborate with the Foundation Board to develop/refresh the strategic plan, ensuring input from key internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop, deliver, and monitor annual operational plans that implement strategies and tactics that position the Foundation for growth in alignment with strategic objectives.
- Build a collaborative, mutually beneficial relationship with the CEO of Erie Shores HealthCare and Executive Director of the Hospice of Windsor and Essex County that supports a unified approach to patient-centred fundraising and aligns with the donor bill of rights.
- Engage regularly with relevant clinical and other members of the hospital and hospice’s Senior Leadership Teams to ensure the Foundation has a solid understanding of current and future hospital and hospice needs and that those teams are oriented and engaged with any requirements related to the cultivation, recognition and stewardship of major donors, and other relevant activities and initiatives of the Foundation.
- Strengthen Foundation policies, processes, and staffing structure to increase overall efficiency and accountability ensuring effective overall management, human resources, and program development.
- Act as the main representative and spokesperson for ESHF within the hospital and hospice, externally in the community, with media, at events etc., building and maintaining relationships that support greater philanthropic support for the Foundation.
- Provide reports at scheduled Board meetings and other materials to support Board oversight in a timely manner, attending meetings and supporting all activities in an ex-officio role.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of internal and external risk factors, which may affect annual objectives.
Fundraising, Donor Relations & Communications
- Lead the Foundation team to meet and exceed fundraising goals along with other objectives as outlined in the annual plan. Manage business plans and strategies related to campaigns undertaken by ESHF.
- Build a culture of philanthropy in partnership with Foundation staff as well as with the Hospital and Hospice that supports a greater understanding of and support for the importance of adopting best practices in fundraising and donor relations to raise funds within a highly competitive philanthropic landscape.
- Work with staff to develop new opportunities to give to the Foundation by expanding the donor audience through the creation of initiatives and programs that target potential donors from various demographics.
- Directly manage a personal portfolio of top-tier prospects and donors including individuals and foundations, and strategic partnerships with corporations and other organizations.
- Develop strategy and action-oriented plans to continue to build successful Major Gifts and Planned Giving programs with robust pipelines of major gift donors.
- Facilitate the work of the volunteer-led Campaign Cabinet, including identification and recruitment of Campaign leadership, prospect identification, solicitation and stewardship.
- Develop consistent and creative cultivation, recognition and stewardship policies and practices, in collaboration with Foundation staff and the Hospital and Hospice.
- Strengthen Foundation communication channels (website, social) and other activities and technology in conjunction with the creation of an updated marketing and communication plan.
- Ensures alignment of communications messaging with primary partners, the Hospital and Hospice.
- Ensure the effective recruitment, development, performance, and support of Foundation staff and volunteers to achieve the Foundation’s vision and financial goals; ensuring that the Foundation is optimally organized and staffed.
- Manage, coach and mentor the staff team toward meeting Foundation goals and objectives.
- Establish individual and team goals and performance targets with measurable outcomes that are assessed on a regular basis.
- Ensure appropriate personnel policies and procedures are developed and maintained.
- Integrate principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion into team and volunteer management and fundraising activities.
- Assist in the recruitment, orientation and ongoing support of the Board and other senior volunteers, supporting their ability to complete Foundation-related activities that ensure the fundraising needs of ESHF.
Finance and Operations
- Manage and direct the operations of the Foundation, ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensure effective fiscal management and control systems for the Foundation including the development and monitoring of comprehensive annual budgets, regular reporting, and facilitating annual audits with support from the donations database Coordinator and the Board Finance Committee chair.
- Administer funds according to donor directions and the budget as approved by the Board, including monitoring, and approving all major expenditures, service contracts, etc.
- Act as a liaison between donors and the Hospital and Hospice, ensuring that donations are directed to the areas of greatest need and applied as requested by the donor.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive leadership experience in a charity or non-profit with a focus on fundraising; alternatively, a background in sales and/or marketing ideally in a non-profit environment.
- Strategic thinker with a proven ability to operationalize strategic objectives into successful annual business plans.
- Demonstrated success contributing to fundraising programs and projects such as major gift fundraising, capital campaigns, planned giving and annual campaigns.
- Major gift fundraising success, including direct involvement in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors.
- Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to engage, motivate and unify individuals and groups with diverse backgrounds in a manner that increases philanthropic support.
- Previous experience working with a Board of Directors and engaging Board members and/or other leadership volunteers in fundraising activities.
- Experience promoting and meeting growth targets for programs and/or initiatives.
- Proven track record leading successful teams with the ability to lead, coach and develop staff to achieve results.
- Financial acumen, including experience managing budgets and demonstrating fiscal accountability.
- Strong understanding of trends in the philanthropic sector with the ability to use and share this knowledge in a manner that inspires innovation and advances day-to-day and longer-term goals and activities.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to engage diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with hospital and hospice leadership and colleagues, or their equivalent in a non-healthcare environment.
- Demonstrated success in building, leading and inspiring high-functioning teams.
- Experience developing effective organizational systems and processes.
- Skilled at managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Strong negotiation, problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills.
- Desire to live and immerse themselves in the community, taking the time to learn its nuances and engage with its residents.
- Personal commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to attend community events as a representative of foundation, hospital and hospice; ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Knowledge of tools and technology to support fundraising success and overall efficiency, including donor management and/or CRM database. Experience with Raiser’s Edge/Blackbaud NXT an asset.
- A demonstrated passion for healthcare philanthropy with experience working in a healthcare environment is considered an asset.
- Post Secondary Degree/Diploma in a relevant discipline preferred. An equivalent combination of education and related work experience will be considered.
- A valid driver’s license with regular access to a vehicle.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Erie Shores Health Foundation. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Vice President, KCI Search + Talent by email at ESHF@kcitalent.com.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by May 8, 2023.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
The salary range for this position is $120,000 – $160,000 including HOOPP, generous vacation, comprehensive health benefits, and relocation support.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement of the position.