Position: Executive Director
Visual Arts Mississauga (VAM) at Riverwood – Where Mississauga Creates!
VAM is a premier visual arts centre and gallery in central Mississauga. The facility, owned by the City of Mississauga and built exclusively for VAM is located in the heart of urban Mississauga in beautiful Riverwood, a 60-hectare ( 150 Acre) property of forest, riverbank and meadow nestled along the banks of the historic Credit River. The building was designed by architect Brian Brownlie and opened in 2003, the one-story Art Centre features Frank Lloyd Wright inspired architecture utilizing slate and cedar on the exterior and floor to ceiling windows in its studio classrooms. The property was a local Iroquois hunting ground in the 1400s; housed early farmsteads in the 1800s and became a private country estate in the early 1900s.
The Board of Visual Arts Mississauga is seeking an inspired and inspiring Executive Director to lead an established team in assuring the VAM continues to flourish and shine as a pillar arts organization in Mississauga. Mississauga residents preferred.
- Progressive leadership experience in a non-profit organization of similar size and scope, leading and managing teams; ideally, experience in projects tied to the arts.
- Strong financial acumen: experience in budgetary responsibility including setting and adhering to a budget while possessing the ability to understand financial reports at a working level.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and grant writing.
- Experience working with, or on, a Governing Board.
- Comfortable in leading e-media channels.
- Success with remote training technology.
- Experience in visual arts (an asset)
Skills, Attributes and Values:
- Strong presentation skills and communicator written and orally.
- Has a track record or reputation for a collegial style and has garnered the respect of colleagues. Fosters employee engagement.
- Values diversity: Able to pull divergent views and perspectives together, building on common ground while fostering creativity.
- Respectful of the organization’s current success while demonstrating foresight, perceiving and seeking opportunities for the future.
- Able to balance vision with pragmatism and recognize financial realities.
- Able to engage others and lead through change.
- A balanced strategic thinker – sees the big picture.
- Maintains and strengthens relationships with stakeholders (city staff, city politicians; members; the Board; Instructors, staff, volunteers, sponsors and other community organizations, both public and private sector)
- Demonstrates a passion for the arts.
- Minimum of one relevant post-secondary degree such as arts, communications, finance or business and an equivalent experience.
Salary and Benefit Information
- $75,000 to $85,000, 4 days a week on site. Salary to commensurate with experience and education
- Plus a benefits and vacation package
Please email your Cover Letter and Resume to email address:email@example.com with attention to Lorraine Crow and Mavis Mak, Board Development Committee by May 14, 2023.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we’d be pleased to connect with them.