Executive Director, Advancement
About Toronto Metropolitan
At the intersection of mind and action, Toronto Metropolitan University is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
In April 2022, the university announced our new name of Toronto Metropolitan University, which will be implemented in a phased approach. Learn more about our next chapter.
About University Advancement
University Advancement (UA) is a comprehensive development and alumni relations enterprise serving the priorities of TMU’s academic plan. Our mission is to build lifelong relationships, engaging alumni and friends, faculty and staff, and corporations and foundations, and matching their interests with the needs and priorities of the university. University Advancement at TMU is a dedicated team of professionals, committed to collaboration, diversity, and integrity, and to being trustworthy stewards of our donors’ investments.
UA especially welcomes applications from individuals who self identify as women, Black, Indigenous or a racialized person, who will be integral towards serving our highly diverse student population. If you identify in one of the former groups, we encourage you to self-identify in your cover letter. This is truly an exciting time to join the University as we embark on our academic plan guided by the values of equity, diversity and inclusion and with a firm belief that diversity is our strength. We are building a culture of recognizing and celebrating diversity and welcome you to join us.
The Executive Director, Advancement will collaborate with Faculty of Science leadership to identify immediate and long-term funding priorities. The successful candidate will:
Develop and execute strategies to cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of major, principal and transformational gift prospects.
Provide strategic counsel and guidance to the Dean of Science and other senior leaders on most effective ways to promote the Faculty’s vision and impact in ways that will support and strengthen engagement and fundraising.
·Leads and coordinates the strategic direction, efficiency and effectiveness of the fundraising team within the Faculty to maximize financial return.
The Executive Director of Advancement is responsible for the development and execution of advancement plans and strategies to accomplish divisional fundraising and alumni engagement goals, as well as related personal and team results.
The Executive Director of Advancement will possess superior experience in all stages of the donor-engagement cycle, and be strategic in moving donors from one stage to the next. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of securing significant philanthropic support, and engaging internal and external stakeholders in the mission, vision and activities of their organization. They will possess strong leadership and coaching skills, and a commitment to building a high-performance team of advancement professionals.
The incumbent will also demonstrate outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, an ability to work collaboratively across divisions and functions, and an ambition for continuous improvement. The Executive Director of Advancement will be guided by professional ethics, and represent the university and its supporters with integrity.
1. Develop, lead, and implement multi-year plans and strategies to achieve transformational growth for the Faculty’s overall fundraising and engagement, advancing the Faculty’s academic and programmatic priorities.
2. Provide exemplary leadership to a team of advancement professionals, fostering a culture of inclusivity, civility and impact.
3. Work closely with Faculty leadership to translate academic priorities into compelling donor-facing fundraising opportunities.
4. Cultivate and engage alumni, friends, and partners from local, national and international constituencies.
Please provide a cover letter and resume describing how you meet the following required qualifications:
EDUCATION: Completion of a post-secondary degree; Master’s preferred;
A minimum of ten (10) or more years of direct fundraising experience and a proven track record of progressive advancement responsibility and leadership in a large complex organization, preferably a non-profit and/or educational environment;
Proven track record of success in cultivating high net worth individuals, and successfully securing significant philanthropic support that advance organizational priorities;
Solid understanding of advancement communications, including proposal development process, impact reporting and more.
Experience working within fundraising campaign structure, and in large-scale stewardship;
Demonstrated management skills and agility directing the work of staff and volunteers.
Skills and experience:
- Excellent relationship building skills: engaging personal style, willingness to listen and learn, and the ability to elicit (and merit) trust;
- Exceptional interpersonal, social and persuasive skills; high level of comfort interacting with academic community and philanthropic leaders;
- Excellent attention to detail, deadlines and budgets, and superb organizational skills, including planning, forecasting, monitoring and reorienting to goals.
- Exceptional knowledge of donor motivation and recognition strategies,
- Strong communication (oral, written) and presentation skills;
- Leadership and management skills;
- Comfort with database navigation, and demonstrated ability to develop strategies and plans based on data analysis.
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office suite; Google tools, including Google Meet, Zoom, spreadsheet and database applications, social media);
- Creativity and imagination;
- Demonstrated experience with recruitment, management, motivation and training of staff and volunteers;
- Demonstrated level of initiative, maturity, tact and diplomacy; excellent judgment and discretion.
- Cultural sensitivity and capacity to work collaboratively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, alumni, students, volunteers, partners, friends and donors.
Position Number(s): 20002737
Reports To: Assistant Vice President, Advancement, dotted line to Dean of Science
Vacancy Type: TERM
Employee Group: MAC
Work Location Hybrid (in-person and remote)
Start Date ASAP
End Date 3 years from start date
Hours of Work 36.25
Grade and Step D72
Min: $128,176; Job Rate: $166,463
As part of the selection process, candidates may be required to complete an occupational assessment.
Applications will only be accepted online through Toronto Metropolitan University’s careersite.
Toronto Metropolitan University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and aims to ensure that independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity are embedded in all aspects of the university culture.
We will provide an accessible experience for applicants, students, employees, and members of the Toronto Metropolitan University community. We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.