Executive Director, Philanthropy
A leader in e-mental health solutions here and around the world, Kids Help Phone is Canada’s only national, 24/7 free and bilingual e-mental health service for young people and the trusted space for all youth to express their fear, worry, anger, confusion and despair – to let it all out.
Kids Help Phone has an exceptional opportunity for a passionate, visionary leader with strong fund development and strategic management skills to inspire individual and foundation major gift philanthropy in support of the historic $300 million Feel Out Loud campaign. This executive position is critical to the success of the campaign and the long-term financial success of the organization. By establishing and maintaining a robust major giving (philanthropy) program, the Executive Director, Philanthropy will lead a portfolio that: a) deeply engages donors, yielding long-term and high-level commitments and retention; b) raises incremental funding by building momentum and referrals; and c) help Kids Help Phone to build and maintain our rightful place as the nationally-leading, technology and innovation charity with a razor-sharp focus on youth mental health.
Success in this role requires a strategic, unwavering focus on donor relationships while reinforcing team accountability for solicitation activity, prospect pipeline management and performance goals. The Executive Director, Philanthropy will lead-by-example, with their own prospect portfolio with annual production and cash goals – being one of the highest fundraisers at Kids Help Phone – demonstrating leadership and successful closings (annually seven to eight figures – targets to be mutually set).
The Executive Director will also require symmetry, integration and 100% alignment with the new brand platform – Feel Out Loud – along with an innovative digital-first mindset and insatiable creativity grounded in donor-centered thinking.
The scope of responsibility includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Lead and oversee the success and growth of the national, major gifts program with a high-performing team of five and meticulous moves-management workflow.
- Act as a senior solicitor on behalf of Kids Help Phone, partnering with senior volunteers and executive staff members to adeptly and strategically partner on donor cultivation, asks and stewardship.
- Serve as a trusted advisor and liaison to donors, the CEO, senior executive, leadership volunteers (including Campaign Cabinet and Board members), allied professionals, and others, to coordinate strategies and help secure principal gift commitments.
- Meet and exceed personal and team production and cash goals annually.
- Smoothly and strategically engage the CEO, SVP(s) and senior volunteers in prospect development.
- Develop professional profile through industry events, networking and thought-leadership activities.
- Pursue professional development and training opportunities, including mentorship partnerships internally and externally.
- Develop and track program budget, key performance indicators against goals to ensure the prompt identification of challenges and solutions to ensure the achievement of targets.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of Funding Priorities and apply this knowledge in matching the interests and needs of prospects.
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills and experiences:
- Minimum ten years of progressive experience engaging with donors and managing fundraising programs, with a focus on principal and major gifts.
- A demonstrated ability to manage senior-level staff, and engage colleagues and teams at all levels to create collaborative impact.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and raise donor sights, articulate aspirational goals and institutional priorities, and effectively present philanthropic opportunities to high net-worth prospects and donors.
- Strong record of involvement in seven-and-eight-figure gifts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of diverse giving vehicles, as well as a demonstrated understanding of family wealth management and integrated gift strategies.
- Demonstrated success working with CEOs, senior executives and leadership volunteers to achieve shared goals.
- Strategic planning, budgeting and financial management skills to oversee and forecast the Principal Gifts portfolio in relation to established organization Funding Priorities.
- Ability to focus in a fast-paced environment and to multitask. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently, superior organizational skills and strict attention to detail, ability to work under deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Commitment to the mission, vision and goals of the organization.
- Proven consistency in providing superior customer service and applying sound judgment when dealing with donors and volunteers.
- Entrepreneurial, creative, strategic minded and energetic.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY
Kids Help Phone is an equal opportunity employer, values diversity of people and communities, and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our organization. We welcome applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who respect and reflect the diversity of service users.
Kids Help Phone is committed to providing barrier-free environment and accommodation in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Kids Help Phone’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
A detailed position profile is available upon request.
Siegel Executive Search Solutions Inc., member of the Executive Search Alliance, is advising the Kids Help Phone on the basis of an exclusive consulting assignment. Interested applicants may explore this opportunity in confidence by submitting a resume to email@example.com no later than April 21, 2023. The publication of this advertisement is neither an assurance that an applicant will be hired, nor that the position will be held open for any specific period of time in the event that a suitable candidate for the position is identified at an earlier date. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those who are considered for an interview will be contacted.