Fundraising Communications Specialist
JOB TITLE: Fundraising Communications Specialist
REPORTING TO: Vice President, Philanthropy
LOCATION: Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health & Wellness, with periodic travel to Brampton Civic and Etobicoke General Hospitals; hybrid model including work from home
WILLIAM OSLER HEALTH SYSTEM FOUNDATION:
Osler Foundation is the fundraising arm of William Osler Health System (Osler). Osler serves 1.3 million people in Brampton, Caledon, North Mississauga, Etobicoke, and the surrounding region. This is one of the fastest-growing and most ethnically diverse regions of Canada.
Osler Foundation builds and fosters relationships in our hospitals and the community to raise funds to support the clinical priorities at Brampton Civic Hospital and Etobicoke General Hospital, Osler’s two acute-care sites, and Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness.
As part of the Osler System family, we are committed to providing a fulfilling work environment that inspires our staff to learn, innovate and grow. Year after year, Osler is proud to be recognized as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers and Canada’s Best Diversity Employers.
Osler Foundation is equally committed to supporting our employees through flexible work arrangements, professional development, and a commitment to creating an environment of inclusiveness and belonging. Our team members are highly effective leaders, instructors, and mentors within the philanthropy sector with the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) and Association of Healthcare Philanthropists (AHP), including as current Chair, AFP Canada and AFP Fundraiser of the Year, 2019.
The Fundraising Communications Specialist is responsible for preparing various communications materials for the primary purpose of cultivating gifts and stewarding donors. Reporting to the Vice-President, Philanthropy, the Fundraising Communications Specialist is a natural storyteller, skilled at producing a variety of fundraising, stewardship, and marketing materials, with experience in health care philanthropy or a similar sector. The role includes creating content in collaboration with Osler’s clinical and administrative staff. The successful candidate will research, write, design, and produce funding proposals, impact and endowment reports, campaign case documents, funding summaries and priorities, speeches, web content, special correspondence and other materials as required.
This position is based at the Peel Memorial site in Brampton; occasionally, travel to our other hospital sites will be expected.
- Write transformational and major gift fundraising proposals that simplify complex medical concepts into easily understandable descriptions showing impact and encouraging donor engagement.
- Write compelling impact reports for major donors, collaborating with Osler Foundation staff and hospital staff.
- Represent the Osler and Osler Foundation brand to ensure a consistent look and feel and campaign expression.
- Support the Donor Relations team in executing communications materials for major gift announcements and stewardship events.
- Write communications materials such as presentations, speaking remarks, and Board reports.
- Conduct donor interviews to produce content that will represent the motivations and perspectives of Osler’s many diverse donors.
- Lead the development of Osler Foundation’s proposal templates, proposal and application content, and application materials.
- Forge strong relationships with hospital stakeholders, including physicians, nurses, clinicians, managers and directors, front-line staff, administrative staff, volunteers, and clients.
- Work closely with the Osler Foundation team to ensure all donor records in the CRM database have up-to-date information and that opportunities and gifts are correctly coded and allocated.
- Contributes to an upbeat, flexible, team-oriented, and collaborative work environment.
- A Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism, or a related major.
- 2+ years of professional writing experience for the health care sector, non-profit sector, or related fields.
- Proficient in writing a range of communications materials with emphasis on proposals, technical reports, briefing documents, presentations, and speaking notes.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, with knowledge of CP Style
- Experience in communicating and disseminating information to various audiences.
- Strong storytelling skills with interview and research experience.
- Critical thinker and self-starter with strong organizational, research, interviewing, and information-gathering skills, and demonstrated ability to adapt writing styles for various audiences and communications channels.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team to prioritize competing demands and deadlines in a fast-paced environment with daily deadlines and multiple projects.
- Demonstrated experience in assembling and analyzing information, prioritizing, drafting, collaborating, and editing.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite software applications, including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, with advanced knowledge of InDesign.
- CFRE designation is considered an asset.
- Experience with donor recognition and stewardship practices, with a good understanding of and respect for the donor cycle, journey, and experience.
- Valid driver’s license and access to an automobile.
WHAT YOU WILL ENJOY:
- A comprehensive benefits package including a defined-benefit pension plan (HOOPP), outstanding health/dental benefits, and a generous vacation allowance.
- An expected salary range of $65-79K.
- Opportunity for flexible work arrangement and location
- State-of-the-art accessible facility located close to major highways in Brampton, Ontario
- A dynamic and professional office setting in a hospital environment.
- A highly collaborative team environment with the opportunity to develop an enhanced suite of donor-centered communications materials.
Osler values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that comply with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please notify us through your application.
Please submit your cover letter and resume by email, as a PDF or Word document, addressed to Nicole McCahon, Vice President, Philanthropy, and email to: Suzanne.Highgate@williamoslerhs.ca.
Subject Line: Fundraising Communications Specialist
Deadline: Monday, May 16, 2022, at 5:00 pm
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone or walk-in inquiries, please. All applications are considered confidential.