The opportunity: Are you interested in helping young people change their lives? Are you passionate about social justice and a gifted fundraising generalist? Do you take your work seriously but not yourself? Then keep reading and play with us.
Section 1: Take our quiz! Read the items in column A and column B and answer the questions below:
|Column A||Column B|
|· You are excited about the prospect of growing a fundraising program||· You are a generalist with a solid grasp of some fundraising specialties|
|· You believe that young people deserve support to grow into the fullest version of themselves||· You understand the importance of data in a fundraising program and have experience managing a database|
|· You lead with humility; treat everyone with respect and recognize that success is thanks to a team effort||· You look forward to implementing an already developed bequest program that will be a foundation of YouthLink’s fundraising|
|· You have the self-confidence to work independently, with the self-awareness to seek coaching, support and advice as required||· You have major giving experience and/or are keen to learn more through experience.|
If you agreed with at least 3 statements from column A and from column B, proceed to section 2. If not, please proceed to Section 3, skip Sections 4 and 5 and then go to Section 6.
Section 2: Congratulations! You made it to the next section. Please respond to the following statements:
- I take my work seriously, but not myself.
- YES or NO
- I’m collaborative, self-motivated, and look forward to the opportunity to work independently from a hybrid home/on-site office combination as yet to be determined.
- YES or NO
- I know that being a good leader means knowing when to lead and when to let others lead.
- YES or NO
If you responded YES to all three statements, please keep reading. If you responded NO to any of them, please read section 3 and then skip to Section 6.
Section 3: Enough about you, let’s talk about us: We’re awesome, if we do say so ourselves. YouthLink is a multi-service agency offering counselling, parenting, housing, family support, outreach and education programs for youth aged 12 to 24 and their families. We imagine a strong Scarborough where all youth and their families thrive! Each year, our services reach over 2,600 marginalized young people and their families.
YouthLink has a long history of supporting young people, and is the former Big Sister Association of Metropolitan Toronto (est. 1914). We are also a registered charity, an anchor agency of the United Way Greater Toronto and are accredited by the Canadian Centre for Accreditation.
YouthLink has a staff compliment of just over 100 staff over 5 sites and extensive potential for expansion and deepening of services.
As an organization committed to equity and justice in our community, we believe lived experience and competency in equity, diversity, belonging and combatting anti-Black racism is a critical component in our recruitment process.
We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. If you have a disability and require accessibility accommodations with the application process, please contact email@example.com.
Section 4: OK, back to you: Thanks for taking the time to learn more about YouthLink. It sounds like you might have a lot of the skills and characteristics we are looking for that will help YouthLink grow and innovate!
From your hybrid home office/on-site work situation, with support and guidance from an established social justice fundraising consulting team, the Fundraising Lab, you’ll:
- Deliver and further develop a major giving program, finding key giving partners who want to help us achieve exciting new goals
- Participate in the development of, and then deliver on, a bequest program that honours our deep and interesting legacy of women fighting for social justice in Toronto
- Conduct an annual giving program to welcome community members to participate in the fight for a more just and fair community for young people
- Work collaboratively with YouthLink’s grant writer who, in partnership with your energy and expertise, will be able to leverage bigger and better opportunities.
- Carry out ongoing database management, to ensure we know exactly who our giving community is and that we have ways to involve them in all of our work.
- Deliver donor stewardship and mutual learning opportunities.
- Deliver a modest digital and social media program, sharing our resources and gratitude with the broader community.
- Be committed to continual growth and development, including ongoing and critical reflective work regarding Equity and combatting Anti-Black Racism. We believe a strong fundraising program acknowledges and centers both.
- Think big to innovate and grow the YouthLink fundraising program to support our big, audacious goals.
We could list the many qualities and qualifications we’d like you to have and we could list the many accountabilities this role will have. But you’re a professional and you know what it takes to inspire people to want to support an important mission. And you know what is required beyond donor solicitations to build relationships and position an organization for success now and in the future.
Section 5: Salary range and how to apply: YouthLink is moving to a transparent staffing pay structure. If you are interested in the position and have questions about the salary range, you can review additional information about YouthLink and the job in the Candidate Briefing.
Are you intrigued? Do you want to learn more? We really hope you’ll review the Candidate Briefing before you apply, to make sure our organizational values and the additional information you’ll learn about us feel like a fit for you.
Once you’re ready, send your resume and letter of interest/cover letter by March 31, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: Awesome Candidate Applying for Fundraising Manager role
If you’re the right person for this role, we want to speak with you and learn more about why this opportunity is right for both you and YouthLink. And we encourage you to send in your material as soon as possible, as we will be reviewing resumes as they arrive.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Section 6: Thanks for taking the time to learn more about YouthLink. We welcome the opportunity to expand our network of people who know about YouthLink’s life changing work. Everyone at YouthLink hopes you find the perfect job for you, whether it’s with us or some other fortunate organization.