Individual Giving Officer
ForAfrika is embarking on its 40th anniversary year, and we are looking to build up our team in Canada and the USA. Reporting into the Director of Development, North America, the Individual Giving Officer will be part of a global team that will help empower 20 million Africans to sustainably provide for themselves by 2032.
Before its rebranding in 2022, ForAfrika was known as JAM International. When our founder, the late Peter Pretorius, was left stranded in Pambarra, Mozambique in 1984, he saw the horrific consequences of starvation — children were dying around him every day. The experience changed his life forever and he and his wife Ann committed themselves to fighting for a better future for Africa’s children.
From initially only providing lifesaving nutritional relief in one country, the organization has grown to deliver a variety of localized program interventions in another five African countries: Angola, Rwanda, South Africa, South Sudan, and Uganda. Programs include: Emergency Response; Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Health & Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, Education, and Economic Empowerment.
We are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic Individual Giving Officer to join our fundraising team. This role will be responsible for supporting a comprehensive individual giving program, with the aim of increasing support and engagement from individual donors. The ideal candidate will have a passion for the international development sector and a track record of success in individual giving fundraising and/or marketing.
- Implement a comprehensive individual giving program, including direct mail, telemarketing, F2F and email campaigns.
- Develop and implement fundraising strategies to engage new and existing individual donors, including donor stewardship and appreciation programs.
- Collaborate with the marketing team to create compelling fundraising communications that motivate and inspire individual donors to give.
- Develop and execute social media strategies across all relevant platforms (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok, etc.) to increase brand awareness and engagement.
- Support third-party fundraising events including development of communications materials and management of individuals running the events.
- Analyze data and use it to inform and evaluate individual giving strategies, making recommendations for improvement.
- Represent the organization at community events, donor stewardship events, and other fundraising opportunities (where possible).
- Collaborate with other members of the fundraising team to ensure the integration and coordination of all fundraising efforts.
- Work with the finance team to manage and reconcile individual giving gifts, ensuring accurate and timely reporting.
- Process offline gifts, deposit cheques and generate gift acknowledgment letters (5% of role).
- Bachelor’s degree or College Diploma in fundraising, marketing, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 1-2 years of individual giving fundraising or marketing.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to help create compelling fundraising appeals and cultivate donor relationships.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to use data to inform fundraising strategies and make recommendations for improvement.
- Highly organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, with a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Knowledge of fundraising database systems (Salesforce or Raiser’s Edge an asset), with experience in managing donor data and reporting.
- French language an asset.
- While this role is fully remote, the person can be located anywhere in Canada.
If you are passionate about unlocking Africa’s resources so every African has the opportunity to thrive, and have the skills and experience we are looking for, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. Please submit your cover letter and resume (consolidated into one document) to email@example.com with the subject line “Individual Giving Officer”. Candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
ForAfrika is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and irrespective of gender, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in strictest confidence.